[MOD] Extra Names Mod

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
tdoe

Re: [MOD] Extra Names Mod

Postby tdoe » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:50 am

Whale Cancer wrote:
tdoe wrote:How do I use this with GMM? I download the file, and it comes in a .zip form, and I know it needs to be in .ftl for to be compatable with GMM. How do I convert this into .ftl from a .zip?

The download links to an .ftl file, so there are some shenanigans going on with your browser. Try renaming to .ftl and seeing what happens.

How would I rename it to a .ftl?
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:53 am

tdoe wrote:
Whale Cancer wrote:
tdoe wrote:How do I use this with GMM? I download the file, and it comes in a .zip form, and I know it needs to be in .ftl for to be compatable with GMM. How do I convert this into .ftl from a .zip?

The download links to an .ftl file, so there are some shenanigans going on with your browser. Try renaming to .ftl and seeing what happens.

How would I rename it to a .ftl?

Right click on the file and then select rename.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
tdoe

Postby tdoe » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:14 am

Do I just add the .ftl to it? because there is not a .zip on the end currently
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:16 am

tdoe wrote:Do I just add the .ftl to it? because there is not a .zip on the end currently

I assume you are on Windows?

Go to folder options, go to the view tab, de-check "Hide file extensions for known file types"

Why do you even think it is a zip if it doesn't have a file extension?
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
tdoe

Postby tdoe » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:11 am

Sweet! it worked, thanks a bunch!
henryheyhey123

Postby henryheyhey123 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Have you fixed it being a .zip? I've made a post about how to change your folders into .ftl
IcarusTyler

Postby IcarusTyler » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:22 pm

Yes, I've read that.

But is it actually necessary? The mod-file/download is already a .FTL-file. What would be the benefit? Does the "somewhat more complicated" process epossibly prevent that minor browser-confusion that auto-turned the file into a .zip which was mentioned here before? Just wondering.

-Matthew
Frankenstein

Postby Frankenstein » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:44 am

Zaffre wrote:So
Many
Charliessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Hopefully this mod will fix that.

i happened to have THREE Charlies on my ship at once. i eventually found out it was a name hard-coded into a particular set of events, so i went into the scripting and changed them.

for those who want to actually change it, you'll have to do some packing and unpacking of the .dat files. thankfully, i've found that ftldat and CaptainShooby's batch files work wonders in unpacking and repacking the .dat files. you'll only need the data.dat file unpacked, and once you get to that go into the "data" folder and find "events.xml". open it in your favorite code editor (i use Notepad++). around line 610, you'll come across the script used in the "Stranded" Distress Beacon range, where you go to the surface and find a man of "questionable health". everywhere you see "Charlie" you can replace with another name or let the game choose one.
IcarusTyler

Postby IcarusTyler » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:48 am

On to-do-list for next version: Remove Charlie

Charles stays :P
alexnobody

Postby alexnobody » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:11 pm

Cool mod! I opened it up as an XML file, and it looks like you can just add and remove names from the list. That's pretty awesome! Can't wait to start adding names from my favorite games and movies. But it also looks like this is only going to affect humans? Is there some way to add names to the aliens too?

For that matter, is it possible to make it so you can change names of crew that show up later? "Oh hey, Charlie is it? Yeah, we've already got a Charlie, so now you're Dave. Live with it." Sure, it's not realistic, but who cares? I'll feel more attached to my crew if I can name them Spock, Kirk and McCoy than, like, Thomas, Ethan and Geoffrey or something. Or Charlie, Charlie, Charlie, Kazaaak, and Charlie. : P