The Shipyard

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
elijahdb

Re: The Shipyard

Postby elijahdb » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:12 am

Infested_Angel wrote:Can somone tell how I can Edit Ships? I would like to recolour the Flagship in many colors and have no clue how to do it. (Program, Things to know, etc.)

Use paint.net and/or GIMP. I use GIMP for glow because it's easier and paint.net for the actual art.
As for getting the images themselves, just download slipstream mod manager (SMM) and there's a button that says export files; it takes out the game's coding and art for people to look at and edit. You can see how to make your custom art into FTL by looking at the modding tools and tutorials in their topic.
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Check out the details here.
Infested_Angel

Postby Infested_Angel » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:24 am

elijahdb wrote:
Infested_Angel wrote:Can somone tell how I can Edit Ships? I would like to recolour the Flagship in many colors and have no clue how to do it. (Program, Things to know, etc.)

Use paint.net and/or GIMP. I use GIMP for glow because it's easier and paint.net for the actual art.
As for getting the images themselves, just download slipstream mod manager (SMM) and there's a button that says export files; it takes out the game's coding and art for people to look at and edit. You can see how to make your custom art into FTL by looking at the modding tools and tutorials in their topic.

I already knew about Slipstream. I'm creating Flagships for every Race right now and needed recolours for this. GIMP works good for me. So a big Thanks.
Check it out and try to guess the race it will be used for :D http://imgur.com/RkYhslV Altough it is not the best work I'm proud of it
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:06 pm

Nice job! Keep at it!
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:16 pm

A while agi, I messed around with image degradation and procedural recolouring to give the game a GBA themed appearance. That didn't really go anywhere, since many UI elements have hardcoded colours as far as I can tell. Image(ingame)
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:12 pm

Sure, here you go: FTL GBA palette swap with dithering.ft.

But again, its pretty wonky ingame. I guess it would work better with the original gameboys greenish colour palette, since health and systems wouldn't stick out as much, but there would still be random red UI elements and there seems to be no way to get rid of that. :| Also looking at It now I apparently forgot to include drones in the thing. :|
stargateprovider

Postby stargateprovider » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:43 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Sure, here you go: FTL GBA palette swap with dithering.ft.

But again, its pretty wonky ingame. I guess it would work better with the original gameboys greenish colour palette, since health and systems wouldn't stick out as much, but there would still be random red UI elements and there seems to be no way to get rid of that. :| Also looking at It now I apparently forgot to include drones in the thing. :|

But the GBA had more colours didn't it, so why is it all grayish? Not that I really mind, I like it anyway. This actually reminds me how I wanted to make a NES palette swap mod once... and it kinda made me want to do that again.
Some of my FTL mods you may like, or hate, or... yeah:
Image Image
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:23 pm

stargateprovider wrote:But the GBA had more colours didn't it, so why is it all grayish? Not that I really mind, I like it anyway. This actually reminds me how I wanted to make a NES palette swap mod once... and it kinda made me want to do that again.
Not sure, I based that on wikipedia, claiming the game boy was using monochrome four colour, although game boy advanced might have had a larger palette. Now that you say it the palette probably doesn’t even match, might be that I just made one up. Looking forward to colour swaps you can come up with. I wanted to do that as well at some point, but couldn't get bothered in the end, since it seems that the hard-wired UI colour would always spoil it a bit.

Qwerty343D wrote:Part of me actually wonders though, Could someone put FTL on a GBA? or at the very least a DS?
Technical requirements for hand helds are getting more lax now, or so I have hear, but since the game is build in a custom engine it might still be hell of a work to do. Would be easier to port if its made in unity actually. And of course there is the question of whether it would actually play that well due to different control schemes and the like. Well, there was this one person on redit that did a simple gba style clone though, if you wanna check it out there is a download in this video description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXZ9AbNoPI0

//Edit: Oh ok, I guess I meant the game boy pocket, game boy advance indeed had way more colours apparent. Guess I'll have my "real gamer" license revoked then. :o :D :P
isla

Postby isla » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:31 pm

And yeah, the GBA was capable of... 256 colors? 512? One of those two.

Gameboy Color:
  • Palette colors available: 32,768 (15-bit)
  • Colors on screen: Supports 10, 32 or 56

GBA details:

• Color support: 15-bit BGR (5 bits depth per channel), capable of displaying 512 simultaneous colors in "character mode" and 32,768 (215) simultaneous colors in "bitmap mode".
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:45 am

Yo where in regards to the GBA. As mentioned above, I misremembered the name of the hand-held. I didn't mean the Game Boy Advance, rather the the Game Boy Pocket, and even in that regard I didn't use the correct colour palette, since Game Boy Pocket used a monochrome 4 shades of grey instead of the blueish stuff I used. (source)
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:11 am

I think either NarnKar or RAD82 did this hull, I just polished it up.

I know NarnKar did this one, also polished.