The Paralax Wormhole Mod [Help always needed]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Beerinabox

The Paralax Wormhole Mod [Help always needed]

Postby Beerinabox » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:38 am

This is my very first post on the forums, I am hoping for a lot of feedback on the ideas here- good or bad- get at me.

The war between the Federation and the Rebels has been raging, we all know this, and with the appearance of the Lanius, pulsars and who knows what else between you and your destination, it would seem that the journey to the Federation base couldn't get any more treacherous? Right? Think again! In the last few years of this war, strange wormholes have begun popping up for no logical reason. Named after the zoltan scientist who first discovered them, Ignir Paralax, these wormholes have brought with them a heap of new troubles and treasures from some otherwise inaccessible edge of space- and even worse- things that seem to have been hiding within known space itself has started stirring with the wormhole arrivals. If you still think you want to brave the sectors for the sake of the federation, suit up and power up the engines.

With that out of the way let's get down to what the Paralax Wormhole mod would add, a total of six new races- their ships and at least one new weapon. I have the capability of creating a good amount of art resources for the races, but this is still a large project and I am excited to see who wants to get in on this!

The creation of the mod will come up in three PLANNED versions, as followed:

Version 0.5: The planning, gathering and creation of resources.
Version 1.0 : The inclusion of the races into the game, they can be hired into your own crew, and will appear on enemy ships.
Version 1.5: Special events involving the various new species will be added to the mod
Version 2.0: This is a big one, and one we'd need other artists contribution for- the inclusion of enemy ships belonging to the six new species as encounters into the game!
Version 2.5: The capability to pilot at least three of these ships on your journey through the FTL story.
Version 3.0: The inclusion of the other three ships for piloting, and the inclusion of the weapon. The MAN CANNON.

For the first 0.5 and 1.0- this mod needs persons who know how to actually make the flesh of the mod, the coding and alike! I am pretty damn useless at that stuff, I just know how to make pretty things.

With that out of the way, lets talk about the new SPECIES I would like for this mod. Three who are brand new to the universe, and another three who have strange ties to it already.

Beneath you will find the details of each of the new species. I would love to hear, questions, comments, concerns. To be honest, I am not certain how much of this implementation is possible, but I still wanted to try and get it all started.

------

Species Name: The Lyxaris [Lih-ss-ah-ress]
A new species of humanoid, horned aliens to come through the worm holes. Impeccably intelligent for organic aliens, incredible diplomats and doctors; lovers of aesthetic it seems. One of the most advanced organic races encountered, but also the most carefully gaurding with their secrets- though it has been noted they have an unsettling desire for colonization. Their first contact with the federation was civil and professional, they have seemed willing to aid the Federation- though their motives for doing so remain to be seen.
Health: 100
+Heals others in the same room as them when not in combat with an enemy

Species Name: That Maston [M-ah-stawn]
A new species of behemoth, tusked aliens to come through the worm holes. Beasts of burden, they didn't initially come through on their own ships but instead came as body gaurds of the Lyxaris captains who first made the jump through Paralax space. Stupendously thick skinned and hard to defeat in combat, though something of a biological oddity. Their DNA seems impossible to replicate in a cloning machine, and their rather beastly nature makes it impossible to medically treat them- though incredibly loyal to their masters, they will continue their duties until death. Although, they seem to be rather territorial in nature, and two mastons on the same crew will often begin fighting eachother if they spot one-another.
Health: 500
+Cannot be healed, or cloned once dead
+Will fight other Mastons in the same room, enemy or ally

Species Name: The Ymph [Yim-ff]
A new species of humanoid, wood skinned aliens to come through the worm holes. The most curious of the new aliens, in more than one way. This species seems the most inclined to be curious of the rituals and knowledge of others, peace loving and knowledge seeking creatures they are often found keeping a wide distance from other ships, using their amazingly advanced sensors to study the crew and technology. Their skin is made of thick fibrous cells, tougher than human skin and they seemed to have evolved from some sort of plant life. They produce their own oxygen though are obviously extremely vulnerable to fire. They seem to have picked up other languages quickly, often not needing translators; their ships are not made of metal but some other substance unknown to the sectors.
Health: 125
+Produces oxygen (at the same rate a Lanius would drain it)
+x 3.0 damage from fire

--------

Image (The sprite in game would appear 50% transparency)
Species Name: The Envi [Eh-N-vee]
A new species of malevolent, mysterious alien to have started appearing with the arrival of the worm holes. The Envi are by far the most perplexing and dangerous of the new species to arrive alongside the wormholes, their origin is unknown save for the fact that they are a species of the known galaxy- though their startling resemblance to the Engi is evidence enough for some of their origin. They appear translucent and solely alongside other Envi- attempts to contract them with any other species has ended badly; if there is any way to work alongside them... it is likely to remain a mystery. Like themselves, their ships have powerful cloaking fields, in fact only a direct hit from an ion blast seems to damage them. An extremely aggressive species, they take any chance to fight others no matter the risk to themselves.
+ Immune to physical damage, being hit with ion renders them vulnerable (Can suffocate and burn)
+ x2 repair speed
+ x2 damage

Species Name: The Spiders
A not-so-new species of alien to have started appearing with the arrival of the worm holes. Previously thought to be no more intelligent than any other insect, recent findings have shown their assaults on stations to be a lot less feral and far more planned. It seems the only reason none of the other species had seen them as more than mindless was because the Spiders wanted it that way. They have recently shown their space faring capabilities with sudden raids on Federation and rebel ships alike; their motives are unknown. Seeming to have followed a similar evolutionary path as the feared Mantis, the species only known as Spiders seems to be heavily combat based- what little we know of them that is. They also seem to function on a hive mind by necessity; when one spider is separate from their brood, they seem to undergo immense psychic based trauma. Though most unsettling... their ships seem to be fashioned out of the corpses of their fallen kin alongside metal. Well... at least now we know how they travel from station to station, now. All ships engaging a Spider vessel is to do so with caution.
+ x 1.5 damage
+ x 2.0 movement speed
+ Loses health when not in a ship with another Spider

Species Name: The "Ghosts"
A new species of energy based alien to appear alongside the wormholes. In fact, these beings are only as recent as the wormholes themselves. Believed to be the result of a failed cloning bay mixed with the strange energies of the Paralax wormholes, the Ghosts can take the form of any alien species within the known sectors- though largely thought to be incorporeal, with the growing number of ghost ships traveling through space aimlessly, it has been discovered that they are in fact a solid being. The "ghost" is in fact an energy being irreversibly possessing another body, with the capability of possessing any enemy killed- ghost ships are a growing epidemic- some would note they are more like a sentient virus than an actual species of alien.
+ Converts any enemy crewmen killed by a ghost into an ally (They join the crew)
+ Immune to suffocation
+ Cannot repair damage to systems or hull
Last edited by Beerinabox on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sleeper Service

Re: The Paralax Wormhole Mod [Help always needed]

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:49 am

Some pretty unique ideas you got there. Although I don't really see what would stop the player from getting infinite ghosts or kill every living thing aboard the enemy ship with a single Envi. Unfortunately FTLs races are pretty much hard-coded, so you won't be able to add crew with completely new capabilities. At last not with the current possibilities of modding FTL. Sorry for the buzzkill. :(
Last edited by Sleeper Service on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beerinabox

Postby Beerinabox » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:54 am

Sleeper Service wrote:Some pretty unique ideas you got there. Unfortunately FTLs races are pretty much hard-coded, so you won't be able to add crew with completely new capabilities. At last not with the current possibilities of modding FTL. Sorry for the buzzkill. :(

There are two possible solutions here: give up, or get more creative with how to implement....

my buzz is not killed yet, and i am a stubborn b*stard
Beerinabox

Postby Beerinabox » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:08 am

Sleeper Service wrote:Some pretty unique ideas you got there. Although I don't really see what would stop the player from getting infinite ghosts or kill every living thing aboard the enemy ship with a single Envi. Unfortunately FTLs races are pretty much hard-coded, so you won't be able to add crew with completely new capabilities. At last not with the current possibilities of modding FTL. Sorry for the buzzkill. :(

OH also, I forgot to address the concerns you had!

Although I don't really see what would stop the player from getting infinite ghosts: The crew member limit on any given ship would stop the player from getting 'infinite ghosts'- in the case of the crew being full and a new ghost being created, one of two scenarios would occur.

a) the player would have to pick who to get rid of in the crew in order to make room for the new ghost
b) the enemy killed by a ghost while the crew docket is full would simply stop existing as per the usual- maybe as small animation where the enemy revives as a ghost then dissipates.

in any case its a pretty simple fix. Alternately, the ghosts could have lower health than 100 to make the loss and gain of members a normal part of a ghost crew monotony.

Secondly, as for the Envi issue, they would be mainly an antagonistic species, save for a single incredibly rare series of quests which would end up in the player receiving an Envi. At that point it would be easy to power house through enemy ships with that single Envi BUT being able to do so would be your reward for being able to get a member of the incredibly malicious species to work with you. A big ol' prize if you would.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:32 am

A possible fix or workaround is to add your new races in as crew drones...it's not that good of a fix, given that you can't add in any new drone crew, so you're stuck with sysrepair, ion, antipersonnel, and boarding. But it does allow for custom sprites.
Beerinabox

Postby Beerinabox » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:20 am

Maybe someone can entertain an idea for me. Assuming it was possible to add this kind of in depth editing in a mod, what WOULD someone have to do in order to add new species to the docket?
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:27 am

You'd have to manually rip open FTLGame.exe and add the new race in yourself, likely using some programming language far more exotic than XML, and having to understand the decompiled code very very well.

Suffice it to say, if you develop a tool that can successfully decompile .EXE files, you earn mad hacker cred, and a spot on every CIA cybercrime watchlist. And even then, the rules of the forum would probably prohibit the distribution of your mod.
Beerinabox

Postby Beerinabox » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:32 am

NarnKar wrote:You'd have to manually rip open FTLGame.exe and add the new race in yourself, likely using some programming language far more exotic than XML, and having to understand the decompiled code very very well.

Suffice it to say, if you develop a tool that can successfully decompile .EXE files, you earn mad hacker cred, and a spot on every CIA cybercrime watchlist. And even then, the rules of the forum would probably prohibit the distribution of your mod.

Understood, it seems if I ever want something this comprehensive in the terms of modding to be done I'd need to... well i guess go contact the actual developers and shove all these pixels in their face and scream THE SPIDERS WEREN'T DEADLY ENOUGH like some kind of spider worshipping cultist... I don't entirely know what I expected from that tangent but that option doesn't seem amazingly sensible, nor so to yield a positive result. Hrmmmmmmmm...
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:02 am

NarnKar wrote:You'd have to manually rip open FTLGame.exe and add the new race in yourself, likely using some programming language far more exotic than XML, and having to understand the decompiled code very very well.

Alternatively (but no less hax), a runtime mod 'injector' or script engine of some kind might also provide the advanced functionality needed to overcome or work around FTL's hardcoding. There was even discussion about such things, back in the dawn of time - not sure what happened to it exactly, other than being dropped in favor of the "Overdrive" option: rebuild FTL from the ground up to make it more mod-friendly.

Bottom line is mostly the same though. FTL has some pretty solid brick walls regarding what is moddable and what is not, new races / abilities / augments (that serve a function outside event coding) are all off the table.
You can re-sprite the existing races, but their abilities remain the same.
Beerinabox

Postby Beerinabox » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:52 pm

Kieve wrote:

Alternatively (but no less hax), a runtime mod 'injector' or script engine of some kind might also provide the advanced functionality needed to overcome or work around FTL's hardcoding. There was even discussion about such things, back in the dawn of time - not sure what happened to it exactly, other than being dropped in favor of the "Overdrive" option: rebuild FTL from the ground up to make it more mod-friendly.

Bottom line is mostly the same though. FTL has some pretty solid brick walls regarding what is moddable and what is not, new races / abilities / augments (that serve a function outside event coding) are all off the table.
You can re-sprite the existing races, but their abilities remain the same.

Do we have any such news on if Operation Overdrive is even in progress? If not, i'd be more than happy to try and spear head an injector project- albeit again I am a lowly artist/musician and have no such mastery to even know where to start. I'm definitely not a code monkey, more like a code garden snake.

The thing about FTL is that it's a sci-fi game and if I know anything about sci-fi games from my years of being a huge nerd is that sci-fi 95% of the time benefits greatly from an expanded lore/universe, that's the main reason why I'm so driven to try and get some more moddibility into this beast. Cause it's an incredibly fun and thorough game, but hey, who doesn't love outsourcing, amirite?