Extended Pursuit Indicator x2/x3/x5/x24

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Extended Pursuit Indicator x2/x3/x5/x24

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:55 pm

Download Extended Pursuit Indicator x2 v.1.3 FTL 1.6.2+ compatible
Adds an additional circle to the fleet pursuit indicator, which shows you where the fleet will be after two regular jumps. Install with Slipstream Mod Manager. Best loaded after any other mods you might be using.

Download Extended Pursuit Indicator x3 v.1.3 FTL 1.6.2+ compatible
Adds two discrete rings to the fleet pursuit indicator, showing you where the fleet will be after two and three regular jumps. Install with Slipstream Mod Manager. Best loaded after any other mods you might be using.

Download Extended Pursuit Indicator x5 v.1.3 FTL 1.6.2+ compatible
Adds five very subliminal rings to the fleet pursuit indicator, showing you where the fleet will be after up to six regular jumps. Install with Slipstream Mod Manager. Best loaded after any other mods you might be using.

Download Extended Pursuit Indicator x24 v.1.3 FTL 1.6.2+ compatible
Adds 25 very subliminal rings to the fleet pursuit indicator, showing you where the fleet will be after pretty much any amount of regular jumps (unless you are using mods that heavily delay the fleet.) Install with Slipstream Mod Manager. Best loaded after any other mods you might be using.

Download Extended Pursuit Indicator x24 with numbers v.1.3 FTL 1.6.2+ compatible
Adds 25 very subliminal rings to the fleet pursuit indicator, showing you where the fleet will be after pretty much any amount of regular jumps unless you are using mods that heavily delay the fleet. Also features numbering added by 5thHorseman. Install with Slipstream Mod Manager. Best loaded after any other mods you might be using.

What is this?
Some extremely simple mods that add more levels to the Rebel pursuit indicator on the sector map screen, allowing you to gauge easier how far the fleet will advance after a certain amount of jumps and if it will overtake a certain beacon. You don't have to rely on measuring tape or your thumb anymore.

I did a bit of testing and I think its pixel-accurate now (fun fact: the fleet advances by exactly 64 pixel per regular jump.) But let me know if you think the graphic is off somehow.

Known Issues:
The additional levels of the indicator won't adjust to nebula jumps. Could be fixed by adding 0.5 marks between the additional indicators, but these would always be shown, so it would be just as odd IMO. There would also have to be additional markers for nebula-sector nebula, creating even more visual clutter.

Enjoying you free game content? Want to show you appreciation and support my work?

Changelog:

Code: Select all

Extended Pursuit Indicator x2 v.1.0
- Initial release

Extended Pursuit Indicator x5 v.1.0
- Initial release

Extended Pursuit Indicator x24 v.1.0
- Initial release

Extended Pursuit Indicator x3 v.1.1
- Transparency increased to make the rings appear a little less distracting

Extended Pursuit Indicator x3 v.1.0
- Initial release

Extended Pursuit Indicator x24 With Numbers v.1.0
- Initial release

Extended Pursuit Indicator xX v.1.2
- Updated all variants to work with FTL 1.6.2+

Extended Pursuit Indicator xX v.1.3
- Added backwards compatibility for FTL 1.5.13
Last edited by Sleeper Service on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 8 times in total.
slowriderxcorps

Re: Extended Pursuit Indicator

Postby slowriderxcorps » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:10 pm

Ah, this still works despite the size of the original graphics being shrunk compared to pre-AE? That's pretty neat. The main problem I keep having when I use this though is trying to tell the difference between the guesstimation lines and the actual Rebel line, it messes with me a lot.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:16 pm

Perhaps the extended lines should just be made a little bit more transparent???
Maybe there could also be a version with only 1 extra jump shown?

Either way, this is a great idea and I can't believe I haven't thought of this before. :?
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:30 pm

Russian Rockman wrote:Perhaps the extended lines should just be made a little bit more transparent???
Maybe there could also be a version with only 1 extra jump shown?

Either way, this is a great idea and I can't believe I haven't thought of this before. :?

I've tried this in the past based on the pre-AE game where the graphics file had leeway off to the right of the image so that I knew it was safe to try it. What I'm personally thinking though is a guide that shows the progression of the fleet for just a single extra jump, but tuned for the three outcomes of empty space, nebula, and nebula-in-a-nebula-sector.
Estel

Postby Estel » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:51 am

Awesome. One of the mods that you just deny playing without, once you try it ;)

/Estel
Sleeper Service

Re: Extended Pursuit Indicator x2/x3/x5

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:18 pm

Well that was rather encouraging. :D I added some more variants and globally made the additional indicators more transparent, in an attempt to make them appear a little less distracting.
Estel

Re: Extended Pursuit Indicator x2/x3/x5/x24

Postby Estel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:41 am

Good job. I'm split between x5 and x24 version, but I think I'll stick with x5 one - during so many jumps there is high probability of delaying/slowing/speeding down fleet, anyway.

Would be possible to use effectively without making every next line a little more transparent, so thanks a lot! Now it looks really natural.

/Estel
rex4

Postby rex4 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:26 pm

Thanks for this addon, before one patch we couldn't see what beacons a beacon can access, this though didn't had fix and when I was motivated I was using paint to see how many beacons I could reach without the rebels being on the final beacon, and when I wasn't I simply could loose to rebels or not farm enough because of that.

As expected though, it's quite a bit a cheat that when you reach a new sector or start a new game you can see them already, before you see the first circle already. Maybe they are always as far each new sector but not the "center of the curve" has not always the same vertical position, it doesn't matter much though.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:50 am

I was planning when you released just the 3x one to take it, extend it out 10x or more. So thank you, you kept me from having to do that :)

One thing I was still (and am still) planning to add is numbers. It'd be a boon to look at the exit beacon and see - instantly - that I had 12 jumps to the exit. However, if you add those I won't have to :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:28 am

I made what I consider to be a big improvement to the "24" image. I'm not ready just yet to release but here's a taste:

My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."