[SHIP] Justice

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
KoritsuDFM

[SHIP] Justice

Postby KoritsuDFM » Sun May 08, 2016 9:30 am

This is my first mod! Sorry if its suck! :D Pls help me make its better!
http://imgur.com/DekcDKn
Im looking forward to make some custom weapons for the ship,i would love if someone can help me with its :D I made this for youtuber Vanguard of Valor,hope he plays it :D I also watch stylesrj,i hope he test this too :D
Vanguard of Valor: https://www.youtube.com/user/VanguardOfValor
stylesrj: https://www.youtube.com/user/stylesrj
Hope u have fun playing this!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/sva77 ... nguard.ftl
P/S:Sorry if my grammar sucks :D
stylesrj

Re: [SHIP] Justice

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 08, 2016 11:13 am

Glad you enjoy my videos. Although I wonder, does Vanguard still play FTL and make videos of it?

I like the picture. The Basilisk meets the Federation Cruiser.
Although you may need to remove some excess glows. The ship has glowing bits at the bottom that looked like they were part of a box or something. So you could trim those out easily enough.

When designing a ship, I tend to use the Magic Wand a little bit above the edges of the ship and remove those "glows" to avoid further issues. Sometimes I remember to put them back in or just leave it free of glowing bits. The Miniship also needs to be reduced in size to match the other Miniships. The game doesn't do it automatically.

Alright, so my artistic critique out of the way, let's look at the ship itself in terms of "balance."

Now when it comes to making a ship, I compare it to the Shrike. I always do that because I love that ship. It's the apex of FTL ships. Any ship that crosses that line is what I call "overpowered."
But it doesn't end there. There's also a line I call the "Big Bang Cruiser" line. Well actually it's a peak. You can't really go over that.

Loading up the Vanguard/Justice in FTL and looking at the weapons, systems and augments available immediately throws the ship past the Shrike Line.

So immediately here's a few ways to fix things to make it close or below the Shrike Line and why:

Augments:
Zoltan Shield - Has to go. It doesn't really meet the "aesthetic" you're going with on the ship and it's additional protection that makes the ship unkillable considering what it's packing in Sector 1.
Slug Repair Gel - Also has to go. Like the shield, it doesn't meet the aesthetics and in Vanilla FTL it's extra Scrap at the next store. In CE, it means you can break truces and double loot enemy ships with your big guns.

Systems:
Shields - Take it down to 1 layer. The Basilisk can get away with it considering it's a boarding cruiser. This one is not. So one layer please. Although if you want, you can take it down to 1 bar so it costs 100 to upgrade and then you can put the Zoltan Shield on. Like the Zoltan B does.
Artillery - Either needs to be custom or taken out entirely. The game doesn't like Artillery that uses missiles.
Drone Control - What's that doing here, not serving any purpose but to take up a system slot?
Cloaking - I love Cloaking but I feel it has to be earned. Unless the ship has crippling problems at the start (like the Stealth ships or the Crystal B) then I recommend you take this off
Engines - There's no station assigned to the crew here. Intentional to reduce evasion or an oversight?
Also, you may want to realign stations with the consoles as it looks funny to see the pilot typing away on a wall far from the console or the Engi typing at the side of the Weapons console.

Firepower:
Glaive Beam - The Stealth B starts with a Glaive Beam and no protection for a reason. The Glaive is too powerful to be put in the hands of a well-defended ship. I can see myself going through all the sectors without having to spend much Scrap because of this.
Mini Beam & Ion Charger - A really good combo and I think you should keep that. Charge the ions, hope one of them hits, then make like the Beam Master and show them your superior beam weaponry! Ah-hah! Now that thing is fun and really tense to work with in early sectors! No really, I can't help but say how something so weak can be exciting to work with, along with complaints of "What am I paying you for?" to the person operating Weapons.

Crew:
Not much to change here. It's crew. You have Humies and an Engi.
Considering the theme of the ship, I'd replace a Human with a Mantis but your preference.

Overall, the ship has great potential but so far it's fallen into the pitfall every first modder tends to do - My First Overpowered Vessel.

By the way, here's how to make the Artillery Bomb work properly and what I think is balanced.

Code: Select all

<weaponBlueprint name="ARTILLERY_ION">
   <type>BOMB</type>
   <tip>tip_bombs</tip>
   <title>Ion Bomb</title>
   <short>I. Bomb</short>
   <locked>1</locked>
   <desc>Self-teleporting explosive that uses ion damage to disable systemsp.</desc>
   <tooltip>Bomb weapon; does no damage but deals 4 ion damage.</tooltip>
   <damage>0</damage>
   <ion>4</ion>
   <shots>3</shots>
   <sp>0</sp>
   <fireChance>0</fireChance>
   <breachChance>0</breachChance>
   <stunChance>2</stunChance>
   <cooldown>40</cooldown>
   <!--was 21-->
   <power>1</power>
   <cost>55</cost>
   <!--was 65-->
   <bp>4</bp>
   <rarity>0</rarity>
   <image>bomb_ion</image>
   <explosion>explosion_big1_ion</explosion>
   <launchSounds>
      <sound>bombTeleport</sound>
   </launchSounds>
   <hitShipSounds>
      <sound>ionHit1</sound>
      <sound>ionHit2</sound>
      <sound>ionHit3</sound>
   </hitShipSounds>
   <weaponArt>bomb_ion</weaponArt>
   <iconImage>bomb</iconImage>
</weaponBlueprint>

40 second cooldown (20 seconds at level 4) drops 3 bombs on the enemy ship and doesn't use missiles.
Be sure to throw that above your ship's blueprint in the blueprints.xml.append and change the ship's Bomb_Ion artillery to it.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 08, 2016 11:23 am

I did a quick run using this following code for the ship itself (if this helps but don't rely on me to fix everything. I have a whole bunch of ships I haven't fixed).

Code: Select all

<shipBlueprint name="PLAYER_SHIP_HARD" layout="vanguard" img="vanguard">
   <class>The Sword</class>
   <name>Justice</name>
   <desc>Needs a good description here that makes the ship sound as epic as the picture!</desc>
   <systemList>
      <artillery power="1" room="7" start="true" weapon="ARTILLERY_ION" img="room_artillery" />
      <cloaking power="1" room="13" start="false" img="room_cloaking_6" />
      <clonebay power="1" room="19" start="false">
         <slot>
            <number>1</number>
         </slot>
      </clonebay>
      <doors power="1" room="11" start="true" img="room_doors">
         <slot>
            <direction>up</direction>
            <number>0</number>
         </slot>
      </doors>
      <drones power="2" room="16" start="false" img="room_drones" />
      <engines power="1" room="15" start="true" img="room_engines_3">
         <slot>
            <direction>down</direction>
            <number>2</number>
         </slot>
      </engines>
      <hacking power="1" room="17" start="false" img="room_hacking" />
      <medbay power="1" room="14" start="true" img="room_medbay_2">
         <slot>
            <number>1</number>
         </slot>
      </medbay>
      <mind power="1" room="18" start="false" img="room_mind_5" />
      <oxygen power="1" room="8" start="true" img="room_oxygen_3" />
      <pilot power="1" room="0" start="true" img="room_pilot_2">
         <slot>
            <number>0</number>
         </slot>
      </pilot>
      <sensors power="1" room="12" start="true" img="room_sensors">
         <slot>
            <number>1</number>
         </slot>
      </sensors>
      <shields power="2" room="2" start="true" img="room_shields">
         <slot>
            <direction>left</direction>
            <number>0</number>
         </slot>
      </shields>
      <weapons power="3" room="1" start="true" img="room_weapons_5">
         <slot>
            <number>1</number>
         </slot>
      </weapons>
   </systemList>
   <weaponSlots>3</weaponSlots>
   <droneSlots>3</droneSlots>
   <weaponList missiles="10" count="3">
      <weapon name="ION_CHARGEGUN" />
      <weapon name="BEAM_1" />
   </weaponList>
   <droneList drones="5" count="3" />
   <health amount="30" />
   <maxPower amount="7" />
   <crewCount amount="1" class="human" />
   <crewCount amount="1" class="human" />
   <crewCount amount="1" class="engi" />
</shipBlueprint>

Then I got boarded and realised there were no airlocks!
You want the ship to be like that as well, like the Shivian or was that an oversight?
KoritsuDFM

Postby KoritsuDFM » Sun May 08, 2016 12:39 pm

Thank u for helping me XD I will fix its as soon as possible :D The fact that u replied to me made my day XD And yeah, i forgot about the airlocks XD Clumsy me XD Its kinda sad that i have to let the Glaive Beam goes.My idea about the ship :I made this ship for VoV,his mascot is a knight so i will made a ship with a shape of a sword.The ship will have a Boardsword=Glaive Beam,a Hammer=Ion to stun the enemies shield,a Dagger =Mini Beam for when u need to attack fast.The Cloak is the knight "Super Stealth" mode XD The Zolton Shield is his Shield and the Repair Gel is the knight Healing Factor and the Artillery is like the Holy Light that protect him,aoe stun the enemy ship :D
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 08, 2016 7:18 pm

KoritsuDFM wrote:Thank u for helping me XD I will fix its as soon as possible :D The fact that u replied to me made my day XD And yeah, i forgot about the airlocks XD Clumsy me XD Its kinda sad that i have to let the Glaive Beam goes.My idea about the ship :I made this ship for VoV,his mascot is a knight so i will made a ship with a shape of a sword.The ship will have a Boardsword=Glaive Beam,a Hammer=Ion to stun the enemies shield,a Dagger =Mini Beam for when u need to attack fast.The Cloak is the knight "Super Stealth" mode XD The Zolton Shield is his Shield and the Repair Gel is the knight Healing Factor and the Artillery is like the Holy Light that protect him,aoe stun the enemy ship :D

Ah now I see what the theme is.
But still, not every ship should start as a fully-trained knight. The Federation can't afford to give out good equipment to everyone and they need all they can get at the Last Stand. That's why the ships rolling out of the hangar are basic.

Besides, a Knight can do well with a claw hammer and a dagger.