Slipstream Mod Manager v1.9.1 (2018-01-07)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
meklozz

Re: Slipstream Mod Manager v1.6 (2014-10-25)

Postby meklozz » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:08 pm

I tried Grognak's, it's functional.

stylesrj, do you mean the Large Address Aware about the Endless Loot? It wouldn't really matter if someone made something similar, the problem is that it's big so anything similar would probably run into the same issues. I did modify it once to use vanilla graphics and work on lower end computer, but I think it's pointless if you can just launch it as it's meant to be played.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:46 pm

stylesrj, do you mean the Large Address Aware about the Endless Loot? It wouldn't really matter if someone made something similar, the problem is that it's big so anything similar would probably run into the same issues. I did modify it once to use vanilla graphics and work on lower end computer, but I think it's pointless if you can just launch it as it's meant to be played.

Like I said, I'm not putting up a third party program to address one issue. It'd be nice to have the toaster but I don't want to risk having a nuclear reactor inside my house just to use it and that thing only.

Java on the other hand is used for a lot more things. And Slipstream is like a stove? Because you don't need a stove to cook your food but if you're looking to improve your playing experience, it's recommended. Does that mean Grognak's is like a coal-fired stove? It's functional and might get your job done but the fumes may be an issue.

I'm really going all-out with this metaphor aren't I?
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:03 am

Grognak might be more like a microwave, some stuff will work, just nothing too fancy. Actually I'm not sure if CE even uses advanced tags, it may very well work. The whole thing seemed a bit slower.

I don't really get your nuclear reactor thing, though. It's just a patch, just like modding is. I don't think that program even installs, it might be a portable little thing you'll launch once and toss out. If security is the issue (frankly worrying about java is probably more legit than something like that), you can use it elsewhere and move the ftl executable. If it's the amount of work, it's really not much. I don't know what else you could have a problem with. If a tool solves a problem, it's useful, it doesn't have to solve 10 of them.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:13 am

I go with nuclear reactor because despite everything in the media saying "This thing is way cleaner and safer than those coal-fired power stations you keep on building" that the general impression of nuclear energy is that it's dangerous, unstable and prone to melting down.
That's the impression I get when I'm told about a program that'll make 32-bit games use all the RAM as required. Endless Loot sounds lovely but I can still enjoy the rest of Captain's Edition without it. I can't imagine using the program or patch or whatever for anything else other than getting EL to work. There has not been another situation where I've gone "If only I had access to more memory in this game!" other than FTL and only with that one mod.

Hence why the whole "nuclear reactor to toaster" metaphor. Everything in the kitchen has a plug and works within the bounds of the power grid. Problem is that the toaster can't be used because it would overload the system. I'd like to have the toaster operational but it would mean plugging in that dodgy reactor I got from somewhere in Russia that was made during the Cold War and that dealer didn't really have any care about security when I bought it. I could plug it into the toaster but it might destroy my house (computer) in the process.

Java is like that sleazy guy running the big-box store. The products are fine but they keep on insisting you take some "special merchandise" every time you go back there and occasionally just throw it into your cart if you're not paying attention.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:32 am

You are way overthinking this, it's nowhere close to any kind of impact on anything else like that. There are a few bits in the program that let it allocate more RAM than 2GB, you're just editing it a little to let it know what it's allowed to do. Not even real changes to what FTL does on its own, just flags for the system. You don't even need the specialized program, just download any hex editor and I'll paste you a screenshot of what it does - change the values, hit save.

And there are a couple games where people benefit from it, that link that was floating around was actually for some other game IIRC.
somethingsimpleidk

Postby somethingsimpleidk » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:33 pm

i keep getting java.io.eofeexception how do i fix this?
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:00 am

somethingsimpleidk wrote:i keep getting java.io.eofeexception how do i fix this?

When loading a particular mod or..?

Re-download the mod files first, everything else, too, if that fails.
somethingsimpleidk

Postby somethingsimpleidk » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:20 am

Its when i try to use the infinite space mod i reinstalled it but it did not work
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:26 am

somethingsimpleidk wrote:Its when i try to use the infinite space mod i reinstalled it but it did not work

Reinstalled? Did you delete it, then go to the forum page and download it again?
somethingsimpleidk

Postby somethingsimpleidk » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:12 am

yes i deleted it and downloaded it again but got the same message