[Ship] Visionary

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Liquidcool24

[Ship] Visionary

Postby Liquidcool24 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:54 pm

ImageImage

(replaces stealth cruiser B)

(Story) The space dwelling eye monsters, known as the "Hazaar", is only known to exist in nebulae inhabited by the slug species. Their sole method of attack, the signature shield piercing eye-beam, has devastated many ships and their crew (but for some reason, they never attack slugs). Recently, one specimen had been killed in an incident in a which a ship, whose captain insisted on layer upon layer of wax be applied, reflected the beam back at the monster, killing it instantly. It was intended to be studied at a research facility, in hopes of learning how the beam easily poked through all shields, but then the rebels came...

They rushed to make a ship to put it on, scraping together on anything they could to build a ship. They manage an ok ship, but it lacked some basics such as damaging weapons and a shield system. On the upside, they could now get it to fire regularly. With the rebels (literally) at their door step, the ship launched with the four most qualified people they could find at the time. This is the tale of the FS Visionary.(/Story)

Now that I have that out of the way, welcome to my second public mod! I think this ship is more interesting than my first, but the balance is out of wack. If anyone has any ideas on how to improve on balance, please let me know.

Download:https://mega.co.nz/#!PF9k0QRZ!efaOTT-9CXkflOLiBSCbJ0D7mhQTRNTLCPgLeh-R9pA
Last edited by Liquidcool24 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kieve

Re: [Ship] Visionary

Postby Kieve » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:45 am

Intriguing idea for a ship... getting a serious "Eye of Cthulhu" vibe from it, which is kind of amusing.

Balance-wise, I'm only judging based on what I see in the screencaps, haven't played it yet, but my initial thoughts are thus:
  • Too many augments. Being shieldless and without Zoltan shield does present a unique set of challenges, but try to limit yourself to one augment, two at the most. LR Scanner strikes me as the most fitting in this case, as the Eye can see what lies ahead...
  • Over-powered weapons. In the literal sense - why put 4 power into weapons when you only start with three Ion blasts (1-power weapons)? Better yet - shrink it down to 3 weapons slots, and consider swapping out one of those ions for some other "cheap" weapon, like an S.Bomb, or Artemis launcher. Your call there, just suggesting some diversity..

For added amusement, consider putting that extra power bar from weapons into a drone system, and giving your Hazaar ship a little Demon Eye as a defense drone. ;)
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:53 am

Ok, I am certainly doing this ship next month (this month it is only Christmas Videos)
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
Liquidcool24

Postby Liquidcool24 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:19 pm

Kieve wrote:Intriguing idea for a ship... getting a serious "Eye of Cthulhu" vibe from it, which is kind of amusing.

Balance-wise, I'm only judging based on what I see in the screencaps, haven't played it yet, but my initial thoughts are thus:
  • Too many augments. Being shieldless and without Zoltan shield does present a unique set of challenges, but try to limit yourself to one augment, two at the most. LR Scanner strikes me as the most fitting in this case, as the Eye can see what lies ahead...
  • Over-powered weapons. In the literal sense - why put 4 power into weapons when you only start with three Ion blasts (1-power weapons)? Better yet - shrink it down to 3 weapons slots, and consider swapping out one of those ions for some other "cheap" weapon, like an S.Bomb, or Artemis launcher. Your call there, just suggesting some diversity..

For added amusement, consider putting that extra power bar from weapons into a drone system, and giving your Hazaar ship a little Demon Eye as a defense drone. ;)

Well, I tried putting a zoltan shield on, but it doesn't do anything unless you have a shield system, which is why I have both rock plating and system casing to absorb blows.

As for the weapons, yeah, I probably should have tried something more diverse. I'll probably make an update giving it laser and bomb weapons in place of some ions. Thanks for the advice. :D

BrenTenkage wrote:Ok, I am certainly doing this ship next month (this month it is only Christmas Videos)

I can't wait. :D
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:14 am

I've recently thought about an eye-ball ship before this was posted, probably because I'm a new Terraria player. (Eye of Cthulhu; I'm ignorant of the word Cthulhu elsewhere.) I figured all of the weapon mounts should be hidden in the center of the eye, so everything would fire out of the pupil. I haven't given it much thought since then.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
Liquidcool24

Postby Liquidcool24 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:58 am

RAD-82 wrote:I've recently thought about an eye-ball ship before this was posted, probably because I'm a new Terraria player. (Eye of Cthulhu; I'm ignorant of the word Cthulhu elsewhere.) I figured all of the weapon mounts should be hidden in the center of the eye, so everything would fire out of the pupil. I haven't given it much thought since then.

Well I don't play much Terraria (or any at all), I just thought when I first used the Osprey "This beam would go great on a giant eyeball ship.", then I learned how to mod.
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:22 am

As far as shields go, just add a shields system, give it a shield image, and modify shields so that they cost like 10,000 scrap, preventing impulse buys. You can then apply the Zoltan Shield augment.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:03 am

The thread is two years old. There's a lot more problems than just a shield system for this ship.
Also, spambot necro'd old thread.
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:32 pm

Oh, didn't realize how old the thread was. Oops.