Anyone need a writer?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Whoopty

Anyone need a writer?

Postby Whoopty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:04 pm

I've played through FTL a couple of times now and thoroughly enjoyed it. Like many I've bumped into a few oft repeating encounters which I've begun skipping past as I know the flavour text. I figure it would be fun to write a few new encounters for the game as others have done, but I'm not a coder and don't have any modding ambitions of my own - I'd just like to help out if anyone needs it.

So is there anyone making a serious mod here that could use some encounters written? Can provide resume if necessary but I've been a freelance writer for six years with plenty of creative writing under my belt.
Kieve

Re: Anyone need a writer?

Postby Kieve » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:45 am

More events are always welcome. The catch is, writing them is quite possibly the trickiest thing you can work on, since a single bad entry in the event code can cause the entire game to crash on loading. I'd strongly suggest reading through Event Structure so you have a fair idea of the syntax for writing them. That said, I can think of a few projects to point you towards.
  • Additonal Events & Text
    -Technically complete in its current form, but the source for the event code is posted on github. Contributing to it, or at least using it as a staging ground for some work of your own, may be a good way to familiarize yourself with event writing and FTL's particular way of doing things.
  • Sonata TC
    -A Total Conversion mod by thashepard, based on Endless Space lore. TC's are pretty demanding, and so far he's been handling everything more or less by himself. If you're a fan of Endless Space, or just interested enough to lend a hand, drop a message in the thread and see if there's anything you could help with.
  • Foundation of the Federation
    -A work-in-progress overhaul from the early days of FTL modding. As Whale Cancer's OP states, it was intended to be an event-focused mod, but it seems IRL intervened. Maybe an extra set of hands could help get the project rolling again?
  • FTL:Incursion
    -I hesitate to point this one out, since I'm not yet at the stage where I'm ready to start writing events, but I'm always eager to brainstorm at the very least. The overall gist is, the Feds won the Flagship battle but lost the war, and what happens in Incursion is twenty years after that fact. Since you're still under 10 posts and can't PM yet, drop me an email at krsmodworks-at-yahoo.com if you're interested.

Hope that helps you find some direction!
Whoopty

Postby Whoopty » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:30 am

Thanks for the pointers dude. I'll have a read through these and see what I can do :)
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:22 pm

I don't have the time myself to write new events, but I would be able to translate them to xml and include them in my mod. If you want to simply write the text, I would be interested.
Whoopty

Postby Whoopty » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:18 pm

Got your PM DrkTemplar but can't reply yet. That would be great as I'll be honest, while I think I could figure out the proper event coding, I did baulk a little at my first glance how to do it.

Can you PM me over an email or similar contact details and I'll brainstorm a couple of ideas and fire them over, see what you think :).