Slipstream Mod Manager v1.9.1 (2018-01-07)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
19acomst

Re: Slipstream Mod Manager v1.4 (2013-09-20)

Postby 19acomst » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:45 am

Hi. I'm having some trouble patching mods. whenever i try to patch a mod, there is a window that comes up saying something along the lines of "java cannot locate data.dat. Access denied. permission needed." and does not patch. I do have full control over the ftl folder, and i have java installed. any suggestions?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:34 am

@sculpy
Thanks, I try to fill the void while Vhati is busy :)

Regarding your problem, I suppose that could be caused either by the mod files themselves being damaged somehow -- in which case a redownload of said mods would help...

...Or you're installing CE+EL, which are known to be big enough to give SMM and FTL troubles (memory related):

• If SMM successfully installs the mod(s), but then FTL crashes, then that means that FTL doesn't have access to enough memory -- in this case, you'll need to use LAA on FTLGame.exe

• If SMM hangs while installing the mod, then you're likely using 32-bit version of Java. You'll need to install 64-bit version of Java (guaranteed to work, but requires a 64-bit system), or try increasing Java's heap space (not reliable).
    If you don't have a 64-bit system, and the latter doesn't work, then sadly you're SOL.

@19acomst
Find a folder named "resources" in FTL's directory, and make sure that data.dat and resource.dat located therein are not read-only -- an appropriate check box should be somewhere in the files' properties.
Last edited by kartoFlane on Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
19acomst

Postby 19acomst » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:11 pm

Thank you for responding. The resources folder is read only for some reason, and i need the admin password to change it. Thanks!

Edit: I tried to change the resources folder to be not read only by right clicking on the folder, selecting "properties" then un checking the read only box. I said to do this for all subfolders and files and typed in the admin password when prompted to. It said that there was an error and did not change. So i did it on the admin account, same process, but it changed to not read only . So i go to my account and use the manager, but the same original error message keeps appearing. What should ido?

Edit 2: I tried the other option in the readme. The "open as admin " one is not an option, because i don't have the admin password, and the one with the command prompt simply didn't recognize the "java jar -modman.jar" (or something like that) as a valid command.
Last edited by 19acomst on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sculpy

Postby sculpy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:37 pm

kartoFlane wrote:@sculpy
Thanks, I try to fill the void while Vhati is busy :)

Regarding your problem, I suppose that could be caused either by the mod files themselves being damaged somehow -- in which case a redownload of said mods would help...

...Or you're installing CE+EL, which are known to be big enough to give SMM and FTL troubles (memory related):

[list][*]If SMM successfully intalls the mod(s), but then FTL crashes, then that means that FTL doesn't have access to enough memory -- in this case, you'll need to use LAA on FTLGame.exe

Eureka!!! THank you SOOO much Mr Flane! You're a genius. You gave me back FTL! I guess it was a memory issue. Tried this LAA and on first startup, FTL froze and I thought I was SOL... but then it struggled through and after some hanging started going through the menus normally. Now it's starting up fine.

Arrrghh. THANKYOU!
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:27 pm

@19acomst
Oh, I assumed you had admin privileges, sorry.
In order to work correctly, SMM needs to have write permissions in Program Files folder, which is one of Windows' protected folders (hence all the talk about admin priviliges, etc).
So if your account doesn't have admin priviliges, you'll have to work around that issue by installing FTL somewhere outside of Program Files (for example, C:\FTL), and pointing SMM to that installation.
GamingLegion

Postby GamingLegion » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:05 pm

I can't remove the mods and play vanilla without uninstalling the game and install it again eventhough this should be possible with SMM.
I played CE for a little while and wanted to try out the Star Trek mod. So I "unchecked" all of the checkboxes and patched it, then I checked the one with the star trek mod and loaded it up (deleted the backup files you need to delete before I loaded it up). And when I started it CE's enemy ships and weapons and events were on eventhough I didn't check that check box in the modloader. So I tried making it vanilla again by unchecking all of the checkboxes and loaded it up, nothing changed. Uninstalled it and it was vanilla. Patched in one of the mods worked but I coudn't "unpatch" it.
It's really anoying to uninstall the game and install it again all the time. Please help me with this problem :)
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:09 pm

GamingLegion wrote:So I "unchecked" all of the checkboxes and patched it, then I checked the one with the star trek mod and loaded it up (deleted the backup files you need to delete before I loaded it up).

There's your problem. You probably misunderstood what "updating the backups" means. You have to do that only when FTL itself gets an update, not every time you wish to install different mods.

When you delete SMM's backups, it copies the dat archives over from the game's directory -- in your case, this means that it copied the archives with Captains Edition installed. That's how you've got CE stuck in.

So, to fix this, delete SMM's backups, reinstall FTL, then just don't delete backups again unless FTL receives a new patch.
kiimosabe

Postby kiimosabe » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:27 pm

HOW TO START?
I am currently using ubuntu to play FTL, I would like to mod but the mod manager wont start. I will download the linux version and it gives me command files. How do I run these command files? Total linux beginner here.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:16 pm

For me it works by running the command in the terminal. Open the terminal, drag and drop the command file into it and press enter. The terminal is an application, you can google-search how to run it for your Linux distribution if you can't find it immediately. Under Gnome its found under Applications/Accessories/Terminal.
Eotf

Postby Eotf » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:57 pm

Everything works fine e.g. no error message when patching the mods in but when I run the game I find that no mods have actually be installed. I know this isn't much to work on but any help?