FTL Remastered

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
dalolorn

Re: A potential big art overhaul thing

Postby dalolorn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:27 pm

Kieve wrote:I have to say, I do like the details on the Kestrel rework, enhanced while staying true to form. I'm not a fan of the colors though - any thoughts on keeping closer to the original color schemes (tan-gray / red-orange)? I'm not so much making a request as just asking why the hue shift.

Mind you I also have the same thought on the bronzed look of the rebel fleet ship, but it's just too sexy to nitpick over.

I am in agreement with the second sentence, but the first and last...

The Kestrel redesign looks a bit... strange... even without the color change. The rebel fleet ship, however, looks much better. I do agree that it might be just a bit too far from its original coloring, but it's not too bad, and it seems somewhat more real.
undu

Postby undu » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:28 pm

The pixel art is really a step up from the official one, thanks for starting the project.

This may be a lot of work for you, but there's a nifty mod that adds graphical variety to the weapons, to make each weapon have unique sprites:

The version shown in the picture adds new weapons, but there's a version you can adapt from that only changes the graphics, which may be useful if you want to adapt the idea (to reuse the xml file, for example):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncj6qduy7qq9e ... phical.ftl

Good luck with the mod, I look forward to see how other ships turn out!
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:04 am

The sM Polish Kit, which partially builds off some stuff from the ol' Diversity 0.3, has a bunch of graphical updates to vanilla FTL as well. If you use nothing else, the rotating barrels on the Dual Lasers are too awesome not to include.
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
Phlakes

Postby Phlakes » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:37 pm

So this is an .ftl of what I've been doing so far. One thing I've noticed going through all these is that almost everything has a glow around it, and since they don't fit with pixels (considering the point of pixel art is precision and control and putting lighting effects over it takes that control away) and take up valuable space I've been trying to get rid of them. They definitely still have a visual appeal but I don't think it's worth it practically.

Anyway, this includes-

-The two ships I posted
-Better crosshairs and system icons
-A few changes to the main HUD (which I don't like the style of, need to keep working on that)
-Blast doors that feel like blast doors
-A few weapons, including slightly edited animations
-A different title screen
-Higher contrast health bars
-Various small UI tweaks
-Probably more things I'm forgetting

This is still super early but I'm starting to think I might be able to do this. Then I look at the ships folder.
Last edited by Phlakes on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:28 pm

Wow the new gun design are wicked! I specially like the missile launchers and the Burst Laser MK III with the new decharge pattern. These really look like they mean business and the whole style is nicely coherent. Still a lot of work ahead If you want to go through with this. Keep up the great work!
Phlakes

Postby Phlakes » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Now on ModDB (and up to 165/20173 thanks to hits from the new mods feed). I guess I'm committed now.

And in other news I just beat the game for the first time.

A good day overall.
ImageImage
LordTrilobite

Re: FTL Remastered

Postby LordTrilobite » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:52 pm

First I would like to say, this is awesome.
Exactly what FTL was missing. I'm really digging the more realistic details. This is definitely a mod I'd use.

I was working on a smaller graphics mod myself. Though staying in the style of the original graphics of the game, I modified the underlay of the ship interiors so that it looks like a cutaway. My pixelart skills aren't nearly as good as yours, but Maybe you can get some inspiration from it. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17188
Image - Image
SaadReh

Postby SaadReh » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:06 pm

Wow! I have to say that is an incredible job on that Kestrel, I have been looking for something like this since the release, I always felt like something was missing in terms of visual content and this is it, thank you so much for developing this mod, I cant wait for this to be released!
The weapons look great!
splette

Postby splette » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:46 pm

Very impressive.
Also the subtle changes like icons etc.
Last edited by splette on Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phlakes

Postby Phlakes » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:47 pm

Got some drones in now. There's something about the Anti Ship II that turned out really well, I think closing off those wings might have been a good move. You might also notice that the defense turrets don't read especially well against their bases but it looks better when they're moving.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/ftl-remastere ... -drones-01

Also should I move this over to the Working Mods section? It's playable but it's still like 95% away from the finished product.
ImageImage