[SHIP] [AE] [CE Ready] The Kodiak

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Chrono Vortex

Re: [SHIP] [AE] The Kodiak

Postby Chrono Vortex » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:53 pm

I just watched the video, I didn't realize the ion cannon was so over powered. I decreased the beam length and increased the charge time, hopefully that'll fix it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:36 pm

Actually, it looks like Pixlr does support .psd--when I selected "open image from computer" it said it supported jpg, jpeg, gif, png, bmp, psd, and pxd.

I ask about PSD in particular because that's an Adobe Photoshop project file, and the format of TaxiService's Ship Presentation Template. Basically, instead of typing out everything about your ship, you can mess around with that and give people a more visual overview of the ship's starting systems and equipment. Instead of

Starting systems and crew:
• Engines - 4
• O2 - 1
• Weapons – 4
• MedBay – 1
• Piloting – 1
• Sensors – 2
• Doors - 2
• Human – 4

You'll end up with an image kind of like this:
I kinda just borrowed from my mod since I knew my mod threads used them, so the image would be easier to find...it's not narcissism, I swear!

Maybe it's not for you, but I'd recommend at least messing around with it a bit to see if you like it or not. I messed around with mine and ended up making a customized version which also has a slot for reactor power.

Of course, your first image--showing the hull and detailing its custom weapons--is pretty elegant, actually. Most of the time I end up just typing up my custom weapons' effects and why I made them like that, and having a wall of text below the art of the ship. And those paragraphs always end up exceptionally long, so..maybe I should do what you're doing, instead.

It's just presentation commentary, honestly, and has nothing to do with the mod itself--which is really good, by the way. Nice custom hull art and custom weapons + sounds, and really good ideas. (and it's not another damn overpowered playable rebel flagship)
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:56 pm

Honestly, i like Chrono's presentation style a lot. It's so clean and concise!! I wanted to compliment him about it earlier but since I post in threads non-sequentially and my time is limited i'm doing it only now. :V

...so yeah i wanted to say that i really, REALLY like the way you present your ships, dude!!! Elegant is indeed a good definition for it. I think I like his style more than my own template! XD

Still, if you feel like it, feel free to take the systems group out from that psd! I predisposed the layers to be easily adapted for every need. (hopefully)
I thought i put the file under creative commons..? Anyway, everyone: don't hesitate to dismantle that file if you wish to. I didn't really create its contents, after all. :P :|
(maybe that's why i didn't put it under cc... who knows)

By the way, I too tried to open some psd's with pixlr. It couldn't open some of the more complex ones, probably because of some special layers or effects that were in them, but if the document only contains layers and groups it doesn't seem to have problems!
To make that psd compatible with GIMP i had to remove all of those photoshop-specific things, so i guess it should work just fine. ·‿·
Last edited by TaxiService on Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:17 pm

Chrono Vortex wrote:I just watched the video, I didn't realize the ion cannon was so over powered. I decreased the beam length and increased the charge time, hopefully that'll fix it.

You could make it like a Focus Beam in Captain's Edition. A quick-firing, 1 tile-length beam that does massive damage in that one (or two) spots. And give it the charge-time of the Glaive Beam. That way it'll not take forever to fire and it'll help you in a pinch but won't win the game for you.

Also, could you change the regular cloaking sound to the one from Tiberian Sun? Sure, that means every enemy ship will make you scramble for the Mobile Sensor Array (and then you realise you have none) or the Force Fire command but hey, why not spice things up? :lol:

"Cloaked unit detected!"
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:14 am

NarnKar wrote:Of course, your first image--showing the hull and detailing its custom weapons--is pretty elegant, actually.

TaxiService wrote:...so yeah i wanted to say that i really, REALLY like the way you present your ships, dude!!! Elegant is indeed a good definition for it. I think I like his style more than my own template! XD

Wow, really? Thanks, I hadn't even thought about it that much... I do need to find a way to include more detail about the ship though. I want to keep my presentation unique, so if I do pull something out of Taxi's template I'll probably end up changing whatever it was around a little.

stylesrj wrote:Also, could you change the regular cloaking sound to the one from Tiberian Sun?

I might add an additional version with some more TS sound like what I did for the Burier.
Chrono Vortex

The Kodiak v2.0

Postby Chrono Vortex » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:40 pm

The update is done! This version has a much cleaner version of the hull image, cloak and shield image as well as some revisions to the gib directions, speeds and angular velocities. But of course those aren't the main features of the update...

After following the development of Gencool's new Tardis in all it's event adding glory, I decided I wanted more than just the Kodiak in this mod. The starting event adds a little more story to the mod, and it also gives the player a chance to go up against GDI's finest in orbital strikes.
kestrelfan

Re: [SHIP] [AE] [CE Ready] The Kodiak

Postby kestrelfan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:27 pm

yep
Dont Call it a comeback, I've been here for years

I just surf the forums for new mods and nostalgia at this point, that's about it
Jimli_

Postby Jimli_ » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:14 pm

Looks like we got a necromancer on our hands, boys. BURN THE HERETIC.
ImageImageImage
rozekatir

Postby rozekatir » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:41 pm

NarnKar wrote:What image software do you use?? Can it support .psd files?

It's a pretty simple online editor called Pixlr. I highly doubt it can support that file extension.[/quote]

I tried using pixlr but it is not supporting .psd file giving error. That means this editor is not supporting psd file. You can try another one http://toolpic.comsame like pixlr which is supporting .psd or try photope
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:19 am

A minor update intended to address a major criticism of this ship:

Biohazard063 wrote:If a ship requires luck to begin with, that means 50% of the time you will not get that luck, which means 50% of your runs are already doomed to fail from the start. And that’s just silly, isn’t it?

Though this doesn't entirely eliminate the luck factor, it does make surviving the early game with poor luck more feasible. Enemy ships with combat drones were this ship's greatest enemy, due to the "no shields, no cloak" gimmick. This should hopefully remedy that problem to a degree which keeps this ship from being doomed to fail about 50% of the time.