[Ship] The Fake Slug

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
fdagpigj

[Ship] The Fake Slug

Postby fdagpigj » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:10 pm

Why this exists
A few months ago I was thinking about how to abuse the fact that you get temporary vision in the room where a bomb hits. Obviously for it to even matter, a ship must not have sensors or slug crew, but I still felt it was appropriate to make the mechanic into a slug ship. But since mind control isn't a viable method of defeating ships, I decided to also give it a custom weapon which I got inspiration for from SentryJumper's Mercenary Manhunter ship - but it behaves like I expected that to behave when I first saw the image before I read his entire post. That is, a normal burst laser which on top of (not instead of) its normal damage does a little bit of additional personnel damage. For the bomb, I was struggling with what to make it, I was thinking maybe just 1 or 2 ion damage would be all it needed if I make it not cost missiles (which might be necessary since you'd probably go through 2-3 per fight), but then when I asked Anistuffs he said I should make it lockdown. I was torn by the many options, but after playing with it a bit I think it's quite balanced (no missile, lockdown, 2 ion). This way it's usually capable of crewkills - but only if you're very careful.

But yeah, I guess the theme is a human crew having stolen a slug ship... sure, we'll go with that.

Download
v1.0:
Dropbox
(If you need a mirror, do let me know)

Other useful info
  • Replaces Slug A
  • 9 starting power
  • No artillery
  • Two custom weapons. The bomb is a lockdown bomb (even uses the same art) that doesn't require missiles and does 2 ion damage, the laser (detailed in image) has 40% fire chance.
  • I don't have a good idea for what my next ship will be yet... but I think I'll make a weapon pack at some point. I've already started, but don't have nearly enough yet - how many weapons do you think is appropriate to call it a pack?
  • Just in case you still don't get what you're supposed to do, mind control in the moment the bomb landing animation plays.

Showcase videos
stylesrj: Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3
Anistuffs: Part 1 - Part 2
Biohazard063: Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3
Last edited by fdagpigj on Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
stylesrj

Re: [Ship] The Fake Slug

Postby stylesrj » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:20 am

Awesome ship. I made a video run of it. The weapons work very well together and the game decided to favour me by providing weapons I could actually use to supplement everything.
In FTL however that just means your defeat is so much more likely at the hands of RNG BS. But I had no complaints about the ship itself. So that's good.

Part 1
SentryJumper

Postby SentryJumper » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:12 pm

Nice! Doesn't look like it plays like anything I've seen before, which is always cool.
If the bomb is to take advantage of the view effect, does it have a lowered cooldown? Because otherwise it seems like it could be difficult to use to see anything.
Image ImageImage
fdagpigj

Postby fdagpigj » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:00 am

SentryJumper wrote:Nice! Doesn't look like it plays like anything I've seen before, which is always cool.
If the bomb is to take advantage of the view effect, does it have a lowered cooldown? Because otherwise it seems like it could be difficult to use to see anything.

Thanks. No, the cooldown is the same 15 seconds as you find on the vanilla lockdown bomb (which btw would appear to be just barely too long to not have the lockdown constant unless you have a fully trained weapons crew) - but you don't really need to be able to always see enemy crew as you should know which systems they'll prefer manning, and if they move you can see doors opening (and if you're unsure I think you could try probing with the chemical laser to try to get someone to move in if they weren't already in the room). All you really need the bomb's vision for is to activate mind control.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:31 am

Might as well add these to the OP since it is a 3-part run.

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHy-6c78f3Q

Part 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGB6ZGArmBM
fdagpigj

Postby fdagpigj » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:39 am

stylesrj wrote:Might as well add these to the OP since it is a 3-part run.

I've always just linked to the first part of each series. Youtube tends to automatically put the next parts in the recommendations panel and in the right order anyway. It would seem to figure out the right order even despite you being evil and not including the part number in the video title. Do you think people would actually click on the links for the later parts even if I were to put them in the OP?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:28 pm

I've seen Gootube suggest a completely different video rather than part 2 or 3 of a series. Even though it might be clearly labelled as "Part 2" and "Part 3"
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:52 am

I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269