Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
19acomst

Re: [MOD] Better Planets and Backgrounds 1.3.1

Postby 19acomst » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:10 am

bump
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:20 pm

19acomst wrote:I understand that, but if you unzip the .7zip file, does it lead to resource folders or a .ftl file?

The .7zip contains the proper .ftl file. So yes, you have to extract the .7zip, not rename it.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
19acomst

Postby 19acomst » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:42 pm

kartoFlane wrote:
19acomst wrote:I understand that, but if you unzip the .7zip file, does it lead to resource folders or a .ftl file?

The .7zip contains the proper .ftl file. So yes, you have to extract the .7zip, not rename it.

Thanks. then can someone just upload the .ftl file to media fire? it takes about 20 seconds.
Estel

Postby Estel » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:04 pm

Better planets and background takes 138 MB, better asteroids more than 1 MB. It amounts for 140 MB. For it's upload to take 20 seconds, one would need to have 56 Mb/s UPLOAD connection. Even so, mediafire would need to accept such upload speeds from a free account, which, of course, it doesn't. So, think more about half and hour, than 20 seconds.

Anyway, the task of uploading file for consumption belongs to mod maintainer, and he was asked repeatedly by various people - including myself - for allowing to download from other sources than ModDB. All those requests were not denied per se - even worse, they were totally ignored (including my case, where ModDB wasn't willing to let me download file at all, due to too SLOW download rate - 56kbps at the time, when I made that request). Unless sanmoku does the upload to other sources himself - or explicitly ask to do so in his stead - it would be unkind to bypass him.

Not to mention, that you got various solutions to your problem already - again, including quite detailed answer by myself, on the last page. You're just too lazy to use any of them - wanting others to waste 30 minutes of uploading, as opposed to 5 minutes of applying tips from posts on your side. Do the math yourself - and, given the above- for your question, what's about "no"?

/Estel
19acomst

Postby 19acomst » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:29 am

Estel wrote:Better planets and background takes 138 MB, better asteroids more than 1 MB. It amounts for 140 MB. For it's upload to take 20 seconds, one would need to have 56 Mb/s UPLOAD connection. Even so, mediafire would need to accept such upload speeds from a free account, which, of course, it doesn't. So, think more about half and hour, than 20 seconds.

Anyway, the task of uploading file for consumption belongs to mod maintainer, and he was asked repeatedly by various people - including myself - for allowing to download from other sources than ModDB. All those requests were not denied per se - even worse, they were totally ignored (including my case, where ModDB wasn't willing to let me download file at all, due to too SLOW download rate - 56kbps at the time, when I made that request). Unless sanmoku does the upload to other sources himself - or explicitly ask to do so in his stead - it would be unkind to bypass him.

Not to mention, that you got various solutions to your problem already - again, including quite detailed answer by myself, on the last page. You're just too lazy to use any of them - wanting others to waste 30 minutes of uploading, as opposed to 5 minutes of applying tips from posts on your side. Do the math yourself - and, given the above- for your question, what's about "no"?

/Estel

Thank you for your quite courteous response. it was very nice of you to reply in such a manner. I'm sorry for not understanding how media fire works, you're right about that part, sorry. but why should i care about going over the creator's head when he chooses to make some people who want his mod unable to use it?

Youre solutions are as follows. 1. use another pc. I cant do this because i have one pc, so i saw no need to respond. not lazy, just being practical. and 2. pay money for a program that allows me to hack into an admin account. why would i pay money when any person could use pretty much any file hosting service to upload it? not mediafire but any of the things that come up when you google "free file hosting". again, not lazy, but practical. this is a community where the purpose is to discuss ftl, help others play it, and make it better. i am simply asking anyone to help out us people who don't want to download a third party program to get a mod. And If you really want to be a part of this community, be less of a dick about things.

Regards~ Adam
Estel

Postby Estel » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:21 am

19acomst wrote:going over the creator's head when he chooses to make some people who want his mod unable to use it?

Don't ask me, it's beyond my understanding, too. I guess - just guess - that's when majority of people are able to acquire it without problems, he doesn't care about rest. It's the same thing about maintaining compatibility with older browsers OR slower internet connection, when doing such trivial thing as browsing web sites, including those of banks, public services, etc. While, for various reasons, I was sitting on old era-like connection speed. I was forced to use versions aimed at old mobile phones, to be able to use basic services Thanks god that there are still limited data plans, otherwise, bloating would hit those, too. Just because some idiot decided, that doing money transfer from account a to account b require page so sugar-coated, that it weights 5MB of fresh data per refresh, + flash advertisement of other's bank offers, in between.

19acomst wrote:Youre solutions are as follows. 1. use another pc. I cant do this because i have one pc, so i saw no need to respond.

Not true. I suggested you to use another PC just - and only just - to unpack this file, then, transfer it to PC of your choice by any mean you seem suitable. Unless you're in one of those war-torn countries around here, or any other society with deep problems (North Korea, some countries in central Africa, few examples on Oceania and around South America, Iran...), I don't think you're unable to spend 5 minutes of your life doing so, instead of asking people to do everything for you then give it to you fast-food like, in "happy meal" fashion. If you're indeed, from one of those countries, feel free to PM me and I'll gladly do the upload for you. Albeit I doubt it, as, in such case, you would, probably, have better things to worry about ATM, than playing FTL, with or without BPAB :(

19acomst wrote:2. pay money for a program that allows me to hack into an admin account.

Not true - kon-boot in older version, suitable for what you want to do, is freeware. If you don't like educating yourself about using such tools, stop wanting to do things that this PC isn't mentioned to do, by it's owner/sysadmin. Especially, stop wanting others to bypass such problems for you :roll:

19acomst wrote:again, not lazy, but practical.

Wanting everyone else to do everything for you may be seen as practical, by some. I would call it arrogant. And stupid, as you've, probably, wasted more time to respond and "bump" here, than you would need to use to do the fckn job yourself.

19acomst wrote: And If you really want to be a part of this community, be less of a dick about things.

Well said. Well said...

/Estel
FortunaDraken

Postby FortunaDraken » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:22 am

@19acomst

Do you have WinZip or WinRar on your computer? They should be able to unzip the file, you don't necessarily need 7zip to unpack the file. I use WinRar and got it just fine.

@Estel

They have a point. The points you mentioned are valid, but...

You're just too lazy to use any of them - wanting others to waste 30 minutes of uploading, as opposed to 5 minutes of applying tips from posts on your side. Do the math yourself - and, given the above- for your question, what's about "no"?

Was completely unnecessary. If they had no idea how long it would take to upload something, then they probably weren't lazy, just unknowing, which the start of your post fixed. There was no need for the name-calling at all. It makes you seem a very unkind person who looks down on others who have issues that are relatively simple for most people but large issues for others.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:58 pm

I think I'm the only one whose noticed this so far, but there is a slight error in the sun animation with the awesome looking star used in Better Planets. I think it is a problem that arose with AE.

If you looking closely during solar flare events, in the background you will notice a red glow. This image is circular and supposed to line up with the sun to make it fluctuate, but it is slightly off up to the upper left because the sun in Better Planets and Backgrounds has different dimensions than the one in vanilla FTl. ;)

I tried fixing this myself, but because the dimensions of the vanilla sun and the glow do not match it's hard to figure out how big the glow should be... :?
Estel

Postby Estel » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Good catch. Haven't noticed it and - probably - never would ;) But indeed, it's present there. Maybe this talented guy from "Replacement for various things" thread would be able to come up with something? I don't think sanmoku will contribute more to FTL in foreseeable future.

/Estel
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:07 pm

Estel wrote:Good catch. Haven't noticed it and - probably - never would ;) But indeed, it's present there. Maybe this talented guy from "Replacement for various things" thread would be able to come up with something? I don't think sanmoku will contribute more to FTL in foreseeable future.

/Estel

:roll: Yeah, I was reluctant to even say anything since I'm apparently the only one whose noticed so far... Sorry about that. :oops: But since I noticed it I then had to fix it, so I tried to do so in my Shiny! UI and Graphical mod. I just reduced the size of the canvas in the sun image to 870x870 so it's more close to vanilla and it turned out good enough. It's really not that big of a deal. I link that animation though, I never really noticed the pulsing before, it seems to be much more apparent with BPAB then vanilla because of the brighter sun.