The Shipyard

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
steamtex

Re: The Shipyard

Postby steamtex » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:09 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:Um... I can take a gander at making those ships... do I have to try to make it as strict to the original art as possible or should I try to do what CE did and downscale the ship and remove/ alter/ add features?

Fine by me to do what CE did, mainly for the sake of whatever it is not looking terrible. But don't downscale it too much: You can compare the two fleetfed images and you'll notice the one I did was longer than the other. The other also happens to be the Osprey, which means the Federation (frigate?) will have to be longer than the Fed cruisers.
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:47 pm

steamtex wrote:Terrible, I know, but you only have to look at a small part of it while flying it thanks to the floor image.

I don't think it's terrible at all! It's actually pretty cool! I guess the original sprite was meant to be, like, bigger probably? But I like it! It feels... i don't know, fresh or something! I like the way you splice ship a lot.
ImageImageImageImageImage
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:10 am

steamtex wrote:
R4V3-0N wrote:Um... I can take a gander at making those ships... do I have to try to make it as strict to the original art as possible or should I try to do what CE did and downscale the ship and remove/ alter/ add features?

The other also happens to be the Osprey, which means the Federation (frigate?) will have to be longer than the Fed cruisers.

I do not quite buy it that 1 of the two fleetfed ships is the osprey. I mean if it is, you got a pair of these long range lasers that ignore shields that could probably destroy the rebel flagship in just a single blow combined.
On top of that it's description mentions how it is brand new, I doubt the last federation fleet the same one that lasted for awhile has more then a bakers dozen.

Osprey miniship art (resized a lil to match the length of the fed cruiser art length) compared to unknown federation cruiser...

Notice how none of the details carry over AT ALL.

I am not trying to put a damper on your pirade, but it isn't an exact match, not by a long shot. Even the estimated front looks different. as well as the bridge, the mid section, and vaguely the engines. (looks like a 4 exhaust engine to me on the fedcruiser)

However that isn't stopping me from going to replicate both =P
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:31 am

I do not quite buy it that 1 of the two fleetfed ships is the osprey. I mean if it is, you got a pair of these long range lasers that ignore shields that could probably destroy the rebel flagship in just a single blow combined.
On top of that it's description mentions how it is brand new, I doubt the last federation fleet the same one that lasted for awhile has more then a bakers dozen.

I was going to say that the weapon is new but the ship is probably just the latest design, but then again the event with the Flagship Construction in the Rebel Stronghold says:

As you are leaving you detect an interesting Federation ship signal. Apparently the Rebels were reverse engineering the advanced weaponry on a prototype Federation cruiser. You don't know how they captured the ship intact but you program its FTL drive to return the ship to the nearest Federation base. You just hope it gets there unharmed.

This makes it lean towards the ship being a prototype (or brand spanking new). Perhaps the ship we're looking at in the fleet is an earlier-model Osprey, without the Artillery Beam. So the side profile might be different as it doesn't have the hardware.
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:58 am

I figured I'd dig up some stuff from my trashed projects rather than let it go to waste (though the logos probably won't get any since they're specifically C&C).

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:59 am

stylesrj wrote:

I was going to say that the weapon is new but the ship is probably just the latest design, but then again the event with the Flagship Construction in the Rebel Stronghold says:

As you are leaving you detect an interesting Federation ship signal. Apparently the Rebels were reverse engineering the advanced weaponry on a prototype Federation cruiser. You don't know how they captured the ship intact but you program its FTL drive to return the ship to the nearest Federation base. You just hope it gets there unharmed.

This makes it lean towards the ship being a prototype (or brand spanking new). Perhaps the ship we're looking at in the fleet is an earlier-model Osprey, without the Artillery Beam. So the side profile might be different as it doesn't have the hardware.

Being a fan of things that goes pew pew, dakka dakka, zap, and fromph.

I would say that due to the severe changes between the Osprey and let's just call the other one the "Hawk" just for now. Is that the Hawk has different engines nearly completely, the front of the connections to the engines (the 'wings'), and the nose of the ship and the bridge is different BUT the "wing" design is relatively similar as well as the Profile.

Kinda like comparing these 3 WWII planes. in order it's the Typhoon, Tempest, and Fury.

All 3 are different planes with nearly completely different characteristics between them.

Inspired of the previous to replace it.

Which could be the difference between the hawk and the osprey if you know what I mean.
Still differents.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:46 pm

I agree with stylesrj, the Osprey is probably just a version of the Hawk adapted to function with the artillery beam. The Hawk is seen everywhere in the fleet which means it's probably been around for a while, so maybe when they gave it the latest in Federation technology they applied the latest in hull geometry as well.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:41 am

Chrono Vortex wrote:I agree with stylesrj, the Osprey is probably just a version of the Hawk adapted to function with the artillery beam. The Hawk is seen everywhere in the fleet which means it's probably been around for a while, so maybe when they gave it the latest in Federation technology they applied the latest in hull geometry as well.

Now I've got to call the common Federation Cruiser in my fanfic the Hawk Class (I already call the Osprey types the Vindicator Class due to the Vindicator Artillery Beam... which was a name Captain's Edition gave it even though it's not a type of polearm and violates standard naming protocols)

Of course this would mean actually going back to it... but I think Hawk (or Eagle. Or Falcon) would be a good name for the non-Vindicator Federation Cruiser.

Then again, I call the Fed C a Sparrow-Class Destroyer :lol:

EDIT: This begs the question about the Fed C. Is the Flak Artillery a step-up from the Vindicator or a step-down? Which one is actually more high-tech? Because I'm under the impression Flak guns are essentially just repurposed mass drivers due to the desperation of the war and actually not better than the laser-tech.
So that would mean the Fed C is either a Vindicator Class repurposed or is an old design with an old weapon being retrofitted.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:22 am

I would say that the flak is in a way a down-grade of the vindicator beam.

Theoretically the Vindicator beam can kill any ship that isn't running away without any other weapons in need to support it as it does damage anyway through 5 shields and such.
Flak can not do that and needs support weapons in the later sectors.
We can see that this is a weapon that the pirates got there hands on- which can mean it is a make-shift weapon of sorts and not exactly military use (or even legal...). However looking at the unique cammo scheme and the damn ship itself (the Osprey) it is possible this is no ordinary pirates and probably have there own (relatively well treated) scientists with them as well as possibly being high-end Federation crew that may have left due to not wanting to be associated with the Federation and be attacked by them nor want to join the Rebels. We see the Flak cannon used particularly by pirates and lanius who are often near debry and thus use it as ammunition. it is possible to evolve from a higher end weapon that failed in the past and reworked by the lanius and the pirates who dare venture into these abandoned battlefields possibly scavenged it.

Either way, the Flak cannon seems to be a high end-ish weapon per say but not exactly top secret or military grade kind of equipment.

Also the Osprey is rumoured to be a precision long range cruiser while the Fed C doesn't appear to be able to do range at all considering it uses flak.

Another note: there is an "Advance" flak which is found on the lanius ship, backing up the theory the lanius actually kicked this weapon into production and that it being 'advanced' may mean this is an even higher end weapon then normal.

With the Flak cannon and the presence being on the Fed cruiser I will say this is probably very high end but not as high as the vindicator beam because unlike the Flak artillery (which has a standard weapon form) the vindicator beam is not in any form in vanilla game, not even a beam that does 1 shield pen normally (However it was originally planed that there is an augment in game that gives all beams to bypass 1 shield) which we have no idea how rare or common that would have been.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:29 am

When you have energy shields and lasers, a flak gun does look kinda low-tech (throwing rocks at the enemy? How archaic).

New theory:

Maybe the Fed C was an Osprey (or Hawk... Vindicator) that got captured by pirates during a failed run. Because the Artillery was damaged and that pirates don't know how to rebuild a top secret shield-piercing laser... they swapped it out for a mass driver (Or Flak...) because that sort of thing is easier to install.

That could explain why it's got the same shape and that colour scheme.

EDIT: Someone needs to make those Federation Fleet ships in the background in more colours. Like green and yellow (matches the Nisos).
Although I wonder why the green and yellow paintjob is associated with Civilians in mods considering again the Vindicator is a secret weapon?