The Shipyard

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
5thHorseman

Re: The Shipyard

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:58 pm

dalolorn wrote:Actually, it's quite difficult when all you have are Paint and FastStone Image Viewer. (which I actually managed to use for repurposing ingame assets)

It's simple as pie if you only have those, because you can always download Gimp for free :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:31 pm

5thHorseman wrote:
dalolorn wrote:Actually, it's quite difficult when all you have are Paint and FastStone Image Viewer. (which I actually managed to use for repurposing ingame assets)

It's simple as pie if you only have those, because you can always download Gimp for free :)

Of course everybody assumes I'm in a position where I can do such a thing... can't blame them, I guess... :|
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:53 pm

Are you like, playing and modding FTL at work?
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:23 pm

dalolorn wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:

Of course everybody assumes I'm in a position where I can do such a thing... can't blame them, I guess... :|

I can only assume you don't have administrator rights on the Windows computer that you seem to be using based on having Paint available to you. Someone installed FTL for you on the computer, so they don't mind you playing games. I doubt they would mind your making images as well.

Unless you're side-loading FTL somehow like off a USB stick, if those sorts of tricks even work any more. In that case, I'd assume Gimp could be run the same way.

Essentially, however you got FTL to run, be it permission, subterfuge, or something else, should also work for Gimp. Unless you're in some crazy situation that I simply can't conceive of but as you haven't said what it is I can't know it.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

Vhati

Postby Vhati » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:47 am

5thHorseman wrote:Unless you're side-loading FTL somehow like off a USB stick, if those sorts of tricks even work any more. In that case, I'd assume Gimp could be run the same way.

App: GIMP Portable

Runs in a self-contained directory, with no installation.
The linked exe will create that directory.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:33 am

Even though i dislike GIMP (esp. on windows) it's probably ideal because it's free. But any app that let's you zoom in and do point by point selections or tolerance based "magic" selections will help when cropping. FastStone is awesome stuff, but not a full fledged bitmap editor.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:52 am

5thHorseman wrote:I can only assume you don't have administrator rights on the Windows computer that you seem to be using based on having Paint available to you. Someone installed FTL for you on the computer, so they don't mind you playing games. I doubt they would mind your making images as well.

Unless you're side-loading FTL somehow like off a USB stick, if those sorts of tricks even work any more. In that case, I'd assume Gimp could be run the same way.

Essentially, however you got FTL to run, be it permission, subterfuge, or something else, should also work for Gimp. Unless you're in some crazy situation that I simply can't conceive of but as you haven't said what it is I can't know it.

If parental restrictions count as "crazy situations"... :P

I do have administrator rights, but there's only so much I can safely do. :|
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:40 pm

dalolorn wrote:If parental restrictions count as "crazy situations"... :P

I do have administrator rights, but there's only so much I can safely do. :|

That does count as crazy. Your parents are okay with you playing video games but they restrict your creativity by not letting you install an image editor?

I'm not saying it's a great use of your time or anything, but compared to playing FTL it's far more productive. Playing FTL you get experience playing FTL. Editing files for FTL you get experience you can use (if the past 30 years of my life is any indication) the rest of your life.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:20 pm

5thHorseman wrote:
That does count as crazy. Your parents are okay with you playing video games but they restrict your creativity by not letting you install an image editor?

I'm not saying it's a great use of your time or anything, but compared to playing FTL it's far more productive. Playing FTL you get experience playing FTL. Editing files for FTL you get experience you can use (if the past 30 years of my life is any indication) the rest of your life.

Agreed.

Anyways, Ultramantis, I'd like to know if you have any designs for a Marauder Light Cruiser that is compatible with the KMN Shale-Class Frigates in terms of aesthetic design- I'm running into a brick wall here.

Total volume should exceed the ICN Javelis-Class Destroyers but smaller than a regular cruiser; less internal volume than the Kestrel, around that of the Stealth Cruiser would be ideal.
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:03 pm

As requested by XionGaTaosenai here:

Engi Pirate Ships
ImageImage

Dropbox download directory (zips containing hull image + gibs): Pirate Ships
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL