Shiny! UI Overhaul and Graphics Mod v1.0

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Russian Rockman

Re: Shiny! Complete UI Overhaul v0.96

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:23 pm

Wow, I am gone for only a couple days and there are now all these posts with people having issues. :shock: Sorry guys, I usually check the forum every day.

Anyway thanks for trying out the mod! I can't believe this has gotten so popular all of a sudden... :oops:

Now on to your problems... I'm looking in to all of them.

FreakinZombie wrote:Hello. :D I just started using this mod, and it looks really nice. However, it seems to have a few issues when used with the Captain's Edition ships.

First, you can see that the Lanius' back lighting is off center, so it looks kind of strange. Second, Engi cruiser C has some added blacked out rooms that look really strange. I haven't noticed it on any other ships yet, but I haven't really looked too much so far.

I tried patching the game without Captain's Edition and just this mod only, and neither of these problems existed.

Oh, you'll have to open that image in a new tab. Sorry; I don't know how to make it appear fully.

Hello sir, I've seen your let's plays before. ;) And yeah, full screenshots can't fit in these posts unless you edit them.

Anyway, those issues shouldn't be happening with Captain's Edition. Are you sure you've got the mod install order right? If all you are using is CE and this then you should have this placed after all the CE stuff, further down the list in Slipstream. And also you obviously want to make sure you're using the CE version since there are two versions now.

If that still doesn't fix your problem then feel free to ask again. Post a list of your Slipstream load order though, that is the most common problem with mod compatibility.

FortunaDraken wrote:...wow-ee that was. Something. Apparently the CE version of this and Infinite don't play nice on my laptop! Various people on various ships were glitched out (and I don't mean coloured blob version, we're talking full on Missingno. levels of glitched) and cycling between various stats of glitched. That was weiiiiiiird.

That is strange, I'll check to make sure this is working with Infinite, but I don't know what could cause dimension breaking graphical weirdness like you're describing. Again, I couldn't get BPAB 1.3.1 to work on my desktop, but in my laptop it works fine, so some thing I just can't explain at all...

CrashSanders wrote:My god. It was a half of the year since I had those strange forum issues that didn't let me in. Now the issue is gone, I am here and whadda ya know - a russian rockman bossing around! =) I am definitely glad to see a fellow Russian who also a modder. Also thank you for helping Sleeper Service with CE. It's my favorite mod and you made it even better!

Welcome back to the forums comrade! ;)

RAD-82 wrote:I was watching a 5thHorseman video, and it appears that the PDS shot isn't visible. I took a quick look at the vanilla Shiny and it lacks animation code. I assume the CE one works because it gets the code from CE and you forgot to put that code into the vanilla version.

I'll look into that, but I don't think that the PDS shot needs animation code... I'm not sure why the PDS shot would disappear. Wait... Is 5thHorsemen posting videos of my mod??? :? :o
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:54 am

Yeah, he is on his third ship using your Shiny mod. Here is a link to the ASB fight: http://youtu.be/EODoDNGkHd0?t=17m58s

Here is the vanilla code from dlcAnimations.xml for the PDS shot.

Code: Select all

<animSheet name="pds" w="43" h="25" fw="43" fh="25">weapons/pds.png</animSheet>

<anim name="pds">
   <sheet>pds</sheet>
   <desc length="1" x="0" y="0"/>
   <time>1.0</time>
</anim>

The image you took from CE clearly isn't 43 x 25. :lol: I'm guessing it is just using the top-left corner of the CE image, which is empty. I don't have the CE code for it, but I'm sure you have it somewhere.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
FreakinZombie

Postby FreakinZombie » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:39 am

Russian Rockman wrote:Hello sir, I've seen your let's plays before. ;) And yeah, full screenshots can't fit in these posts unless you edit them.

Anyway, those issues shouldn't be happening with Captain's Edition. Are you sure you've got the mod install order right? If all you are using is CE and this then you should have this placed after all the CE stuff, further down the list in Slipstream. And also you obviously want to make sure you're using the CE version since there are two versions now.

If that still doesn't fix your problem then feel free to ask again. Post a list of your Slipstream load order though, that is the most common problem with mod compatibility.

People watch those? :lol: I am using the CE version. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I had things in the wrong order though. Here is my patch order:

I'm kind of a mod freak as you can see...
I do Let's Plays for FTL: Captain's Edition and some other mods as well. If you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 94Z-L1TDrq
CrashSanders

Postby CrashSanders » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:12 am

Russian Rockman wrote:Welcome back to the forums comrade!

Thank you! =)
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:35 pm

FreakinZombie wrote:People watch those? :lol: I am using the CE version. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I had things in the wrong order though. Here is my patch order:

I'm kind of a mod freak as you can see...

Yep, the mod order is your culprit! ;)

It looks like you've got everything in the right order except the Shiny! UI Overhaul and the PDS Shot Replacer.
-Like I said in the OP, "This mod should probably be loaded after all other mods, except for custom ship mods." The reason for this is that Shiny! edits both graphical files and data files.
-The PDS Shot Replacer would normally go with the other CE Resource Pack Replacers because the CE Resource Pack actually uses it's own PDS projectile now, which means it is overwriting that mod in your current order. However, the Shiny! mod also uses a custom PDS projectile which looks like the CE one, but a bit more smoothed out. If you prefer PDS Shot Replacer over the PDS projectile in this mod then you will have to put the PDS Shot Replacer after the Shiny! mod. (Personally I like the PDS Shot Replacer, but I think the tail make it look a bit weird when it hits your ship)
So basically you should have the PDS Shot Replacer at the bottom of the list and Shiny! 2nd from the bottom.

Hope that fixes your problem!

I wish there was a general rule to follow when figuring out mod order, but unfortunately no rule will always apply. In my opinion it is generally best to put all of your larger mods first and your smaller mods last. (With the exception of BPAB which has to be loaded before CE for some reason.). Also, any mod which modifies another mod should be placed after that mod (obviously :P ). You did a good job placing the CE Replacers right after the Resource Pack.
FreakinZombie

Postby FreakinZombie » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:38 pm

Russian Rockman wrote:Hope that fixes your problem!

I haven't been able to find a PDS to check for sure, but everything looks to be in order now! Thanks a bunch.
I do Let's Plays for FTL: Captain's Edition and some other mods as well. If you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 94Z-L1TDrq
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:47 pm

FreakinZombie wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:

I haven't been able to find a PDS to check for sure, but everything looks to be in order now! Thanks a bunch.

Want to see a PDS shot? Suicide run backwards into the Rebel Fleet! :twisted:
FreakinZombie

Postby FreakinZombie » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:40 am

Russian Rockman wrote:Want to see a PDS shot? Suicide run backwards into the Rebel Fleet! :twisted:

I hadn't considered doing that... Thanks! Now I know the PDS replacer works as well.
Russian Rockman

Re: Shiny! Complete UI Overhaul v0.97

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:23 pm

Hello everybody. Here's a new version, I haven't been able to do a lot of the stuff I had planned, but I've made a few small and important changes based on feedback and some videos I've seen.

v0.97
For the Vanilla version, I've made it more Vanilla like:
-Small Captains Edition type font removed
-Life Support is now called Oxygen Again

For the CE version, I've added support for the new CE Hangar screen.

Also, I've uploaded a small little Add-On to this mod. :)
The Background Fleet Shields Add-On is a simple add-on that adds shields to the Rebel and Federation ships that you see in the background during certain events. There are a couple different versions that add shields to either all or only some of the ships. Check it out and tell me what you think. ;)
FortunaDraken

Re: Shiny! Complete UI Overhaul v0.97

Postby FortunaDraken » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:46 am

Huh. So I tested things out to see if this was compatible with sMPK, which it definitely seems to be! Everything worked just fine except for the sound. Quiet as a mouse. I could understand that with the weapons firing, but even the background music and ordinary "you've just hovered over something that has a tool-tip" noises were gone o: Does this mod edit any of those? I think it must be another thing my laptop hates (worked out the graphical glitches go away if I delete all crew images from the mod for...some reason)...le sigh.