[MOD] Starcraft Conversion v0.5: 18 new ships!

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
alextfish

Re: [MOD] Starcraft Conversion v0.5: 18 new ships!

Postby alextfish » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:40 pm

BrenTenkage wrote:*is looking at the ships*

Perhaps my next lets plays should be on these...

Want me to lets play em so you can get an idea of some tech issues, balancing and what not (should point out I never played Star Craft, I know of it, and the meme zerg rush but thats it) Contact me if you want me to do anything specific and yes if I do the lets play I will credit you
Hee! Fun idea. I'd love to hear what anyone thinks of these ships. A Let's Play sounds like a fun way of saying what you think, so go for it.

I'd recommend you've tried playing a little bit with the built-in Stealth ship before trying out the Terran or Zerg ships. Shieldless play takes a bit of getting used to, but they can do just fine when well piloted.

I'm amused by the prospect of someone who's never played Starcraft doing a whole LP on one of these ships, but hey, it should be amusing if nothing else. Looking forward to it.

I might recommend some of the more fun ships to try out for an LP would be:
Medivac, Overlord, Warp Prism - the three weaponless troop transporters are obviously boarding-focused (similar to Crystal B)
Brood Lord, Queen - the Zerg bombers with boarding drones
Raven, Carrier - the drone-o-rama ships are quite fun
Void Ray, Battlecruiser - starting with a Glaive Beam or Burst Laser 5 is awesome but not as easy as you might think
Science Vessel - a funky collection of effects
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:11 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHLOsAKGeyw

Well here...not as good as I thought but you still might get some laughs out of it
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
CrazyDave

Postby CrazyDave » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:35 am

Hello!

I just downloaded this mod and did a playthrough with the Carrier on Normal. ...I gotta say, it feels VERY overpowered. I hardly took any hits (aside from the occasional missile), and having a pair of attack drones from the outset ensured easy kills. I never wanted for scrap, and I made it all the way to the Flagship without ever actually finding a weapon.

Just my thoughts. I'll get back to you once I've played more. Great mod idea, though! :D
Top scores:
1. Rock A - 4385, Easy
2. Kestral B - 4203, Normal
3. Crystal A - 4115, Easy
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:05 pm

BrenTenkage wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHLOsAKGeyw

Well here...not as good as I thought but you still might get some laughs out of it
Awesome! Thanks for playing! Yep, Zerg ships are indeed living things. The flavour is slightly odd of having other Zerg units running around inside them, but what can you do?

Glad to see you tried a Zerg ship. The Zerg playstyle is indeed quite about weathering the early hits. The Overlord does always seem to attract early extra zergling crew, which does lead to funny attacks with 4 or 5 at a time. As you say, Zerg Rush!

You mentioned that the Medi-Bot Dispersal would be useful; as it happens, that is on one of the other transport ships, the Medivac :)

I can't take credit for how awesome the ships look - thank Blizzard for that - but I do agree with you ;)

Adding the music from Starcraft is a great idea. I always neglect audio aspects of games I create. And the UI ideas are worth bearing in mind too. Thanks!
Last edited by alextfish on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:30 pm

CrazyDave wrote:Hello!

I just downloaded this mod and did a playthrough with the Carrier on Normal. ...I gotta say, it feels VERY overpowered. I hardly took any hits (aside from the occasional missile), and having a pair of attack drones from the outset ensured easy kills. I never wanted for scrap, and I made it all the way to the Flagship without ever actually finding a weapon.

Just my thoughts. I'll get back to you once I've played more. Great mod idea, though! :D
Wow, interesting. I've often found the Carrier a bit tricky due to the way you can't target down the vital enemy systems. Glad you enjoyed it though :)

You ought to try a Terran or Zerg ship. Those lean very much the other direction: they have no shields at all, so combat always keeps you on your toes and the edge of your seat. (At the same time. Let's not ask how that works.)
Ginger Dragon

Postby Ginger Dragon » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:23 am

I'm not really sure if there's anything you can do about it, but the pathing on the crew around the center of the Battlecruiser is REALLY weird.

Here's some live footage of my crewmembers going through walls. =P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7k11dhS ... e=youtu.be
Check out my youtube channel. I do FTL mod playthroughs, as well as all kinds of other assorted games.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GingerDragon87?feature=mhee
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:06 pm

Hmm. Odd. That's probably related to how I had originally tried the trick of having the Battlecruiser in two disjoint parts but with doors that the layout file thinks connect disjoint rooms. It didn't work very well, so I added those long thin rooms, but looks like there are some traces of oddity in the Battlecruiser layout. Thanks for the bug report - I'll look into it.
xenitro

Postby xenitro » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:42 am

As said before. For the battle cruiser. you cant click to go into the top bridge, but you can walk thru it. and if you walking thru it and cancel. you ll be stuck inside.

Science vessel bio beam seems to have some trouble hitting the person inside mantis pilot area. as well as some other ship pilot areas ?

Some like the Overload may need balancing. Its sometimes about luck to not straight away run into an Auto. in which death is imminent. If i teleport in zerglings. they die from no oxygen. I cant FTL away fast enough. the Changelings cant penetrate shield.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks for playing!
xenitro wrote:As said before. For the battle cruiser. you cant click to go into the top bridge, but you can walk thru it. and if you walking thru it and cancel. you ll be stuck inside.
Wow. Yes, reproduced. Very sorry about that - I'll get that fixed ASAP. Thanks for the bug report!

xenitro wrote:Science vessel bio beam seems to have some trouble hitting the person inside mantis pilot area. as well as some other ship pilot areas ?
That'll be an issue with the Bio Beam as in basic FTL - I haven't changed it in any way. You do have to be a little careful where you direct the bio beam, more than any other beam, but it's been pretty effective in my experience.

xenitro wrote:Some like the Overload may need balancing. Its sometimes about luck to not straight away run into an Auto. in which death is imminent. If i teleport in zerglings. they die from no oxygen. I cant FTL away fast enough. the Changelings cant penetrate shield.
Hmm. Well. All the Zerg ships do have some luck element, especially with the first couple of encounters. This is part of playing a roguelike game, although I'll admit the Zerg ships do suffer from it more than the vanilla ships.

But it is perfectly doable to defeat crewless, airless auto ships with the Overlord. More so than with either of the other troop transporters (the Medivac or the Warp Prism), actually. You need to upgrade your teleporter to level 2 ASAP, but once you've done that it's possible to use zerglings to take out the shield, and then let the Changeling finish it off. (Perhaps taking out the weapons first.) The pause button (Space) is your friend.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:33 pm

alextfish wrote:Thanks for playing!
xenitro wrote:As said before. For the battle cruiser. you cant click to go into the top bridge, but you can walk thru it. and if you walking thru it and cancel. you ll be stuck inside.
Wow. Yes, reproduced. Very sorry about that - I'll get that fixed ASAP. Thanks for the bug report!
This should be fixed now. I've also fixed the Battlecruiser's Yamato mount point, and given the Banshee more missiles. Anyone who's planning on playing with the Battlecruiser or the Banshee should redownload the ships mod, from the same place as before: http://www.toothycat.net/~hologram/FTL/SC2Ships.ftl

I do have plans to tweak something about the Phoenix (because it seems to die a bit too easily at the moment), and potentially several others. And also add the Starcraft music, make a new title screen, fix the miniships for highscore tables, fix cloak images, and so on; but those aren't up yet.

If anyone finds any ships that seem too strong or too weak, please let me know!
Last edited by alextfish on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.