[SHIP] [AE] [BETA] The Asteroid - BETA 2.0 FOR AE

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
5thHorseman

Re: [SHIP] The Asteroid

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:46 pm

Thanks!

I think Rock Plating is very thematic, and I agree that swapping out the gun for missiles is the way to go.

I think Asteroid 2.0 is officially in the works.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:39 am

A small pirate ship messages you, "That sure is a shiny ship you got there."

FTL Captain's Edition is currently collecting new ship hulls to increase enemy variety. Your ship design isn't a ship at all, but Id like to turn it into an enemy pirate station. :) I want to ask permission to resize/recolour/modify it and integrate it into CE. Cool?
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:42 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:
A small pirate ship messages you, "That sure is a shiny ship you got there."

FTL Captain's Edition is currently collecting new ship hulls to increase enemy variety. Your ship design isn't a ship at all, but Id like to turn it into an enemy pirate station. :) I want to ask permission to resize/recolour/modify it and integrate it into CE. Cool?

By any and all means do so. Note I didn't make any of the graphics myself; they're just from the asteroids in the game and a half hour or so in Gimp. But mis imágenes sus imágenes :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:18 am

Sleeper Service wrote:A small pirate ship messages you, "That sure is a shiny ship you got there."

May I also recycle your hull graphic? Might not show up in Requiem (I've already created federation sensor outposts, don't need rock stations in this arc of the story), will probably make it a station in Vindication.

Yes, but that's an hour or so in GIMP that I can devote to other tasks :D
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:01 pm

NewAgeOfPower wrote:
Sleeper Service wrote:A small pirate ship messages you, "That sure is a shiny ship you got there."

May I also recycle your hull graphic? Might not show up in Requiem (I've already created federation sensor outposts, don't need rock stations in this arc of the story), will probably make it a station in Vindication.

Yes, but that's an hour or so in GIMP that I can devote to other tasks :D

Of course you may. I'll actually update the first post to more generalize the permission.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

That Guy

Postby That Guy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:06 pm

Thunderr wrote:I love the idea, and the ship looks pretty nice, so I'll give it a shot!
5thHorseman wrote:Hmmmm. I generally shy away from missiles but in this case I think you have a great point. Limit the number of missiles you start with too and you can force the player to use the boarding strategy with missiles as a backup.

Back to the testing booth!

Great idea! Seems more vanilla that way.

Vanilla it may be, but that does not make it any better. The whole point of a mod is to change a game and make it DIFFERENT to Vanilla.

Either way I am *slightly* biased in this as I find missiles to be the most underpowered weapon type in the game. Even ion weapons are better (imo) as you will never have to target the shields or worry about destroying a ship when you want to starve the crew of oxygen. You can shoot what you want and have the ion disable the shields on the go.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:50 pm

That Guy wrote:
Thunderr wrote:I love the idea, and the ship looks pretty nice, so I'll give it a shot!
Great idea! Seems more vanilla that way.

Vanilla it may be, but that does not make it any better. The whole point of a mod is to change a game and make it DIFFERENT to Vanilla.

Either way I am *slightly* biased in this as I find missiles to be the most underpowered weapon type in the game. Even ion weapons are better (imo) as you will never have to target the shields or worry about destroying a ship when you want to starve the crew of oxygen. You can shoot what you want and have the ion disable the shields on the go.

I see where you're coming from (and if you've ever seen my LP series you know my feelings about missiles) but IMO unless there's a good reason to break theme (and there are dozens) you should try to keep within it. I toyed with "Phoenix Missiles" that was basically a hybrid between the Pegasus Missiles and Fire Bombs. IIRC I even had a graphic for them that was a fire bomb sliced in half with a rocket on one end :D

I've also always wanted to redo this without the stasis pod. That said, it's been over 6 months and I haven't updated this mod so I doubt I ever will.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

MightyKebab

Postby MightyKebab » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:05 pm

This ship could be more thematic, you know. As a backstory, It would formerly have been a pirate station in the asteroids but had installed an FTL engine shortly after the rebels' invasion. They could've sacrificed a lot of pieces from their station but would manage to jump off to the next sector by luck. Therefore, the ship would start with only one engine power instead of three, and would have an extra shield bar for the very fact that they were forced to adapt to the asteroid field by installing strong defenses.

Editing the ship blueprints would take less than 30 minutes if you know what you're doing. I myself do it to twist custom-ships to my own taste or just simply have them replace another cruiser instead of a vanilla one I wouldn't want to lose.
RocketFlash

Postby RocketFlash » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:36 am

Hey 5thHorseman, I absolutely love "The Asteroid" The hull is amazing. This mod you made actually inspired me to make my own mods actually. I watched part of your YouTube series as well. Well done :D
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:44 am

Thank you :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB