[MOD] diversityMod [V0.3]

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Whale Cancer

Re: [MOD] diversityMod [V0.1]

Postby Whale Cancer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Mr. Mister wrote:A major thing to have in mind: playing with the power requirements of weapons is dangerous, since some ships won't be able to use them all at the beggining. The Osprey can't even use its only weapon, Burst II, because it now requires 3 power, while the Osprey only has 2 power bars on weapons initially.

I have to agree with Mr. Mister on this one.

It would be nice if your mod split the art replacements and balance modifications into two parts, for those of us who want to use your art but not necessarily your re-balancing (which, obviously, some of us don't agree with).
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
liakad

Postby liakad » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:32 pm

Yeah, the 3-shot dual laser was some kind of an accident. I will revert the changes to the power usage of Burst Laser II and weaken the ion-missiles.
EdenNov

Re: [MOD] diversityMod [V0.3]

Postby EdenNov » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:18 pm

Now that the heavy laser pierces shield, rock cruiser type B's heavy pierce laser isn't very special.
nimitz98

Postby nimitz98 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:49 pm

I must agree with EdenNov on that one. Maybe change the Pierce Laser to pierce 2 shields?
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:37 pm

Idea: if you gave 1 ion damage to the piercing laser, and fired it against a level-2 shielded ship, what would happen? Would it just collide with the shield and inflict one ion damage to said system; would it pierce through the first layer, inflicting one ion damage to shields, and collide with the second one, inflicting another ion damage to it and taking one layer down (impact); or would something even more bizarre happen? Test it.

UPDATE: There're still some problems with ships unable to power all their starting weapons at the beggining, mostly due to the dual laser now using 2 power bars. Here's my (personal) view on how to adress it, without having its role and the Burst I's overlap:

-Both fire two shots for 1 damage each, no shield piercing.
-Dual Laser uses 1 power bar, charge time is 11-13.
-Burst I uses 2 power, charge time is 8.

This way, the Burst I will have the advantage of a noticeable quickier recharge time (also giving it an advantage over Burst II, with the same power usage but an extra projectile), at the expense of an extra power bar usage.

Funnily enough, and given that the Basic laser takes 8 seconds to recharge, it would make more sense if the Dual Laser and the Burst I echanged their names (and pics): A Dual Laser would be just two Basic Lasers compressed into a single weapon slot, thus reloading equally as fast but and requiring double the power, while the Burst I would be a single laser cannon with better internal energy capacity, thus allowing it to make two projectiles out of it once fully charged.
Interested in doing that? Should be as simple as echaning their names and pics.

Oh yeah, and the Vortex can't power the heavy ion II and the heavy laser 1 at the same time. I don't know what to do about that though, will bring my thoughts on it in the future.
dbgager

Postby dbgager » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:28 am

The Graphics would be a nice download. But messing with power requirements for weapons, and dmg.. which is balanced great in the first place will keep me from downloading it. You are making weapons to powerful, and unbalancing the game. As mentioned earlier in the thread you should split the mod into two files.
splette

Postby splette » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:52 am

Whale Cancer wrote:It would be nice if your mod split the art replacements and balance modifications into two parts, for those of us who want to use your art but not necessarily your re-balancing (which, obviously, some of us don't agree with).

I agree with this one. The graphics are really great and fit so well with the style of the game. But I would prefer if there is a version that only changes graphics but not any of the blancing of the weapons.
Baguker

Postby Baguker » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:36 pm

splette wrote:
Whale Cancer wrote:It would be nice if your mod split the art replacements and balance modifications into two parts, for those of us who want to use your art but not necessarily your re-balancing (which, obviously, some of us don't agree with).

I agree with this one. The graphics are really great and fit so well with the style of the game. But I would prefer if there is a version that only changes graphics but not any of the blancing of the weapons.

Totally agree with this gentlemen.

Also, if can dream a little, it would be nice if you will remake crystall weapons with your skills. It seems like they was made in haste or with neglect in some way (looks like not the weapons at all), and right now they're out the rest of the game in terms of style.
sorry for my english
stinglock

Postby stinglock » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:44 am

Just signed up to agree with the previous posters, it would be great to have mod provided without the 'balance' changes, I've had to remove it for now as it confused the hell out of me and seems to make the game easier.
vacantmind

Postby vacantmind » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:10 am

Would really like to see this combined with the highres backgrounds for an overall graphical update (perhaps even added to the original game?) please separate for those of us that just want the improved graphics?