[MOD] High-res background graphics [V1.0]

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
VanguardOfValor

Re: [MOD] High-res background graphics [V1.0]

Postby VanguardOfValor » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:46 am

splette wrote:@VanguardOfValor
Yes sure, go ahead. Would be nice if you could link this thread in the YouTube description for anyone who is interested to try out this mod.

Awesome, thanks! I've been putting the link to this thread in the videos so far, and will continue to do so. Thanks for the great mod.
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:34 am

Yeah, this is lovely, quite possibly my favourite mod.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
splette

Postby splette » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:17 pm

Thanks for the great feedback. I really appreciate it.
cousin

Postby cousin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:27 am

This was the first mod I installed for my game. I absolutely love it.

I'm honestly surprised the game doesn't already look like this.

This is an essential mod in my opinion. Sometimes, just that small bit of extra aesthetic improvement that can really enhance a game. Well done sir.

Thank you so much for making this.

I hope to see more backgrounds added in the future! And don't listen to anybody telling you anything is "too much", your work all looks great as it is. Don't change a thing, just add more!

Love,
Cousin Fox
XionGaTaosenai

Postby XionGaTaosenai » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:11 pm

I'm liking the idea behind this mod, but there's one thing I have to ask: what happened to the planets with lights on them?

In the vanilla game, you frequently find civilized planets in the background, which you can identify because their dark side is covered in an array of lights, as if there were a whole bunch of cities on the surface turning on lights as it got dark. Make fun of the vanilla graphics all you want, but I found those lit-up planets gorgeous, even with the low resolution, and I'd love to see higher-resolution versions of those planets in the game if at all possible.

Is there any reason why you don't have those planets in this mod?
Frankenstein

Postby Frankenstein » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:33 am

i will agree that the nebula background looked a bit overpixelated, but i tend to like the vanilla background because it plays into the game's overall simplified theme.

nonetheless, i commend your work. keep it up
cousin

Postby cousin » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:00 pm

For whatever reason, either because of the new beta patch or because of GMM's recent update (1.5), the textbox for renaming your ship when in the hangar is misplaced and small.

If the previous text was maybe font size 48, this looks more like 12.

Hope this is fixable. Not that big of a deal really, but I thought you should know.

I love this mod. Thanks so much for making this.
splette

Postby splette » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:53 am

Thanks for letting me know. I will check it out.

*some time later*

Okay, I could reproduce the problem but it's not related to my mod.
It's related to the recent official FTL update. It replaces the data.dat and resource.dat files.
Now when you apply any mod, Grognaks Mod manager is not aware that these two files are new and will instead use the .bak files it had saved earlier. But these are from the previous FTL version and this is where things get mixed up.

Long story short:
After updating FTL, delete:
data.dat-unpacked
resource.dat-unpacked
data.dat.bak
resource.dat.bak

Only then use the Mod manager to apply any mods you like. (The mod manager will create new .bak of the up-to-date FTL version). Hope this helps. Actually, this may be the wrong thread. I guess others might run into the same problem.
Weltall Zero

Postby Weltall Zero » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:05 pm

Amazing mod, it makes FTL so beautiful.
I've actually merged this mod with Better Planets and Backgrounds 1.2, for personal use, lending an amazing variety of background and planet combinations. I was wondering if you would mind if I uploaded it somewhere, giving you both credit and linking both mods, of course. If you'd rather not, don't hesistate to say no; I won't do it unless both of you are perfectly confortable with it.
badsjames

Postby badsjames » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Thanks for making a pretty cool mod. I love it!