[SHIP][AE] Simo-V - NEW 2015/11/04

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
5thHorseman

[SHIP][AE] Simo-V - NEW 2015/11/04

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:57 pm

The Simo-V is my attempt at what I *thought* - the first time I saw the Vulcan - that the Stealth C ship would be. I was frankly a bit surprised when the Stealth C ship showed up and did NOT have a Vulcan. i think that surprised me more than that it didn't have a cloak.

Download of Simo-V here: http://pulpaudio.com/ftl/Simo-V.ftl
(if you have trouble downloading, try right clicking and selecting "save link as..." in the menu)

This ship replaces the Simo-H.

It's basically the DA-SR 12 with a few tiny modifications:
The Vulcan replaces the Glaive Beam. This is the big change. Every other change was ancillary to this.
An Engi Crewmember replaces one of the Humans. He also starts in Weapons, pushing the Zoltan back to the engine room, where I prefer to start him.
O2 level 2 because you'll be taking your O2 down a lot for power. After the battle you can fill back up quicker.
Engines Level 4 instead of 2, because you don't get to just cloak until your weapon is ready and then win. Dodging is actually quite important.
Starting power 9 instead of 7, for the above.
Titanium System Casing to sell for shields. I mean, give you a chance to avoid system damage.
Automated Reloader because every second really does count.

All in all, these changes make the ship about equal in difficulty to the DA-SR 12 to start. After you get shields, it may be a bit easier though by no means is it a cakewalk. It's still pretty hard in hard mode, and you can still die in a single encounter in Easy Mode. As it should be with stealth ships :)

To do:
Nothing? I'm happy to hear suggestions!
Last edited by 5thHorseman on Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
stylesrj

Re: [SHIP][AE] Simo-V - NEW 2015/11/04

Postby stylesrj » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:02 pm

Titanium System Casing to sell for shields. I mean, give you a chance to avoid system damage.

You read my mind.
Get out of my head, Slug :P

Sounds like an interesting ship to fly, although I think I have bad luck flying stealth ships :lol:
But hey at least it's not the Simo-Horrible.

As a suggestion, how about Stealth Weapons instead of System Casing?
Or would it that make it too overpowered as you dakka away without consequences as the gun spins up?
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:22 pm

stylesrj wrote:As a suggestion, how about Stealth Weapons instead of System Casing?
Or would it that make it too overpowered as you dakka away without consequences as the gun spins up?

Yeah Stealth Weapons was way too OP. The ship already has a lot of endgame stuff on it. I tried it, and nothing I could do could nerf it enough. I also tried the Preigniter with even worse results (though it doesn't help the Vulcan a ton, it does help EVERYTHING ELSE EVAR). I settled on the Automated Reloader as a marginal help that got you through the beginning of the game, was good all the way to the end, but didn't make the ship an insta-win.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:26 pm

The automated reloader also prevents your weapons from being jammed in Captain's Edition, so the fun never stops if an enemy happens to carry such a despicable thing on the first jump instead of a Shield Virus or Radiation Projector as they usually do.

I find Stealth Weapons to be rather a detriment when facing the Flagship though. You want the cloak to recharge by the time the next Power Surge comes along.

Also, no ship should ever start with a Pre-igniter unless they are supposed to be overpowered :P
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:28 pm

Looks extremely hard. Did you consider getting rid of Free Scrap and doing something like more engines, or a trained evasion crewmember instead?

@
Oh, more engines. It's pretty capable then.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:11 pm

meklozz wrote:Looks extremely hard. Did you consider getting rid of Free Scrap and doing something like more engines, or a trained evasion crewmember instead?

@
Oh, more engines. It's pretty capable then.

Thanks for saying that. I forgot that I'd upped the engines. Actually, I forgot the original ship only had Engines 2. I'll update the OP, and also compare the ships again to make sure that's the only difference.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB