[Ship] Sukhoi T-50

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Whited

[Ship] Sukhoi T-50

Postby Whited » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Hi, French player here,

this is the first ship I created to initiate me to the world of modding and he took me ages to get it done.

Sukhoi T-50

The Sukhoi T-50 is a russian multitask jet-fighter designed to takedown alien spaceships. (Replace Kestrel-A)

Highlights:
¤ Two Dual Shot Lasers
¤ Engine Level 3

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zoebj01msrgpl ... D.ftl?dl=0

V1: Release
V2: Balence & bug fix
V3: Interior rework

Thanks to Stylesrj for the feedback ;)
Last edited by Whited on Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 15 times in total.
stylesrj

Re: [Ship] Sukhoi T-50

Postby stylesrj » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:35 pm

Welcome to the world of modding! Now here I am to tell you what needs to be done about your ship to make it more "balanced" since it seems to be a recurring thing for first-time modders to make overpowered vessels. Overpowered vessels are fun but without progression or challenge throughout, they become rather boring to use and usually don't get played again or for very long in some cases.

First of all, it starts with two awesome guns which provide 6 shots of firepower. Dangerous.
Then there's the fact that it starts with a maxed out Weapons system. You know how much Scrap is saved in that alone?

My advice?

Turn those Burst Lasers into Dual Lasers or Burst Laser I's (the ones that fire two shots for 2 power).
Put Weapons Power to 4 (or 2 if using Dual Lasers.)
Remove those augments. The Long Range Scanners are for ships that need them like a shieldless ship. And the Defense Scrambler doesn't really fit in with the "theme" of the ship. Yes I know fighter planes have an ECM suite or whatever but doesn't mean it needs a Defense Scrambler.
Also, fix those console glows. They are sitting on the floor inside the room instead of on the console.
Whited

Postby Whited » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:37 pm

Thanks for your advices.

Much appreciated.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:50 pm

Oh and piloting should be at Level 1... and Sensors because why do you need to see what's on the enemy ship when the ship seems to be designed for firepower?
Are one of the empty rooms a teleporter and if so, is it a 2x2 room? Because that's dangerous as well. 2x2 teleporters are very powerful weapons and are usually dedicated towards boarding vessels rather than a multi-purpose fighter which your ship is themed for.

Also, did you make sure to set a Clone Bay in the same room as the Medbay so people don't accidentally waste 50 Scrap for a system that might not exist?
And where does one put the other systems? I see the standard 3 subsystems and 5 systems of most ships (Engines, Weapons, Shields, Life Support, Medical), but there are 10 systems in total (Cloak, Drones, Mind Control, Teleporter, Hacking) and only 3 blank spots on the ship where they could fit.
What systems are missing from the ship? And if there are none but they stack, then keep in mind that stacking systems is a dangerous affair and you can't repair everything in the stack without a Repair Bomb or if it starts as an AI ship.

Lastly, there's only two airlocks. I*m not saying there needs to be one for each room but you might want to consider spacing a few throughout the ship because airlock placement is important for getting rid of intruders and having just the two is bad.
Whited

Postby Whited » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:55 pm

Again noice feedback for you, but do i need to place all systems in order to not make people wasting scrap?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:58 pm

It's recommended you have all the systems available and add spots for them.
People should know that a system will eat their money if they mouse-over it and there's no description of the levels to the side. But most don't. They go "Oooh! I need that system!" and then suddenly they just spent their Scrap.

You can make the systems unbuyable or not show up in stores but that requires more modding and you're just making a ship, not a game overhaul, right?
So you could turn those 2x3 rooms into smaller ones perhaps?
Whited

Postby Whited » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:40 pm

I'm having some problem with yellow & black textures, can't find where they are coming from.

meklozz

Postby meklozz » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:04 am

Looks like you changed the glows (different filenames?) and now the game can't find the files.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:11 am

You didn't have to make the Medbay 1x2. Just the Teleporter. A 3-person Medbay is standard on most ships and should be used as it works effectively.
Then again, it is a fighter plane and the Stealth Cruiser looks like one of sorts so it might make sense or fit the theme.

Also, it doesn't seem like a person in Engines can reach the rest of the ship. Remember to playtest the ship after making a new version. Try a battle or two out or get through the first sector and see how long it takes. That sort of thing. Test out how quickly you can move crew in and out of rooms and how fast it is to drain certain rooms of their air. If you think it takes too long to drain a distant room, add a nearby airlock. You shouldn't have to drain half the ship to get to a corner or suffocate the pilot.
Whited

Postby Whited » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:55 am

Solved the yellow & black problem, there was a conflict within the save, had to delete IMG folder ans resave it.
Last edited by Whited on Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.