[Mod Help] Adding events to the game start

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Kieve

Re: [Mod Help] Adding events to the game start

Postby Kieve » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:16 am

HaakonXCI wrote:One last thing. I noticed that there was an xml.append file after unzipping the sample mod. Was this made with a separate tool or again by just renaming and having GMM do the work?

Thanks.

Just renaming. GMM recognizes that a file with .append as its extension is 'tacked on' to the end of whatever file precedes it. blueprints.xml.append gets added to blueprints.xml, and so forth.
thashepherd

Re: [Mod Help] Adding events to the game start

Postby thashepherd » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:36 am

Typing from my phone - I might as well share a few methodology tips.

You can open and edit a .XML.append file the same as you south a .XML file; in Notepad++ (a popular text editor) you can set language to XML and get the same syntax highlighting. The file extension tells GMM's Python script to add it to the end of the game's .XML file of the same name. If you name the same file .XML it will replace the existing file instead.

If you want to develop or even just test something, you should do a few things. The first is to copy the game files you want to modify into a folder in /mods, or anywhere - call it /MoGas or something. This way you separate the files you've changed from GMM's backups. You can get the original game files from resources/resources_unpacked.

When you deploy, you select the contents of /Mods/MoGas and zip them - you'll have a file called MoGas.zip. Rename that file MoGas.cflint and move it to /Mods.

If you make more than a relatively small mod, I would recommend using cloud-based source control like Github or Google Code.!
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"