FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
CygnusPrawn

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.283/Inf 1.28/EL 1.282

Postby CygnusPrawn » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:13 pm

Sorry, I guess I wasn't too specific. The game runs, but most of the graphical resources are missing. For instance, the areas where (I assume) ship rooms have been altered, there's blank gray areas, and while it says certain ships have certain weapons, such as an old laser, the graphics for such weapon are absent. CE events still occurred, and all the ship loadouts were altered, but I mainly think it's the resource pack that's causing troubles. I've tried all the troubleshooting, (bar reinstalling the game) but nothing has worked so far. I'll try reinstalling the resources, and see if I have better luck.
"Well, I don't know how many years on this earth I got left. I'm gonna get real weird with it."
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:37 pm

CygnusPrawn wrote:Sorry, I guess I wasn't too specific. The game runs, but most of the graphical resources are missing. For instance, the areas where (I assume) ship rooms have been altered, there's blank gray areas, and while it says certain ships have certain weapons, such as an old laser, the graphics for such weapon are absent. CE events still occurred, and all the ship loadouts were altered, but I mainly think it's the resource pack that's causing troubles. I've tried all the troubleshooting, (bar reinstalling the game) but nothing has worked so far. I'll try reinstalling the resources, and see if I have better luck.

Is re-downloading the mod in the troubleshooting? That would be my first guess here, as I've already written.

Other than that, you could go into the 'resources' folder in the FTL directory, and check if resources.dat's size is about 284 MB. That's what I get with only CE and its resource pack installed, and if yours is smaller (191 MB is standard FTL), you're probably having a problem with SMM loading the mod. You could try and find the modman-log.txt file in its folder an paste it here.

If it's the proper size, I suppose that would be FTL having a problem loading it.. Hard to say why. If you have another computer, you could try modding the game there to see if it works and maybe copy the appropriate files back.
ChauncyBlack

Postby ChauncyBlack » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:27 pm

New to the forums here. First off, thanks to you (SleeperService) for the excellent mod. It has been the source of many great hours of enjoyment (and the occasional urge to throw my keyboard through a window).

That being said, even in the latest version (CE 1.283), I have noticed numerous yet-unfixed grammer and spelling errors. I would volunteer my services to go through the CE game files to do a bit of editing to go into a final patch. Would that be okay with you? Thanks.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:12 am

Hi Chauncy Black, thanks for the offer! Are you familiar with git revision control software? If you want to suggest changes to the mods spelling I'd prefer it happening through that. I'll be posting a small update for CE on the weekend and I'll be creating a new git repository in the process, then you can correct away if you like. :)
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.284/Inf 1.28/EL 1.282

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:48 pm

CE Update 1.284 is out. We also have a new, up-to-date spell checking repo for everyone who wants to contribute in that regard.

Thanks again to everyone who is supporting me on Patreon, you are awesome humans!

CE Update 1.284
- Added some recent patreon supporters to the names list
- Out-of-fuel Drone Manufacturer option now creates drone parts as intended
- Further shortened zero-grav construction yard intro text to prevent crashes?
- Changed some blue options to use the correct brackets
- Fixed ordering of combat aug options in some fights
- Fixed phase three boss having its drone system functionung from the start when fightin in nebula
- Some minor fixes

Captain's Edition continues to rise in popularity, the last update closed in on 60k downloads. I hope you continue to enjoy the mod, meanwhile the development of Hyperspace Admirals, our own stand-alone game continues apace.
Captain Trek

Postby Captain Trek » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:42 pm

Heeey, it's me again! Been a while, huh?

Welp, I decided to try out CE: Infinite and it's... alright, I suppose? I do like the whole Endless Loot idea and execution (although contrary to what the OP says, I definitely think letting the AI ships have EL weapons is the way to go), but it seems to me that because Infinite doesn't fundamentally change how moving beacon to beacon and resolving encounters plays out, all you're effectively doing in practise in the broader sense is making the same game much longer. The execution of it is kinda clever, however, although not having the option to not use the exit beacon when you arrive at it is kinda annoying. I'm assuming it wasn't something that could be fixed, though... Overall, it does what it sets out to do. I'll give it that. Contested sectors are a bit lacking in personality compared to CE's primary sectors, but I supposed that's to be expected.

Anyway, just a few bug reports. I had a few abortive runs to start with and then a successful run with the Zoltan A. During this run, there was a nebula beacon on the first contested sector immediately following sector 3 (which was a "dust cloud warning!" industrial sector) that I simply couldn't access. Whenever I tried to go to it, the game would freeze before I could get an inkling of what was there. After a couple of reloads I wound up just having to go around it.

My second and current run is with the Federation A. During this run, I have encountered two different weapons that are supposed to have additional crew damage effects but don't actually do additional crew damage, namely a Volatile Burst Scatter Laser I, and the legendary burst laser Evaporator. However, on the same run I also found a Volatile Flak I that did do the correct additional crew damage, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

So yeah. Just a couple of little things. Beyond that I'm really surprised by how stable CE: Infinite is. FTL is just a remarkably stable game in general, it seems.

"Captain's Edition continues to rise in popularity,"

Now there's something I'm pleasantly surprised to hear.

EDIT: Continuing the same Fed A run, I've now found a Deathcharge Heavy Scatter Laser I. This is supposed to have +2 crew damage, but its "crew damage 15" stat indicates that it only has +1 crew damage. I've also found a Brutal Heavy Scatter Laser I that has no additional crew damage stat listed (I'm not going to bother buying it and testing it since the Evaporator and Scatter Laser I already have that are supposed to deal additional crew damage also don't have crew damage listed in their statblocks, whereas the Volatile Flak I that worked did have crew damage listed in its stat block).

EDIT 2: Finished the run now and found one more weapon with a prefix that didn't work properly. Specifically, an Unfocused Halberd that did indeed have a longer trail just as advertised, but still did 2 damage per room instead of one as the prefix states it should. I also found a Volatile Flak III whose +1 crew damage worked properly, just like the Volatile Flak I.

EDIT 3: On the other hand, the shield piercing prefix works perfectly... handy when you're flying the Stealth B and happen to pick up a Piercing Halberd during sector 1... X3

EDIT 4: This is a really minor point, but you know how prefixes have all capital letters if they're positive, all lower case letters if they're negative, and a mixture if they have both positive and negative effects? Well, shouldn't the "sec" that stands for "second hand" be "Sec", then? Because a second hand weapon is good if you find it in a store, but bad if you find it in the wild.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:26 pm

Captain Trek wrote:EDIT: Continuing the same Fed A run, I've now found a Deathcharge Heavy Scatter Laser I. This is supposed to have +2 crew damage, but its "crew damage 15" stat indicates that it only has +1 crew damage. I've also found a Brutal Heavy Scatter Laser I that has no additional crew damage stat listed (I'm not going to bother buying it and testing it since the Evaporator and Scatter Laser I already have that are supposed to deal additional crew damage also don't have crew damage listed in their statblocks, whereas the Volatile Flak I that worked did have crew damage listed in its stat block).
That is mostly due to the hacky way in which their reduced starting crew damage is implemented. True crew damage is calculated like this:

Code: Select all

<damage>*15
+<crewDamage>*15

However, the game only displays the crewDamage stat if it is anything else than zero. The crew damage stat in tooltips has to be read as bonus damage essentially. If I recall correctly normal weapons like burst lasers for example don't even list their crew damage, since their <crewDamage> stat is zero and all their crew damage is caused by their actual <damage> stat.

Normally, the Heavy Scatter has -15 crew damage, so the prefix is working as intended there. It is compensating the reduced crew damage of the base weapon essentially. It's the same thing with the Burst Scatter. It would normally reduce the damage its projectiles deal to crew, with volatile their crew damage gets no longer reduced, their <crewDamage> becomes zero and their projectiles will deal 15 crew damage per <damage>, without displaying extra crew damage in the tooltip.

Captain Trek wrote: Specifically, an Unfocused Halberd that did indeed have a longer trail just as advertised, but still did 2 damage per room instead of one as the prefix states it should.
Thanks, I'll look into that one.

Captain Trek wrote:This is a really minor point, but you know how prefixes have all capital letters if they're positive, all lower case letters if they're negative, and a mixture if they have both positive and negative effects? Well, shouldn't the "sec" that stands for "second hand" be "Sec", then? Because a second hand weapon is good if you find it in a store, but bad if you find it in the wild.
Good point, that will be changed.

Captain Trek wrote:Anyway, just a few bug reports. I had a few abortive runs to start with and then a successful run with the Zoltan A. During this run, there was a nebula beacon on the first contested sector immediately following sector 3 (which was a "dust cloud warning!" industrial sector) that I simply couldn't access. Whenever I tried to go to it, the game would freeze before I could get an inkling of what was there. After a couple of reloads I wound up just having to go around it.
I'll look into that.
Captain Trek

Postby Captain Trek » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:36 pm

I could've sworn that regular burst scatter lasers dealt crew damage as normal (and were only lacking in system damage), but fair enough. I guess I goofed there. The fact remains, however, that the Evaporator's advertised extra crew damage most definitely did not function. I had it equipped on my ship and used it and it only dealt 15 damage to enemy crew members per landed shot. Still held onto it, though, because Burst II with Burst III is a great combination (especially a reduced cooldown Burst III like CE Infinite's Fed A starts with).

Also, I've now, with the Stealth B, found a beacon in open space in a Contested Sector that freezes the game, just like the nebula beacon I had while flying the Zoltan A.
MegaB

Postby MegaB » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:38 pm

So after I try to jump to one sector my game just hangs and does not unfreeze.
Ill upload my save here https://www.dropbox.com/s/zidj2ewcx01n1 ... t.rar?dl=0

Here is my mods: https://gyazo.com/ae37cee04aac474c710edcd91f2ef151

Thanx for the awesome mod! Would support you, but don't have that much spare money :/
OoO

Postby OoO » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:54 pm

Hi. I want to say thanks to all contributors for your work in this awesome mod :D

I have a request if you don't mind. The Advanced plating augment description is kind of misleading, I didn't understand what it actually did (limit enemy system power for MC and Hacking) until I read about it in the CE Wiki. When I bought it from the store I thought it would completely disable either of those systems. The augment description is not entirely clear IMO.

That is all, time to get back to FTL :mrgreen: