FTL Captains Edition: Call for Events/Textlists

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
stylesrj

Re: FTL Captains Edition: Call for Events/Textlists

Postby stylesrj » Wed May 20, 2015 3:29 am

Sounds like good ideas but I like nitpicking people's hopes and dreams for an FTL mod. :lol:

scorpian3600 wrote:also my events
[vitanite core]
you arrive at an empty beacon just like any other
"power the ft..urgh" your thrown back and hear a loud explosion -3 hull (random breech)

Sounds unfair. Unavoidable hull damage. Then again, Black Holes are unavoidable fuel drainers which then could get you into trouble when you have no fuel left.

But still I think only the Rock Mine does that and you should avoid nebulae in a purple sector if you don't want to be hit with possible acid damage.

1.1[15%] you begin to open it and when the top is turned you pass out your crew closes the lid and jettisons the container
1.2 [35%] you open it and it explodes (-4 hull and a random crewmember dies)
1.3[50%] the inside is filled with glowing hunks of red metal you crew begins to twitch violently "it must be radio........." you and your crew are dead game over (game over)

Why would high radiation kill everyone and your ship's crew? Especially if you have medical facilities and Life Support. Perhaps instead it accelerates the Rebel Fleet as you have to wait a bit for the radiation to clear and the crew to recover.

Seriously though, there shouldn't be any one-shot kill events unless they're stupidly obvious. Opening/shooting a big red cylinder is obviously bad but not stupidly obvious because sometimes the big red cylinders have materials you can use at high risk (I played Convoy. There's an event with a big red barrel. Obviously you avoid it but it might be one full of fun if you play it riskily). Surrendering to the Rebels is stupidly obvious because they're the bad guys!

4.1[20%] it worked i can upgrade our reactor with this or our shields (continues with 4a.1)
4.2[20%] it worked but ill need more scrap to stabilize it it will kill us all if i dont (- 20 scrap continues with 4a.1)
4.3[40%] you see your zoltan crewmember sucked into the chamber and the metal turns green you use it to upgrade your reactor (+2 reactor lose zoltan crewmember)
4.4[20%] your zoltan crewmember dies his last words were "im sorry" the container explodes (-4 hull lose your zoltan crewmember)

You lose your Zoltan? I hate blue events that kill your crew. Blue events are supposed to avoid bad things, not create more. My personal least favourite is the quarantine zone in an infected sector. I put gel suits on everyone to avoid losing crew to disease/help out and what happens? Orbital bombardment out of nowhere kills my Rockman! Blue events shouldn't troll you like that.

4a.1 you upgrade your reactor by 4 (+4 power)
4a.2 you upgrade your shields (+2 shield bars (one shield unit))
4a.3 (supershield)your zoltan crewmember explains that he can upgrade your supershield with this metal (gain agument called zoltan ubershield (2x the supershield)

That augment will not work. No such thing exists in the game mechanics. Two Zoltan Shield augments means one gets scrapped as the effects don't stack.

Anyway, time to nitpick the other ideas:

L'cie wrote:1a) as you recover scrap from one of the wrecks, a massive Lanius ship decloaks, and it immediately opens with a salvo that destroys your engines. There is no running from this fight. (Fight powerful Lanius ship with cloak, 3 hull damage, engines offline, small amount of scrap)

Disables or destroys? Because a destroyed Engine can be fixed.

1b) you find a powerful weapon, but as you are installing it a powerful Lanius ship decloaks. It's first salvo destroys your piloting system, fatality wounding your pilot. As the remainder of your crew try to recover the Lanius move in for a second attack. (Fight powerful Lanius ship with cloak, 2 hull damage, piloting offline, random crew member killed, random powerful weapon aquiered)

One-shots your pilot? That must be some powerful gun the Lanius have.

3) powering up your sensors, you discover that a wrecked zoltan ship still has a working shield system. As you recover and install it, a massive Lanius ship decloaks and fires a salvo. You manage to bring your new shields online, but weapons control has taken minor damage. You prepare to fight the ship. (Zoltan shield acquired, one power bar locked out on weapons, fight powerful lanius ship with cloak)

So your sensors find a Zoltan ship with working shield tech, but they can't see a Lanius vessel until it's too late? Especially if it's your powerful Sensors, not your puny Level 1 scanners.

There should be an option for the Subspace Scanner. That thing exists to ruin a Cloaking Device's day.

"You find a Zoltan ship. As you go to salvage the tech..."

(Subspace Scanner)Something is cloaked nearby

"You discover a Lanius ship preparing to fire upon you. You return fire instead and it decloaks."

-Combat options apply-

4) finding strange cryo pods amongst the wrecks you send them to your advanced Medway to awaken their occupants.
As the first one wakes he begs you not to open the others, but it is too late. Three Lanius emerge and attack, and a powerful ship decloaks (acquire one random crew member, 3 Lanius intruders onboard, Medbay offline, fight powerful lanius ship with cloak)

Why is the medbay offline? The resources to open a cryopod shuts it down? Can't I squeeze some extra power out of it? What if I'm using a Clone Bay? Shouldn't be too hard to clone the pod's occupant.
L'cie

Postby L'cie » Wed May 20, 2015 4:22 am

To stylesrj, thanks for the assessment. However, I would like to clear up some things.
1. I imagine this as a flagship or other heavy cruiser, so it would have top of the line guns that could take out systems in one salvo
2. Also, I would have the systems destroyed. Having them offline for the entire fight would be to unfair
3. As for the scanners, while I do plan to have a go at CE, I haven't played it yet so I'm not aware of all the new features such as the sub space scanner. However, it could be possible that the Lanius have some sort of advanced cloak that can't be detected by normal scanners.
4. I should have been clearer on this one, and I will edit the original post to reflect this. The Lanius would have come out of cryo sleep and attacked the crew, destroying the Medbay in the crossfire (once again, destroyed so it can be repaired).
Thanks for bring me up on these problems.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed May 20, 2015 5:24 am

Just so you know, a blue option should reward you for having the right equipment at the time (again, I really hate that troll event in the quarantine sector that comes out of friggin nowhere!)

It shouldn't create a new/worse/different punishment. So having advanced sensors should mean that cloaked ship can be detected before it does damage (forget finding the Zoltan Shield)
Or having an advanced medbay/clone bay should mean you get new crew you would have otherwise lost (without the hostile intruders who go and blow it up).

Also, a Lanius ship with powerful guns that destroy an entire system in one salvo? I know some events you arrive at force you into an asteroid field because a pirate fired at you with pre-ignited weapons and you dodge into the field to prevent it happening again.
That would work better. It uncloaks and forces you into a hazard zone.
Estel

Postby Estel » Sat May 30, 2015 11:53 pm

While some ideas are interesting, I reinforce the idea that blue events shouldn't hurt you. the closest thing to that was a engi-killing virus blue event and engi blue option, which resulted in erradicating your crew-member, fight, but *after* fight, your engi was re-populated and rebuild by the virus itself (giving it many skill specialization). This was interesting and acceptable (albeit some players might find themselves fcked if they die in fight and never realize real award was waiting ;) ), but we shouldn't go further than that with blue events.

/Estel
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 31, 2015 6:24 am

I should mention that the Virus event isn't that hurtful, unless you're flying the Engi B and didn't pick up anyone or create any AI avatars (which I understand. I once got 3 Happy Birthday events consecutively. The avatar generator was right though. I did sell the damned thing after the 3rd failed attempt. See I wouldn't have done that if you obeyed my request. Artificial Intelligence? Bah!)
MedicShy

Postby MedicShy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:39 pm

Event 1:

You arrive at the beacon as a weakened Zoltan ship hails you... "We are in need of assistance, would you kindly send anyone to help with repairs?" the Zoltan captain says.

1a. Fire at the ship, they're weak and they're probably pirates.
1b. (Send Human Crew Member)
1c. (Blue Option) (Send Engi Crew Member)
1d. (Blue Option) (Send Rock Crew Member)

2a. You shoot the ship, "What are you doing?!" the Zoltan says, "Power up the Shields!" (Initiates Combat) (The ship is weak, it only has 5 Hull Points, it will immediately start powering it's FTL drive)
2b. "They're good enough," About an hour passes and you finally get another answer, "Thank you for your assistance." They give you a moderate cache of Scrap and warp away. (REWARD: Moderate Scrap, Federation Fleet Doubled For 1 Jump) (Federation Doubled is because of time passage)
2c. "Just what we needed!" About 10 minutes pass and your Engi crew member returns safely, "Thank you for your assistance and fast service." They manage to spare a good amount of Scrap and a Weapon for your ship. (REWARD: Large Scrap Reward, 1x Random Weapon)
2d. "You idiot! Letting IT on our ship!" About 5 minutes pass and you are finally informed of the tragic event,"Your Rockman seemed to have a nice time visiting our airlock." your Rockman crew member is probably floating in space now, no hope to save him. (REWARD: Lose Rock Crew Member)

Event 2:

A pirate-controlled Federation ship hails you, "We demand the surrender of your goods, order of the Federation." The captain and his crew seem to be attempting trickery, you notice their Shields System is offline, and it seems you can get a clear shot on the ship.

1a. Say that you're with the Federation.
1b. (Blue Option) (Fire on their Weapons System with your Ion weapon)
1c. (Blue Option) (Send over some scrap and attach a bomb to it) (Requires a Breach Bomb)
1d. Surrender some Scrap, you don't want any trouble.

2a. "Just surrender your goods or we'll fire on you!" (Initiates Combat)
2b. "What happened?! Fire the weapons!" the Captain says, immediately after, another crew member states, "The weapons are offline! We need to surrender!" The captain accepts defeat and they surrender some scrap and a few other goodies. (REWARD: Small Scrap Reward, 1x Random Weapon, 1x Random Drone)
2c. The scrap is sent and the bomb detonates, a hole in the ship is created and the ship fully vents out, killing everyone inside, you decide to salvage the ship. (REWARD: Low Scrap Reward, 1x Random Missile Weapon)
2d. "You better give us the scrap." They warp away before you can do anything else. (REWARD: Lose Low Scrap)
MOD EDIT: Please keep signatures to 750x150 or smaller.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:29 am

I like those events MedicShy... although nitpicking!

MedicShy wrote:2a. You shoot the ship, "What are you doing?!" the Zoltan says, "Power up the Shields!" (Initiates Combat) (The ship is weak, it only has 5 Hull Points, it will immediately start powering it's FTL drive)

This should also count as a piracy action and with the consequences

2b. "They're good enough," About an hour passes and you finally get another answer, "Thank you for your assistance." They give you a moderate cache of Scrap and warp away. (REWARD: Moderate Scrap, Federation Fleet Doubled For 1 Jump) (Federation Doubled is because of time passage)

You mean Rebel Fleet. The Federation are who we're trying to save.
Also, I wouldn't mention "An hour passes" as an excuse for the Rebel Fleet's advancement. Time between jumps is vague. Some events say "Several hours pass and you get your reward" with no Rebel Fleet progress made. So "Some time passes and you finally receive an answer" would work better.

2d. "You idiot! Letting IT on our ship!" About 5 minutes pass and you are finally informed of the tragic event,"Your Rockman seemed to have a nice time visiting our airlock." your Rockman crew member is probably floating in space now, no hope to save him. (REWARD: Lose Rock Crew Member)

While hilarious, wut? Blue events should not screw you over like that.
Seriously though... imagine if you're the Captain(s) in this situation.

Captain: I'll send one of my crew over.
Zoltan: Ok fine.
*Crew comes over on shuttle*
Zoltan: That's a Rockman!
Rock: You got a problem? I'm a skilled engineer just like everyone else.
Zoltan: *thinking* He'll ruin everything!
Zoltan: Hey can you go fix that airlock over there.
Rock: Sure!
*Gets spaced*
Zoltan: ... and you see he was a Rockman. So we spaced him! You were idiots for sending him over.
Captain: *facepalming* How about I send over my Mantis? Via teleporter. Into your face. Moron.

It really doesn't make any sense that because you send a Rock over that they are immediately spaced and the Zoltan get away with it. Might I suggest something else, like:

Your Rockman is sent over and it turns out the stranded Zoltan were a crew of unlucky pirates. They wipe the ship clean of the vagrants and you collect the spoils (Standard reward from boarding action).

Sort of like that Slug event with the damaged oxygen except it's a Rock not a Mantis.

Event 2:

A pirate-controlled Federation ship hails you, "We demand the surrender of your goods, order of the Federation." The captain and his crew seem to be attempting trickery, you notice their Shields System is offline, and it seems you can get a clear shot on the ship.

There's already an event similar to this one where some pirate pretends to be Federation and you can attack them.
It sounds like one of those except you can use specific equipment to end the fight.
MedicShy

Postby MedicShy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:35 am

You mean Rebel Fleet.

I messed that up, sorry for the inconvenience, I'm not the best at FLT lore.

It really doesn't make any sense that because you send a Rock over that they are immediately spaced and the Zoltan get away with it. Might I suggest something else,

As I think of this more and more, it doesn't make sense to me either, your change fits nicely into this spot.

There's already an event similar to this one where some pirate pretends to be Federation and you can attack them.

I haven't yet seen this event though... Could be 2 variants maybe, one where you can use equipment and one where you can't...
Or not, who knows what'll be added to this.

Your opinion has been helpful, so good day/night (it really depends) to you.
MOD EDIT: Please keep signatures to 750x150 or smaller.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:25 am

MedicShy wrote:As I think of this more and more, it doesn't make sense to me either, your change fits nicely into this spot.

Yeah... blue events which kill crew members is something I greatly dislike. Especially after that Quarantine Zone that killed my Rockman after I gave him an adaptive gel suit. Of course if I had a Clone Bay he would have been saved (as opposed to not going protected meaning I'd lose my crew to disease with no chance of revival)
baconpancakes9

Postby baconpancakes9 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:29 pm

EVENT IDEA

you come across a federation fleet covered in what appears to be some sort of purple substance

1a. just wait for the ftl to charge

never trust the color purple...

1b. investigate

1.33.3% you are suddenly hailed by the captain of the fleet. he explains that they flew some immensly dense nebula clouds and some of it stuck to the ships. he offers you some spare scrap
1a. accept
REWARD: med scrap
1b. ask for fuel
"i don't see why not..."
REWARD: 7 fuel
1.c: vin beam: explain that you are of high fed command and request more
"ok but that could take a while, you ok with that?
1.a accept
REWARD: fleet pursuit x2 for one jump, high resources, med scrap and 5 repair
1.b just take the scrap from before
REWARD: med scrap
2.66.6% as you get closer, you discover they are pirates! you must escape quickly.

2.a. pick off one of the solders while your ftl charges
REWARD: fight a fed pirate while a PDS fires on you

2.b fight the flagship
REWARD: fight a extremely powerful pirate while a PDS fires on you
DEFEAT THE FLAGSHIP: when the ship parts clear, all the ships are gone. ah well, more scrap for you.
REWARD: high scrap, rarity 4 weapon and high resources

2.c contact fed command immediately

2. 20% after relaying a signal to multiple stations, you finally get it to a fed one. an old man greets you and says all units are off fighting the fleet
2.a. fight a soldier
REWARD: fight a pirate ship while a PDS hits you

2.b vin beam request permission to overcharge the beam and take out the gunship.
"I don't see why not..."
your beam is stressed to the limit and tears a small gash in your hull as the gunship blows to bits. this will be a little easier, despite the fact its gonna take a month for the puppy to cool down
REWARD: fight a pirate ship with your artillery system disabled and you take 2 hull damage

2. 20% your signal can't reach anything of the federation's military. darn...
REWARD:fight a fed pirate while a PDS fires on you

2.20% just as you finally get the signal to a fed station, the pirates gunships land a shot on you and take out your comms link. crap.
REWARD:fight a fed pirate while a PDS fires on you and 3 hull damage

2.20% the unencrypted signal gets to the fleet. they use it to determine where you are while using it to link a virus into your engines, likely to slow or stop your escape.
REWARD:fight a fed pirate while a PDS fires on you and engine power is limited to two. fleet pursuit is doubled for one jump aswell

2. 20% you are in luck! it reaches a large federation fleet and they should be here in a short while
REWARD: fight a pirate with a PDS firing on you.
IF YOU BEAT IT: the fed fleet reaches you and chases away the pirates and gives you some supplies
REWARD: low scrap, med resources and 5 hull repair.
wow, this is a nice signature...