[MOD] [AE] C&C Weapons Pack

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Chrono Vortex

[MOD] [AE] C&C Weapons Pack

Postby Chrono Vortex » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:55 pm

I've accumulated quite a few custom weapons with all the C&C mods I've made, so it seemed like a good idea to put them all in a stand alone mod. Especially since weapon mods are so sparse. This doesn't just have the weapons I've bothered to stick on my ship's though, there's over 20 individual weapons which are all as wacky as C&C ever was. Each major faction from Westwood's C&C games has at least 4 weapons, so when you factor in psychic, chemical, and radioactive weapons there's a lot more emphasis on crew killing than there usually is in a weapon mod.
There's quite a variety of beams, lasers, missiles, etc. and at least one charge weapon and a bomb, as well as several area targeting weapons, so there's plenty of diversity as well. There're also a bunch of "hybrid" weapons which do both ion and normal damage.

Download v4.5 here.

Download the Ship Extension here.
Adds 2 Allied weapons to the Kestrel A.

Suggestions for balancing issues are welcome if any issues come up. This mod should work with Captain's Edition, though the sheer volume of custom weapons in that mod may drown out the ones in this one. Steamtex's advice on animation techniques warrants him some credit in that department.
Last edited by Chrono Vortex on Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:55 pm, edited 34 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
NarnKar

Re: [MOD] [AE] C&C Weapons Pack

Postby NarnKar » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:22 pm

They've all got lovely art. Some of them are pretty exotic, of course, but some of them (the more spliced ones) look like they'd be right at home in the FTL universe. That's something that I kind of have trouble with sometimes; the urge to make BFGs and massive cannons is really strong, and I end up making this monstrosity that really only belongs on one ship.
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:06 am

Thanks! I'd stick to just using bits from multiple existing weapons, but some of the stuff from C&C demands something a little more unique.
Chrono Vortex

The Apocalypse Has Begun

Postby Chrono Vortex » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:29 am

Version 2.0 is finally out! After a significant amount of hours spent sitting around and tinkering with the balancing, firing points, mount points and of course the animations (both the creation of and the conversion of shp files into) of five new weapons I finally got them to just-about-perfection. I apologize for the long wait, this really should have come out sooner. I do plan to keep updating (though I'll probably still be slow with the releases), so any suggestions for new weapons are welcome. For those who've made suggestions already that I haven't done yet have no fear, I haven't forgotten them.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:39 am

Ooh, that's a nice banner graphic.
steamtex

Postby steamtex » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:48 am

Yes, I'm liking the look of this...
stylesrj

Battle Fortress on the alert!

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:04 am

All these C&C weapons and so little ships to put them on...

What if one was to be made? A versatile weapons platform that depending on what your starting options are will determine the firepower you pack?

I'm talking about the Battle Fortress from RA2.

Imagine this: it starts with a basic laser and an augment called "Battle Fortress"

From there you have a blue option to pick your loadout (Nod weapons, GDI, Soviet, Yuri or Allies) and BAM, instant arsenal.
Would save time trying to find them in stores.

If you need help with scripting on adding weapons... there's Captain's Edition (I always suggest that first before tooting my horn) for ideas on how they do social options or you could look up my Christmas Mod (There's options for loadouts there and doesn't require too much digging).

OK, I just want to see the Battle Fortress and all it's Scottish glory. Cheyaaaarge!
Chrono Vortex

Shields? What's that?

Postby Chrono Vortex » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:56 pm

Version 3.0 is complete, bumping the total weapon count up to twenty! This update is centered around shield piercing weapons, as it adds three which ignore shields altogether and one which pierces two. Most of the weapons don't do any actual damage though, the weapons which pierce shields either cause ion damage or crew damage. The ratio of weapons with high power requirements to weapons with low power requirements was tipped in the favor of the former in the last update, so most of the new ones only need one or two power.

stylesrj wrote:All these C&C weapons and so little ships to put them on... What if one was to be made? A versatile weapons platform that depending on what your starting options are will determine the firepower you pack? I'm talking about the Battle Fortress from RA2.

I'm working on making some changes to my Allied ship that will allow you to pick which weapons from this mod you start with. I've run into some problems with that recently and the inquiry thread hasn't been any help, so it'll probably be a while. When I get said changes done I'll be releasing them as an optional part of this mod rather than updating the Allied ship.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:17 pm

As stated, I've recorded the showcase. Seeing how you asked for feedback, here it is.

I'll go over all the weapons in the list giving opinions as I see them on paper. As I didn't get all of them in the showcase...
Keep in mind that this is one mans opinion and therefore shouldn't be used as anything but a second opinion, you do with the mod whatever you want.

Also, and this goes for every weapon I found in the showcase, the art is great and the custom animations are also good work. So points for that already.
I'll put a (*) if I (think I) had it during the showcase.

Code: Select all

Prism Cannon (*)
Bit OP... Damage it does (2 hull, 2 system, 30 bio and 1 ion) is apt for its pricing, but I would increase power req. to 2.

Prism Cannon II
Probably fine... The thing that comes closest to this weapon would be Heavy laser II. Which has a lower cooldown though. Maybe up the CD of this weapon to 16 or 17 ?

Ion cannon
As far as I can recall, a beam weapon dealing ion damage will destroy a 4 bubble shield (I've even seen one destroy the flagships super shield, the 4 shield layers and still deal ion damage to a room). Granted, been awhile since I tested that so things might be different, but still. Look into that and make your own conclusion on whether you want to keep this in or not.
I know it takes 30 seconds and 4 power but still... might be a bit much.

Disrupter (*)
Potent... Wouldn't change it.

Railgun
Looks fine. Power req. seems a bit high, 3 might suffice.

Tesla Coil (*)
Looks fine, maybe up the CD a bit. Say 12. As it stands now it seems to be a more powerful heavy laser. The extra ion damage should ask for more than 1 extra second.

Magnetron EMFG
Pretty much the same as the Ion cannon. Needs testing to check potency against high end shields.

Psychic Amplifier
Dangerous... A single shot that can deal 75 damage to crew. I'd say no. Granted, you can only 1-shot a Zoltan, but I believe even that to be a bit much. Combining that with a 50% chance to start a fire and 25% chance for a breach... Maybe set it to 3 or 4 for crew damage.

Obelisk
Might be missing something, but this one looks like an underpowered version of the halberd. 2 seconds quicker firing but loosing over half the length. Maybe add 1 shield piercing? I believe that works.

Nod laser (*)
Works, maybe a longer cooldown would be in place. Comparing this with the dual laser, you get extra fire chance...

Chemical Missile (*)
The entire one shot crew kill again... Even if it costs a missile, not really a fan. Maybe set crew damage to 4 ?
Herding crew together isn't all that hard, combining it with a weapon like this would be OP.

V3 Missile (*)
Seems to be a weaker version of the Hermes.The weapon is fine though. Although seeing how you've shown some great skill in animation, you might want to upgrade this one a bit. As the missile appears out of nowhere.

Mirage Cannon
Looks fine.

Brainwave enhancer (*)
The entire crew thing again... Albeit with three shots, it might be fine if you set crew damage to 45. Three hits will kill everything but a rockman. Though you still need to land all of them.

Apocalypse Cannon (*)
Fine.

Chrono Cannon
Fine.

Banshee Torpedoes (*)
Fine, although you should compare this weapon to the Tesla laser.

Infector
Looks fine.

Firestorm Beam
I'd say 5 sp + 100% chance to start a fire might be a bit over the top. Maybe lower fire chance to 70 maybe 80.

Desolator Beam (*)
Fine.

Furthermore, and I don't know if you have this done in another of yours mods or not : It might be a good idea to mod a ship or even more to have some of these weapons. Just so people have the option to already start of with some of the new toys.

In the end, nice weapon pack. Though as you stated, needs some fine tuning for balance and what not. Hope you had something to this and I'll drop a line on my thread when the video is up. Looking at things it should be Wednesday next week.

Nice trip back to the old days as well... Had some good times with Red Alert 2 and C&C generals.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:56 pm

Wow, that was fast. This is all really helpful, and I've made most of the changes you've suggested but I think I should give you some detail on some of the mechanics I decided to give these weapons.

Biohazard063 wrote:As far as I can recall, a beam weapon dealing ion damage will destroy a 4 bubble shield (I've even seen one destroy the flagships super shield, the 4 shield layers and still deal ion damage to a room).

The Ion Cannon is pretty much the only weapon I've tested extensively and to me it seems good, although you are right about it dropping four shields. I'm pretty sure though that only if you're lucky once it get's past those shields it only hits one room. As for the Magnetron Beam, the time the beam is in contact with the shields is what determines how many shields it drops, so I bumped the speed way up and I think I got it to a point where it won't just rip all the shields and the hull to shreds without any effort.

Biohazard063 wrote:Seeing how you've shown some great skill in animation, you might want to upgrade this one a bit. As the missile appears out of nowhere.

The only reason I did that was because it's what happened with the V3 in the original game and I thought it would be funny to keep it that way, but I could change it to do something like what I did in that gif animation (materializing from nothing to green lines and from green lines to the actual missile).