FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Seike

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.283/Inf 1.28/EL 1.282

Postby Seike » Sun May 29, 2016 8:38 pm

Just thought I'd join the chorus of folks who want a fix for the freeze glitch with CE. I have been running it on two different computers and it crashes on both. Neither computer is a gaming computer neither has a great graphics card or a ton of memory, but they handle plenty of games that need more resources than FTL CE. I've logged ~300 or so hours on FTL vanilla and I don't remember it freezing once.

My Laptop's System: 64 bit win 7 4gb ram.

So my experience of the crashing (similar to many others') is consistent pattern of freezing and it's very problematic. I'll have just jumped into a sector, most recently it was a nebula with a auto scout in the first sector. The initial fight info screen appears ("An automated rebel scout appears..." or something to that effect) and I sometimes actually get so far as to officially pre-pause the game like I normally do before beginning. But before I can close the fight info window my desktop pointer (not the in-game pointer) appears on top of the program, the screen goes "light" like a program that is unresponsive, and eventually windows asks me if I want to wait or close the program.

It doesn't occur every fight, but usually about once in the first sectors. It will always occur at the beginning of a battle or when I have just jumped. It seems to occur frequently with Automated Rebel Scouts, but not exclusively (once it crashed on the traveling between galaxies screen). I don't know anything about glitches, but I'm inclined to believe that the nature of the freezing isn't a crappy memory issue on my end. Although that's an easy thing to point to, I just don't believe it's causing this glitch. I hypothesize some exception that causes an endless loop that can never be resolved occurs. It definitely doesn't happen when a hell of a lot of action is happening on screen - It usually crashes when the game is actually paused at the beginning of a fight and the screen has no action going on, and the battle hasn't commenced yet. Outside of these consistent and repeatable crashes, the game isn't slow or laggy at all even when lots of stuff happens at once.

On my desktop I noticed this freezing was exacerbated by trying to use better planets and when I stopped using any additional mods besides CE + CE resources it's a bit more stable. My laptop, though, still crashes consistently even with just CE + CE Resources in the proper loading order.

Screenshot:
http://imgur.com/yB7xn6M

Very interested for an update to resolve this glitch as I love FTL and CE looks like it's an impressive advancement for the game.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Mon May 30, 2016 1:17 pm

Pretty sure there won't be such an update, since this sounds like you need to allocate more memory to ftl (google large address aware). You can't fix that on the mod developer side.
Grinneg

Postby Grinneg » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:05 pm

I'm among the (apparently few) users that can't seem to get all the pieces working together. I either end up with missing ship backgrounds (seems to be a Randtrel problem) or missing / glitched guns.

My modorder:

Code: Select all

Better Planets and Backgrounds_v1.3.1.ftl
CE Resource Pack 1.28.ftl
FTL Captains Edition 1.283.ftl
CE BPaB Compatibility Patch 1.0.ftl
EL Texture Pack 1.27.ftl
CE Infinite Addon 1.28.ftl
CE Endless Loot Addon for CE Infinite 1.282.ftl
CE Non-EL Enemy Loadouts Addon 1.26.ftl
randomFlagship.ftl
Randtrel.ftl

I've tried moving around the EL texpack, and removing the random mods from the list. The one time I got it to work with the guns being shown, the ships were gone. Mostly I'm getting stretched graphics on SOME EL guns, but not all.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:48 am

Grinneg wrote:I've tried moving around the EL texpack, and removing the random mods from the list. The one time I got it to work with the guns being shown, the ships were gone. Mostly I'm getting stretched graphics on SOME EL guns, but not all.

the mod load order seems to indicate that the CE Infinite Addon should go directly before the EL Texture Pack not after. other than that the mod load order seems to be correct
Grinneg

Postby Grinneg » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:23 am

I tried it both ways, this way made SOME of the graphics show up, but not all. I'm going to keep futzing with it.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:43 am

Grinneg wrote:I tried it both ways, this way made SOME of the graphics show up, but not all. I'm going to keep futzing with it.

just to make sure, you generated the random flagship for ACE infinite and selected ACE for the Randtrel build type, right?
Grinneg

Postby Grinneg » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:33 am

That might explain the problem when I'm trying to use those mods, I finally gave up and removed them from the load list, but still can't get the gun graphics to work. I'm doing a playthrough with glitched graphics and everything else seems okay. I think I used ACE but I'm not sure.
Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:38 pm

hey sleeper service I have some hulls and stuff you could use: a possible federation dreadnought and a light cruiser.
threads:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29527
(light cruiser)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29541
(federation dreadnought, hull recolours and redone hulls credit goes to BigJoe)
see 2nd page for the fed.dreadnought for the download.
killin' slugs and beating Rebels since 2014, modding the game since 2016
verios44

Postby verios44 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:17 pm

I have recently completed everything in vanilla FTL and decided to play with some mods. Naturally, I came to CE. I decided to get everything including EL. My problem thoug, is even though it worked corrcectly for a few sectors, now the game freezes on one specific jump. I am running on OSX, and am having trouble finding out a fix. I know that many say to free up more memory, but I am having trouble figuring out how.

running latest, El Capitan 10.11.5.
RAM capacity is 16 gb's

mod order in SMM

BPaB 1.3.1
CE Resource Pack 1.28
FTL CE 1.283
CE BPaB compatibility 1.0
CE Infinite 1.28
EL Texture 1.27
CE EL for CE Infinite 1.282
CE non-enemy EL 1.26
PotentialAE

ANy help will be greately appreciated, I would love to be able to play with CE and EL, hopes that there is a way to get it to work.

so, I decided to see what whould happen if I canceel that game and restart another, same ship and everything. At least for now, the game is cooperating iwth EL, does not make much sense.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:31 pm

verios44 wrote:game freezes on one specific jump

PotentialAE

If you are flying the Potential, it isn't compatible with CE. This ship crashes when anything tries to decrease your available reactor power, like ion storms or combat augments.

If this specific jump isn't a nebula, then the problem is likely something else.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.