The Shipyard

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Chrono Vortex

Re: The Shipyard

Postby Chrono Vortex » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:33 pm

How about a giant shield piercing fire and/or anti-bio beam? Or some kind of missile that splits up after it's launched by using flak mechanics?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
steamtex

Postby steamtex » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:39 pm

Chrono Vortex wrote:How about a giant shield piercing fire and/or anti-bio beam? Or some kind of missile that splits up after it's launched by using flak mechanics?

Beam artillery seems overdone a bit. I'm liking the idea of the missile, a la Just Cause 3 (it might be absolutely stupid, but if it works, it isn't stupid). Plus, Flak Artillery is garbage, so we'll just pretend it doesn't exist. THE FLAK ARTILLERY IS NOW A BURST MISSILE.
Last edited by steamtex on Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:56 pm

Flak Artillery isn't garbage if you're using missiles instead of flak. Having a whole bunch of missiles impact with the enemy ship is a lot more devastating that throwing rocks.
SciGuy303

Postby SciGuy303 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:09 pm

Here is a recoloured extens=ded rebel fighter used in my RP:
Feel free to modify/recolour it.
I do random stuff and surf on the fourms. That's about it.
steamtex

Postby steamtex » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:28 pm

SciGuy303 wrote:Here is a recoloured extens=ded rebel fighter used in my RP:
Feel free to modify/recolour it.

Hm...

This reminds me of something I made not even a month ago...

I'm not saying. I'm just saying. Either way, it ain't bad.

Also, have a player-size AI cruiser, pretty lazy combination of two CE ships, plus a decent cloak image (which took longer to make than it should have)

EpsilonEthereal

Postby EpsilonEthereal » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:28 pm

As much as I'd hate do admit it, I SUCK at modding FTL. I've tried many a things and failed at it all, and I realize now that I'm happy with modding ships in Superluminal2 and that is that :P But I wanted to try one, ONE more thing. And that was to have a pure Crystal Cruiser. So I went to work in Superluminal2. The idea was simple. All of the Crystal Weapons (excluding the Lockdown Bomb, I don't like missile weapons) and sticking them on the Crystal Cruiser, as well as an all Crystal crew (4 to start). I was finished in ~5 minutes. I opened it up in SMM, loaded up FTL and then realized that all the Crystal weapons combined require 9 weapons power. I thought to myself "Well I know that'd be overpowered...but I want to see how it looks." I went back to superluminal, opened up the old file, set it to save as a resource folder instead of an FTL file, edited the XML aaaand nothing. No, really, nothing. I edited the file from power = "8" to power = "9" or whatever. I changed the one number, rezipped it, renamed, SMM, the whole process. When I loaded it up in the game, it was still the same Crystal A, instead of my completely overpowered pure crystal ship.

So now I'm here, at the forums, wondering where I went wrong. Something tells me that if/when I get a reply, I'll immediately get the shame cube and hide away because I was completely stupid and it was something so little, so seemingly insignificant that I feel absolutely stupid. I know it's possible, I've seen a ship on Reddit that had like... 10 Vulcans on it. :P

Can anyone help me?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 pm

EpsilonEthereal wrote: I went back to superluminal, opened up the old file, set it to save as a resource folder instead of an FTL file, edited the XML aaaand nothing. No, really, nothing. I edited the file from power = "8" to power = "9" or whatever. I changed the one number, rezipped it, renamed, SMM, the whole process. When I loaded it up in the game, it was still the same Crystal A, instead of my completely overpowered pure crystal ship.

Can anyone help me?

Well I don't know if that directly caused the problem or it's something else but when altering weapons power, it's not just a matter of inserting a "9" there and calling it a ship. You've got to find the blueprints for weapons (under blueprints.xml... you did unpack the game files, right?) and copy it into your blueprints.xml and modify the stats there so it has 9 Weapons power.

To save you some time and unpacking though, here's the code you'll need to insert into blueprints.xml of your mod (I also recommend 12 power so one could power 3 Vulcans if they wanted :D)

Code: Select all

<systemBlueprint name="weapons">
   <type>weapons</type>
   <title>Weapon Control</title>
   <desc>Powers all of the ship's weapons. Upgrading lets you power more weapons.</desc>
   <startPower>4</startPower>
   <rarity>1</rarity>
   <maxPower>12</maxPower>
   <upgradeCost>
      <level>40</level>
      <!-- level 2 -->
      <!-- CHANGED was 60-->
      <level>25</level>
      <!-- level 3 -->
      <level>35</level>
      <!-- level 4 -->
      <level>50</level>
      <!-- level 5 -->
      <level>75</level>
      <!-- level 6 -->
      <level>90</level>
      <!-- level 7 -->
      <level>100</level>
      <!-- level 8 -->
      <level>120</level>
      <!-- Imaginary level 9 -->
      <level>150</level>
      <!-- Imaginary level 10 -->
      <level>180</level>
      <!-- Imaginary level 11 -->
      <level>210</level>
      <!-- Imaginary level 12 -->
   </upgradeCost>
   <cost>20</cost>
</systemBlueprint>

It might not solve the problem of why it's still the Crystal A, but the Weapons Code will be right.
EpsilonEthereal

Postby EpsilonEthereal » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:06 pm

stylesrj wrote:Well I don't know if that directly caused the problem or it's something else but when altering weapons power, it's not just a matter of inserting a "9" there and calling it a ship. You've got to find the blueprints for weapons (under blueprints.xml... you did unpack the game files, right?) and copy it into your blueprints.xml and modify the stats there so it has 9 Weapons power.

To save you some time and unpacking though, here's the code you'll need to insert into blueprints.xml of your mod (I also recommend 12 power so one could power 3 Vulcans if they wanted :D)

It might not solve the problem of why it's still the Crystal A, but the Weapons Code will be right.

I would try it now, but I have to go and do stuff :/ Thanks for the help!
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:08 pm

Hey don't go into the cube yet. I might have made it worse :D
EpsilonEthereal

Postby EpsilonEthereal » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:31 am

stylesrj wrote:Hey don't go into the cube yet. I might have made it worse :D

Okay, so I have the code. I stuck it into blueprints.xml, opened up the game and checked the game to see if I could upgrade to 12 weapon power...and nothing. So I copied a backup of data.dat and replaced the revision of data.dat with your code. I then tried to put it into my own blueprints.xml.append for my own mod (aptly named PureCrystalShip.ftl) and...nothing. Again.

Any tips?

(And I swear to god if I just have to make my own blueprints.xml.append with that one bit of code I'll be SO mad [just thought of that before I have to go to bed...which is right now])