FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Russian Rockman

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.244/Inf 1.244/EL 1.242

Postby Russian Rockman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:05 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:I was using about 12 frames I think, twice as many as you have right now. Lets just say the image was really freaking long... Extending the image all the way across the screen is indeed not optimal, but it worked for me. If you want to animate the right side at all, that is what I would suggest.

Did you test if that actually works ingame? Cause image sizes beyond 2000 did not work for me on other circumstances (as explosions and such). Yet again that was pre AE...

Yes, I always test stuff. I think it even worked at about 20,000 pixels long in this case.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:37 pm

Glad someone finally tested this out...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26209&p=83631#p83631

Russian Rockman wrote:
NarnKar wrote:All right, so I tested this out. I put a Chain Vulcan as the artillery weapon, and mounted it on the Federation C (not that the ship itself matters).

The <boost> tag still applies, which is good.

So with 1 power, the Vulcan acted much as you'd expect it would. Reload times: 14 seconds, 11 seconds, 8 seconds, 6 seconds, 4 seconds, 1.7 seconds, and leveling out at ~1 second.

With an upgrade to 4 power, the Vulcan had these reload times: 5.8 seconds, 4.6 seconds, 3.6 seconds, 2.6 seconds, 1.5 seconds, and leveled out at ~.5 seconds.

The cooldown for a regular Chain Vulcan (the weapon, not the artillery system) is 2 seconds,and it looks like the 1 power Artillery Vulcan worked much the same way.
But the 4 power Artillery Vulcan had cooldown drops of 1 second, so it looks like the cooldown drops get faster as the Artillery System gets more powerful.

As a side note, a 4 power Artillery Vulcan is a sight to behold, my friends. What a spectacular sight indeed.

(edit: clarified some words)

Thank you so much for finally testing this out. :D I've been meaning to, but never got around to it.

Would you mind testing how the chain weapons work on drones? If they work that could open up some very interesting possibilities.

Also, do multiple shot drone weapons work? Like I was thinking about a slow moving drone that fired 5 lasers at a time or something.
condonzack

Postby condonzack » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:39 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:How many frames did you use and how large was the actual image? Cause I wanted to have many frame for the left side (at this time assuming that the right side would actually work as a separate image), I defined a smaller frame size for the image. Extending the image all the way across the hangar does not seem optimal. I find that the absence of additional animation on the right does not show that much.

IceMaverick wrote:Hey Sleeper Service, it's IceMaverick, you tune in to my stream on twitch to watch me fail pretty hard at your mod sometimes :P Anyways, I said that I had noticed a lot of typos and such in various events and have begun to screenshot each instance. So I now present to you my first collection of typos and errors!

Hey Ice, great job! I'll work these in for the next updates. Thanks for your help.

condonzack wrote:I re downloaded better planets- both of them. Neither worked, just like before.

Re-download CE and its related files then?

I did that when I downloaded better planets.
rsf77

Postby rsf77 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi, new player here, well... fairly new but I have been playing the game relentlessly for about a week. I've been playing captains edition for a handful of runs (7 or so maybe?) and I'm finding it difficult to play most of the time and I think I realize why unless its just a string of bad luck. Except for my very first run with CE in which I got plentiful dominating weapons basically handed to me at the start, all but one of which I haven't seen since, every single playthrough I have had to suffer through horrible weapon drops. The stores half the time don't have weapons and when they do the selection isn't really anything that helps me, I wish they always at least had weapons to chose from but cest la vie I guess.

Anyways, what I'm getting at is I think maybe the vast variety of weapons is actually making the game a lot more difficult and more based on luck. I don't really know how the game chooses which weapons to put in stores and whatnot, but it seems a lot more often than not its something thats largely situational and not really any help once you start getting to the later sectors and especially when going up against enemies with 4 shield bubbles, unless you have some specialized ship build that needs that. Sometimes its hell trying to find some set of guns that can even penetrate 4 shields, you could go with missiles but you would run out before you get to the flagship depending on them to crack more shielded enemies.. and then you would have to hope you found a defense scrambler anywhere to be able to do anything against the flagship reliably.

That's all, quite possibly there is something I'm not seeing or just had a string of bad luck but that was my first impression. For kicks, the very first ship I played in CE was favored by the RNGods and ended up with this:

Two burst laser mkIIs
3 shot charged ion gun (pretty much didn't even need it anymore but left it on)
A naginata beam
Cloak, drones, and shield bypassing artillery (the same fed ship that has it in vanilla, can't remember the name)
Except for the 3 charge ion gun, I haven't seen any of those weapons since.

That ship was just gross, even one shotting several rebel ships in the final sector with one salvo right out of cloak and shredding the flagship apart like it was just another regular enemy. Since then I can't get a decent weapons drop to save my life though.

edit: Also this mod really needs its own wiki.
FortunaDraken

Postby FortunaDraken » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:28 pm

@rsf77 The interesting thing about Captain's Edition is that, with everything so different, you usually have to plan a strategy that revolves around what you end up finding. One run I had ended up with me loading up on nothing but ion weapons - I literally found nothing else. Thankfully I also picked up Drone Control.

It does take awhile to get used to Captain's Edition though, that's for sure. I've found playing on Infinite helps you get used to the different styles of play when the normal runs are just kicking booty.

Bug time!

I'm not on the current CE edition, nor have I been keeping up with thread lately, so this may have been fixed, but at any rate. The Lanius Instigator's doors seemed to be glitching out when they move around. The...right-hand door on the wall that connects Piloting to Engines seems to be making the Lanius move in strange ways. I've had one walk all the way from Medical to Piloting without actually using the connecting rooms, and another just now did the backwards "I will walk OUT of this room, shut the door, then phase through the wall in order to enter Piloting" trick. Both glitches involved that same door, so I think its links might be a little off.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:36 pm

rsf77 wrote:edit: Also this mod really needs its own wiki.

I agree that wouldn't hurt. ;) There's so much new stuff in Captain's Edition it can be overwhelming for new people. Most people can figure it out OK, but I'm afraid there have been a number of people that try this mod and quit on it because they simply don't understand some of the mechanics. :(

About your own predicament rsf77... It seems like you've had a run of bad luck. I find that in Captain's Edition I get good weapon drops as early as Sector 1. Often times I will get two good weapon drops by sector 1 or 2 and I'll usually keep those weapons t the end. There may be a lot of stuff with Captain's Edition that you may not be aiming to get, which will make stores seem not as useful all the time. However, I think part of Captain's Edition is trying to make due with what you can find. You wont always have the same formula as vanilla, which is one of my favorite things about it. I found myself to often in vanilla always trying to get the same weapon loadout on every ship, this is nigh impossible in Captain's Edition.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:40 pm

rsf77 wrote:Anyways, what I'm getting at is I think maybe the vast variety of weapons is actually making the game a lot more difficult and more based on luck. I don't really know how the game chooses which weapons to put in stores and whatnot, but it seems a lot more often than not its something thats largely situational and not really any help once you start getting to the later sectors and especially when going up against enemies with 4 shield bubbles, unless you have some specialized ship build that needs that. Sometimes its hell trying to find some set of guns that can even penetrate 4 shields, you could go with missiles but you would run out before you get to the flagship depending on them to crack more shielded enemies.. and then you would have to hope you found a defense scrambler anywhere to be able to do anything against the flagship reliably. [...] Since then I can't get a decent weapons drop to save my life though.

Yeah, don't let the game fool you into thinking that weapon drops determine your win chance. The goal is to get to level of skill and decision making that makes you independent from drops. As other said, the game is to some extend adjusting and making use of whatever you get. Sometime you'll get great gear fro free, but you can never count on that, in vanilla as much as in CE.

CE also adds a lot of equalizing elements you can make use of. Running out of missiles? Every missile weapon you pick up enables you to engineer an ammo manufacturer for example. If you commit to using missiles this way and start producing ammo you won't run out that fast. Don't find any weapons you deem useful? A lot of ships have access to powerful damage dealing artillery in CE, you'll get a chance to pick up artillery at pretty much any run at some point. You can't get through shields in the late game? AE already gave you the widely available hacking system, which allows you to get through pretty much any shields.

If you can't beat the game consistently on normal vanilla then CE will definitely be pretty harsh. But that is the whole premise, CE was always aiming primarily at experienced FTL players that seek a new challenge. It is designed to be harsher and more punishing. But I don't find that weapon variety contributes that much to this. Yet again I'm not a good judge of this, cause I know the use and function of any CE weapon in and out. :D Can you describe what weapons you don't deep helpful and why?

FortunaDraken wrote:I'm not on the current CE edition, nor have I been keeping up with thread lately, so this may have been fixed, but at any rate. The Lanius Instigator's doors seemed to be glitching out when they move around.

Has been fixes since a few weeks I think. ;)

Also this mod really needs its own wiki.

Well then make one.
condonzack

Postby condonzack » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:28 pm

I was having the same issue regarding weapons at first. But as I've come to understand the (MANY) new weapons I can usually adjust my strategies. Although it can suck when you know exactly what kind of weapon you need to get the perfect set up and the game just refuses to give it to you.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:27 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:
rsf77 wrote:Anyways, what I'm getting at is I think maybe the vast variety of weapons is actually making the game a lot more difficult and more based on luck. [...]

[...] CE was always aiming primarily at experienced FTL players that seek a new challenge. It is designed to be harsher and more punishing. But I don't find that weapon variety contributes that much to this. [...]

IMO, the difficulty of CE isn't necessarily in the weapon variety itself, but moreso in the fact that it is a vast variety. It's a kind of "I am new to this, and there is a lot take in" difficulty. Like rsf77 said, there's just a lot more to work with, and it's a new experience from vanilla FTL. Things are more random, yes, but there's just so much more content to access randomly, that you see new things at every twist and turn, as a player.

In contrast, it's not "these weapons suck" difficulty; like Sleeper_Service said, there's a lot of alternatives and counters. Again it's more "I am new to this and don't know all of its ins and outs," kind of "I don't know how to work with this best because this is a new thing".

At least, that's how I see it?

But as a modder who routinely digs through CE files, and as someone who plays FTL only on CE infinite, I'm not exactly entitled to that opinion. I've seen it all. If anything, this posts is kind of a paraphrase of the general attitude of the FTL subreddit and TotalBiscuit's video on CE.
IceMaverick

Postby IceMaverick » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:18 pm

Hey Sleeper Service, it's IceMaverick again and I have more typos and their corrections along with it for you. :D In addition to my package of typos, I have others notes to ask about as well.

Typo Package 2: http://www.mediafire.com/download/8ult1 ... _29_14.rar

First off, included in the typos is a note on one of the events in the Slug Nebula where you meet a Slug station that presents you with several options (Of which I cannot remember). If you choose to attack the station, the text then reads like you're about to initiate combat, but simply doesn't. The station doesn't become aggressive and you can't attack it. You just leave as though the event ended. Might want to look into that one. :P

Secondly, I haven't tested the newest version of it yet, but does the additional music content normalization balance the volume of the custom ending credits music? It's incredibly loud compared to the rest of the game and plays as a "Sound Effect" instead of music, so it definitely doesn't balance the volume correctly (Especially since I keep my music a little quieter than the SFX for my stream.) Is there any way we can make that sound track a tad quieter? Or can we simply make the SFX stop playing once we hit escape or something? In its current state it just keeps playing until it's finished, even if we skip the credits. :? If the normalization of custom music in the latest version fixes this, just let me know :P