[MODDING] Ship: Duality Cruiser & Merchant Cruiser

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Kieve

Re: [MODDING] Ship: Duality Cruiser

Postby Kieve » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:34 pm

marksteele wrote:you should add a custom room. Basically a teleporter but only between the front and back of the ship. That would make it interesting because if it gets destroyed THEN theres no link from front to back

Alternately you could just "link" room doors, the way MattsterT did with his Enterprise. Rooms physically separated but not completely cut off. It'd retain the look you want without shooting yourself in the foot for making half your ship inaccessible. It's an interesting concept but terrible in execution.
froz

Postby froz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:41 pm

I registered (almost) only to write this.

Guys, this is the point. The ship seems to be very powerfull (2 artemis and 2 basic lasers, furthermore you have 4 weapon slots and 3 drons slots, that's more then any ship I unlocked) and it has to have some weaknesses to balance that.

Actually I liked it even without the repairing bomb. The only real weakness is being shot into drone bay. You should always have all doors opened in the rear section, so no boarders nor fire there (maybe except boarding drone).

Since you start with 3 power in drone bay, even getting shot there wouldn't usually depower your drone - and you can upgrade it to be safe later. Note that you also have titanium system casing.

Repair bomb would be good if it needs like 3-4 power bars and has at least 15 seconds reload time and it only repairs 2 bars. Otherwise it's too powerfull.
Lurkily

Postby Lurkily » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:12 pm

I have to agree. The rear portion can be managed by drone - MUST be managed by drone. By keeping it open to space and keeping an anti-personell drone, you can mitigate boarders.

Yes, it still presents a serious problem that the player has to mitigate. I'm pretty sure that's the point.
AngleWyrm

Postby AngleWyrm » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:19 pm

What is the value of this ship? Why would you want to select this plan, and how would you use it?
Unlucky Scarecrow

Postby Unlucky Scarecrow » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:23 pm

I'm kind of curious what will happen if an anti-personnel drone on the left half tries to attack people on the right half. Could the game screw up due to pathing errors?
froz

Postby froz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:25 pm

I think the game is prepared for this (see boss ship which has separate rooms).
zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:39 pm

The idea is to have a different kind of challenge, which is also the idea of the new ship added just right now:

Replaces the Engi ship. Trade Goods trades for 200 credits... if you can reach a store.
Doom Lich

Re: [MODDING] Ship: Duality Cruiser & Merchant Cruiser

Postby Doom Lich » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:50 am

Haha well I just managed to beat the boss for the first time, and it was actually during a test run of this mod. For me the hard part wasn't the separate rear section of the ship. The thing that made it tough was the medbay designed for one crew member. I actually beat the boss because I got an amazing compliment of burst lasers, not because of the ship itself. (Though I did use the two starting lasers, but I could get those on the red-tail and then some.)

As stated early, the close quarters actually makes crew management tough if you get 7 or 8 crew members. (I sorta accidentally solved this problem by blowing up a ship my two Rockmen were boarding. I forgot I left my anti-ship drone on and planned to knock the ship down to 1. I yanked them out as it was blowing up, but it was too late.)

Overall, I thought the Duality was pretty fun to play with.
Dramon0412

Postby Dramon0412 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:48 am

Does this overwrite the 1st ship?
All4n

Postby All4n » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:19 pm

Would be cool if the teleporter worked on your own ship... :D
Got a event, alternative text, or maybe a new sector? Add it to the Additional Events & Texts (AET) mod! Credits will be given, and you will help make a big pack of content!