(Please read through this section in case you encounter a problem with CE)
Mod manager crashes:
Follow the instructions here. Also Make sure you have the latest version of SMM installed.
Modded game crashes upon starting up:
First make sure you observed the load order shown bellow the download links (you have to drag the mods into the right order within the mod manager window to establish your load order.)
If the crash persist: Reinstall FTL or verify its game data with steam. Delete the content of the /backup folder of the mod manager or delete the entire mod manager end extract it anew (do not override the old mod manager, crashes can be caused by pre AE backup files in SMM that will not be removed this way).
If crashes persist: Read through the last pages of the SMM thread to see if anyone had similar problems and how they got fixed. Sometimes the download is faulty, so re-downloading the mod might also be an option.
Mod manager freezes while processing the Endless Loot Addon:
If you have a 64b system, make sure that you have the 64b version of Java installed. If it still does not work or if you have a 32b system, find out (aka google) how to extend Javas headspace. Running the mod manager with extended Java headspace might or might not fix the freezes for you. There is a chance that a future version of SMM will be able to handle EL more reliably.
Game crashes/freezes after or during the loading screen when having EL 0.97 or later installed:
Your FTL does not have access to enough memory in order to cache all the images EL adds. The solution is to allocate more memory to FTL:
Nicb1 wrote:GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!
I got Endless Loot 0.97 working by using a program to allow FTL to access more ram.
You just have to apply this fix to the FTLgame.exe and it'll launch without any issues.
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threa ... re.112556/
I just tested the game properly after applying this patch and it runs perfectly
Better Planets and Backgrounds causes crashes together with CE:
A few people reported problems with version 1.3.1. of BPaB. But version 1.2.1 seems to work for everyone.
Black squares / pure black backgrounds with Better Planets and Backgrounds installed:
Make sure that you use the BPaB compatibility patch and double check if you mods are in the right order. Check the mod load order template below the download links.
A lot of textures are missing.
Make sure that you have the required resource/texture packs installed. Captains Edition requires the CE Resource Pack. Endless loot requires the EL Texture Pack.
I took the "emergency fuel" option and now the fleet gets double jumps all the time.
This will happen if you hit restart after taking that option. For some odd reason, the added fleet pursuit carries over to the new game. Going back to the hangar and restarting the run from there will fix this problem.
Game crashes upon jumping to a beacon/sector or upon choosing an event option:
Please report the crash in the thread. If you want to help out, then provide as much information as possible (screenshot?; sector name?; event type: open space?, nebula?; in case you had scanning augs: hostile present at beacon?, hazard present at beacon?) Remember that you can still continue your run with AEs crash save.
(complete version history can be found in the mod appendix file)
- Code: Select all
CE Resource Pack 1.23 (silent update)
- PDS projectile graphic edges fixed
CE Resource Pack 1.23
- Some of scooterbagas great image replacements integrated
- Civilian Infiltrator cloak image added
- ASB hazard uses a custom projectile graphic now
- Light Scatter Laser projectiles fan out in flight and impact with scatter impacts
CE Update 1.23
- The game no longer starts in hyperspace; hyperspace events start to appear after sector one onwards
- Some blue options for hyperspace events added
- CEs Anti-Drones are slightly cheaper now
- Ion Flak II price slightly decreased
- Anti-Ship Swarm missile drone projectiles are correctly shot down by defense drones now
- Niche gear available at the nebula weapon trader costs less scrap
- Lanius Instigator gibs fixed
- Lanius Broodship clone tube and door links fixed
- Mantis troopship gibs fixed
- Federations planets assaulted by gunboats offer their fire support earlier in the fight now
- Combat aug options for space dock fight fixed
- Some typos fixed
CE Infinite 1.23
- Changes of CE 1.23 imported
- Fixed a problem that caused hyper space events to appear when traveling to civilian sectors
CE Endless Loot 1.23 for CE and CE Endless Loot 1.23 for CE Infinite
- Changes of CE 1.23 imported
CE Resource Pack 1.229
- Fixed a problem that prevent Russian Rockmens map icons from appearing
CE Update 1.229
- Hull Crusher Laser now pierces one shield
- Bardiche Beam price and cooldown decreased
- Burst Scatter Defense Drone projectile speed decreased
- Burst Scatter Laser I price increased
- Minelauncher prices reduced
- Light Anti-Crew Missile Drone needs two power now
- Enemy versions for swarm missiles and minelaunchers added; enemies will no longer spawn with high tier missiles early on
- Some previously left out changes that AE made implemented
- Last stand repair beacons display some friendly fed stations now
- Repair beacons during the last stand are no longer as safe as they used to be
- Outlaws at the entrance to Pirate sectors have ASBs backup now
- Rock Homeworlds call the hyperspace event correctly now
- Typ C Rock enemy gibs and cloak offsets fixed
- Typ C Rock enemy escape event fixed
- Typ C Rock enemies are equipped with Crystal Vengeance instead of Rock Plating now
- Rock Checkpoint shield graphic repositioned
- Slightly changed the description of some player ships to point more clearly to their CE characteristics
- Rock C comes with Crystal Vengeance instead of Rock Plating now (piracy options did not feel right for that ship)
- Some typos fixed
CE Infinite 1.229
- Changes of CE 1.229 imported
CE Endless Loot 1.229 for CE and CE Endless Loot 1.229 for CE Infinite
- Stun beams no longer can have the "piercing" prefix
- Healing Burst variants graphics fixed
- Changes of CE 1.229 imported
Non EL Enemy Loadouts Addon 1.229
- Changes of CE 1.229 imported
CE Update 1.228
- Auto Lasers gained a small fire chance
- Targeting Jammer and Drone Uplink Jammer pre-fight options display their power cost correctly now
- Unknown refugee ships have to be hailed and fully identified before they can be pirated
- Fixed one refugee event that was not loading the correct ship
- Enabled breaking truce with Lanius ships
CE Update 1.227
- Various AI ship layout door links fixed
- Phase three boss drones nerved
CE Endless Loot 1.226 for CE and CE Endless Loot 1.226 for CE Infinite
- Slug A loadout fixed
CE Update 1.226
- Light Gatling Laser is now called Light Chain Vulcan to avoid conflict with a EL prefix
- Stealth C cloak offset fixed
- Ice-fields prevent Auto-Stations from cloaking as intended now
- Fixed a bad textlist ID in the Slug player surrender event
CE Update 1.225c
- Fixed a crash related to AI sector store events
- Fixed a crash related to Revel sector store events
CE Resource Pack 1.225
- Initial release, required for the Captains Edition base mod
CE Update 1.225b
- Lanius Instigator layout fixed?
- CE textures and audio files outsourced to facilitate updating the mod
CE Endless Loot 1.225b for CE and CE Endless Loot 1.225b for CE Infinite
- "Shredder" works on bombs as intended now (fixes Slug A loadout)
- A few missile prefixes can be applied to bombs as well now
CE Update 1.225
- Jumps to new sectors are now considered long-range hyperspace jumps that come with distinct visuals and sound
- Performing long-range jumps globally drains fuel, jumping on emergency fuel only causes the fleet to catch up
- Various speed and fuel usage options (depending on your engine levels) allow you to get a head-start against the fleet, with trade-offs
- Friendly PDS warning icon removed (was required to make this work)
- Exit beacons now use the infinite textlist that describes their long-range jump relays
- Distraction Buys removed from the game (mess up fleet delay at start beacon events)
- Maul beam glow fixed
- Targeting Jammer is slightly less effective now
- Refugee events spawns the correct ships now
- Red-Tail float doors removed
- Zoltan Gunboat doors fixed
- Some typos fixed
CE Additional Music Addon
- Changes of CE 1.225 imported
CE Infinite 1.225
- Changes of CE 1.225 imported
CE Endless Loot 1.225 for CE and CE Endless Loot 1.225 for CE Infinite
- "Heavy" and "Wild" can no longer be applied to hull weapons
- Changes of CE 1.225 imported
Non EL Enemy Loadouts Addon 1.225
- Reverts Lanius weapon list as well now
CE Update 1.222
- Mantis Minelayer doors and gibs fixed
- Some Lanius ship offsets fixed
- Red-Tail artillery room airlocks fixed
- Fixed a crash related to the Federation/Engi store event
- A few events that can deny you the "Tactical Approach" achievement now telegraph more clearly that they do so
- All internal AP drones have personal shielding now (visual effect only)
- Combat augment blue options display power costs now
- The boss charges weapons slower on easy now (to compensate for the meany meany layout)
- Phase three flagship no longer deploys combat augments
- Phase three flagships life support will fail, forcing a the AI takeover and re-introducing CEs makeshift "fourth phase"
- Phase three flagship will activate internal drones after the AI has taken over
- Phase three flagship is equipped with defensive augments again
- Slightly increased the probability of finding/encountering internal drones
- Some typos fixed
CE Endless Loot 1.222 for CE and CE Endless Loot 1.222 for CE Infinite
- Changes of CE 1.222 imported
- Reworked the way "Shrapnel" and "Shredder" works
- Decreased the effect of prefixes that change fire chance, breach chance and stun chance
- Increased the effect of prefixes that affect drone evade
- Added a cooldown penalty for a few very positive prefixes
- "Piercing" and "Focused" can no longer apply to non-damaging beams
- Speed modifying drone prefixes can now also apply to boarding drones
- Certain defense drone prefixes no longer apply to anti drones
- Some small changes and fixes
CE Update 1.221b
- Crashes related to one junk character fixed
- Fleet Flagship Construction offset fixed
- Adaptive Effector adapts correctly and more linear now
- Adaptive Effector cooldown and power cost increased
CE Update 1.221
- CE Flak Mark I cooldown decreased
- Fixed a crash related to the Lanius trade event
- "Defense satellites gone haywire" event now allows changing your mind after considering to help
- Various refugees fleeing the Rebels advance can no be pirated (which makes you a horrible person)
- "Humanoid requests to be dismissed" event fixed
- Engi Drone Harbor weapon mount fixed
- A couple additional blue options for adaptive gel suits added
- Leviathan Missiles deal and show the intended damage now
- All drones enable engineering a Drone Manufacturer now
- All missile weapons enable engineering an Ammo Manufacturer now
- Salvaging fleet ships has some different flavor texts for crew kills now
CE Update 1.22
- One weapon added
- Design of the Effectors reworked
- New impact graphics for Effectors and Neural Stunners added
- Stealth Beam Drone Mark I and II are better at evading enemy anti-drones now
- Zoltan artillery can no longer accidentally hit two rooms
- Crystal artillery can now be shot down by defense drones as intended
- Crystal unlock quest no longer gives the Crystal Vengeance augment
- Zoltan negotiations with Rock trade stations now give stores as intended
- Flagship crew is equipped with Adaptive Gel Suits during all phases now
- Phase three flagship can now also disrupt your hacking system
- Player and enemy combat augments now use up some reactor power when being active
- The Internal Generator will supply the required power if it is used to power up a second combat augment
- Internal Generator also gives an option to negate power costs for your first combat augment; this prevents powering a second one
- Subspace Scanner is more effective against cloaking now
- Internal Effector is less effective against cloaking, mind control and hacking now
- Plasma storms now disable all combat augments
- Impact graphic for light crystal weapons added
- Swarm missile tooltip no longer wrongly states that missile swarms evade defense drones (?)
- Swarm missiles are slightly cheaper now
- Hight tier swarm missiles fire slightly faster now
- Missile Flak max damage reduced
- Certain enemies are slightly more likely to use Ion Intruders
- Stores have varying chances to be equipped with cargo teleporters now, depending on sector type (original idea by jopyth)
- Corporate Science Station uses the correct weapon list again
- Mantis Minelayer uses the Mantis Scout hull now
- Mantis Troopship uses the Mantis Minelayer hull now
- Some small fixes
- Some typos fixed
CE Infinite 1.22
- Changes of CE 1.22 imported
- A few more semi-boss events to contested deep space starting beacons added
EL Texture Pack 1.22
- Added missing textures for Plasma Drones
- A few new graphics for EL 1.22 added
CE Endless Loot 1.22 for CE and CE Endless Loot 1.22 for CE Infinite
- Fixed a problem with visual variants of the Breach Bomb Mark II
- Fixed a problem with visual variants of the Fire Bomb Mark II
- "Breaching" does add less breach chance for beams now
- Asteria Missile Launcher can no longer have the "Replicator" prefix
- "Shrapnel" and "Shredder" prefixes readjusted
- "Ripper" can no longer apply to weapons with more than three shops
- Changes of CE 1.22 imported
- Playership showcase re-integrated
EL Vanilla Enemy Loadouts Addon 1.22
- Changes of CE 1.22 imported
- Does no longer reset event related weapon lists
CE Update 1.217
- Classic version of Splettes Highres Shield Graphics mod integrated (Original mod here: http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24982 )
- Hull Repair Kit effectiveness slightly reduced
- Shading direction for Slug artillery graphic fixed
- Fire focus beam now pierces all shields to avoid confusion caused by its automatically generated description
- Some problems with the new Lanius enemy layouts fixed
- Auto Repair Ships and Rebel Repair Ships are a little less good at repairing now
- Neutral stations and ships will no longer randomly teleport people after certain neutral events (?)
- Certain empty beacons during the last stand now allow socializing and on-board engineering as well
- Federation controlled sectors have a small chance to spawn a low scale repair beacon
- Human crew-members that want to resign are now dismissed immediately, to avoid other crewmen stepping in for them
CE Infinite 1.217
- Changes of CE 1.217 imported
CE Endless Loot 1.217 for CE and CE Endless Loot 1.217 for CE Infinite
- A few prefixes added
- Changes of CE 1.217 imported
- Focused Beam Drone can no longer have the focused prefix
Download CE Resource Pack 1.23 (MediaFire)
This includes all the textures, audio files and other asset that are required for Captain's Edition. Install with Slipstream Mod Manager. Best loaded before the Captains Edition base mod.
Download FTL Captain's Edition 1.23 (MediaFire)
The base mod. Fully AE compatible. Designed to be played on Normal difficulty. Install with Slipstream Mod Manager. Requires the CE Resource Pack.
Download CE Vanilla Player Ship Loadouts Addon 1.214b (MediaFire)
Recommended. Reverts changes that CE makes to player ship loadouts (Classic and AE) and re-equips the player ships with their original gear. CEs custom player ship loadouts are mainly designed as a showcase that teaches you aspects of CE. You can use this addon if your prefer playing the player ships with their classic loadouts. Requires the Captain's Edition base mod. Has to be loaded after Captains Edition to work properly. Install with Slipstream Mod Manager Has to be loaded after most other addons of CE to work. Check the load order template below.
Download CE Vanilla Portraits Patch (Dropbox)
Optional. Reverts changes that CE makes to crew portraits. Courtesy of Russian Rockman. Has to be loaded after Captains Edition to work properly.
Download CE Infinite Addon 1.23 (MediaFire)
Optional. This turns FTL into a semi endless sandbox game, much like the original Infinite Space mod by DrkTemplar. It also supports all the regular Captains Edition features and AE. Provides a less harsh and more relaxed CE experience at the beginning, with gradually increasing challenge in later sectors. It's highly recommended to read the detailed descriptions at the end of this post. Install with Slipstream Mod Manager. Requires the Captain's Edition base mod. Has to be loaded after Captains Edition to work. Check the load order template below.
Download EL Texture Pack 1.22 (MediaFire) Powered by rannl content generation
These are the textures required for the different flavors of the Endless Loot Addon. Best loaded before Endless Loot.
Download CE Endless Loot Addon for CE Infinite 1.23 (MediaFire)
Powered by rannl software. Optional subaddon for CE infinite. This introduces procedural content generation to FTL and currently adds over 9000 (!) weapon, drone and enemy variants to the game. Details at the end of this post. Install with Slipstream Mod Manager. Requires the EL Texture pack, the Captain's Edition base mod and the CE Infinite Addon. Has to be loaded after Captains Edition and the addon to work. Check the load order template below.
Download CE Endless Loot Addon for standard CE 1.23 (MediaFire)
Experimental. Does the same as EL for CE Infinite, but is compatible with regular CE. Please note: An EL version for regular CE has been requested several times, so now there is one. But the broader range of great and garbage gear that the Endless Loot Addon creates was never really intended to be used outside the sandbox of CE Infinite. Use at your own discretion.
You can also use this version with CE Infinite. That will disable exponential growing ship upgrade costs and prevent deep space elite enemies from spawning. Infinite gameplay can become boring quickly that way IMO, but this has been requested, so here is a way to have that...
Install with Slipstream Mod Manager. Requires the EL Texture pack and the Captain's Edition base mod. Has to be loaded after Captains Edition and the addon to work. Check the load order template below.
Download CE Non-EL Enemy Loadouts Addon 1.229 (Mediafire)
Strongly recommended. Reverts changes that both variants of CE Endless Loot make to enemy loadouts (Classic and AE) and prevents enemies from using procedurally generated gear. If you do not use this, enemies will become way more unpredictable and enemy weapon rarity will be messed up. Install with Slipstream Mod Manager. Has to be loaded after Captains Edition and Endless Loot to work properly. Check the load order template below.
Download CE Additional Music Addon 1.225 (MediaFire)
Optional. Adds a custom soundtrack for CEs new sector types. Install with Slipstream Mod Manager. Requires the Captains Edition base mod. Has to be loaded after Captains Edition to work. Check the load order template below.
Capain's Edition uses some images from sanmonkus great Better Planets and Backgrounds mod in certain events. It is recommended to use this mod alongside CE for coherency. And also because it looks simply fantastic.
Better Planets and Backgrounds has to be loaded before Captain's Edition in order to work correctly with it. Note: Since 1.2 you will need this compatibility patch in order to make CE work correctly together with Better Planets and Backgrounds:
Download CE BPaB Compatibility Patch 1.0
The patch has to be loaded after Better Planets and Backgrounds and Captain's Edition in order to work. Check the load order template below.
If you want to see more of your new enemies you can use kartoFlanes nifty Expanded Enemy Window 1.1 mod.
Mod Load Order
When you patch the mods in via SMM, not loading mods in the right order can cause various problems (visual glitches in some events, crystal sector spawning instead of deepspace).
Therefore you have to get the mods into the right order, simply by dragging them around in the mod manager window. In the end, your load-order should look like this:
- Code: Select all
| Any non-ship not-CE-related mods you are using
| Better Planets and Backgrounds
| CE Resource Pack
| FTL Captain's Edition
| CE BPaB Compatibility Patch
| CE Additional Music Addon
| CE Infinite Addon
| EL Texture Pack
| CE Endless Loot Addon for CE Infinite
| CE Endless Loot Addon standard CE (never use both)
| CE Non-EL Enemy Loadouts Addon
| CE Vanilla Player Ship Loadouts Addon
V Any ship mods you are using
Note: incompatibility does not necessary mean the game crashes, things might just not work properly.
- Outright incompatible with Balanced Arsenal, New Enemy Classes, Diversity Mod and Infinite Space; Don't use these mods alongside
- Incompatible with most enemy mods, weapon mods, drone mods or event mods
- Currently incompatible with the Corpses mod CE addon, causes crashes
- CE Infinite is generally incompatible with anything that changes the crystal sector
- Most other stuff, specially ship mods and visual mods, should work
What is this anyway?
FTL Captain's Edition is a major overhaul mod-compilation that aims to diversify and extend FTL's game-play on different levels. The mod tries to match the games lore, graphic style and general tone. While it adds a lot of new content, it also aims to maintain the basic balance of the vanilla game.
This should give you an overview of what is include in the mod (asset suffixes in brackets).
Captains Edition General (CE_)
Events, a lot of Events...
A lot of CEs content does not clearly belong to a certain component or a certain project. There are a lot of small or big events that have been added now and then, and there is actual no exact count on how many new events there are now. It feels like a lot. Some general stuff that has been done with events so far:
- Distress beacons have been diversified, there are many new distress encounters
- A few highly scripted combat events have been added to various sectors
- Several new global quests have been added
- Various cut vanilla events have been reworked an re-added to the game
- Encounters with harmless civilians have been added
- All of CEs gear has been seaming less integrated into events and offers appropriate blue options
- A lot of vanilla text lists for flavour texts have been extended
- Ship destruction events gained more unique flavour texts, depending on faction (courtesy of slowridersxchorps)
- The Tips at the beginning of the game have been vastly extend to give tips about CE
- Probably more stuff that I have forgotten about...
The empty beacons of vanilla FTL, the jump nodes where nothing happens, have become quite an important thing in Captain's Edition. They are used to for a lot of other features, especially for new augments.
Empty beacons also give you some time to chat with your crew. That is always a good option if you have nothing to do. Conversing with your crew might give you some details on their past or information on the game world. Sometimes it might even lead to hidden quests or rewards.
CE will allow you to offer surrender at the beginning of most fights in which you are actively attacked. Just like enemies, you will have to offer some resources as a price. And just like you, your opponent might not accept surrender. Better make a good offer, it can save your live.
Traveling to a new sector is kind of a big thing in CE. While performing long-range jumps to new sectors you can decide on how much fuel you want to spent during the travel. If you are about to run out then you can always resort to your emergency reserve, but that will have the Rebels catch up with. By spending more fuel you can try to outrun the fleet.
Lore Perks and Meta Play-styles
CE tries to make the player ships of the various factions feel more unique, in a way that matches FTLs lore. A lot of the player ships get additional blue options that are related to the faction of this respective ship. Certain equipment also allow for similar distinct "secondary play-styles", that offer a way to gain resources outside of- or advantages in combat.
On-board Engineering and Meta Play-styles
On-board engineering let's you customize your ship into certain direction, in a way completely independent from your standard system upgrades. With certain gear (mostly augs), engineering options will become available at empty beacons. Your crew will be able to build stackable copies of augments you already have or new augments that supports you other gear. This needs time and more resources than simply buying the augment at shops, but makes it easier to customize a ship for a certain play style. A lot of the vanilla augments are less powerful on their own now, but offer to fully dedicate your ship to the advantages this augment holds by engineering copies of it.
All this together makes many Meta Play-styles possible. Some examples:
- Asteroid Miner
- Mine layer
- Factory Ship
- AI ship
- Brood Ship/Clone Ship
- Retaliation Ship
- Gunslinger Ship
- Missile Boat
- Fast shield charging Defence Ship
- Drone Carrier
- Science Vessel
A modified version of liakad's diversityMod, (done by Istarune), is included in this compilation for your convenience.
Battle Stations! (BS_)
An old Federation station, taken over by pirates.
A Lanius station, in the process of collapsing.
The Battle Stations component lets you encounter and fight space stations of the different factions. They will appear in completely new events across all sectors. These distinct kind of enemies have strong hulls, but as stationary installations they usually have no engines and can not dodge. This might require you to take them on differently than normal enemies and makes certain weapons more/less effective against them.
There is one station design for each faction, all completely with gibs and cloak images, and they come in different layouts as well. There are neutral stations to encounter and you can also find a few new quests that involve fighting or boarding stations. For more details you can see the mods original development thread.
Cruiser Extension (C_)
This part of Captains Edition aims on diversifying the Rebel fleet by letting you encounter various capital ships during certain events. The Rebel Fleet should feel even more like a proper Fleet now, a threat that has to be taken seriously. At Rebel occupied beacons you might have to face various ships (ranging from corvettes to battlecruisers) that are equally or even better equipped than your player cruiser. Fleeing will often be your best bet. The capital ships can sometimes also be encountered in Rebel Sectors, in CEs new Federation Sectors and during the Last Stand. They come in different layouts as well, again all completely with gibs and cloak image. Encountering capital ships is quite flavor heavy, most of them even have their own unique name.
A big thanks to Kieve for supplying his great Rebel Destroyer ship model. His support made it possible to extend this component of Captains Edition even further.
New Enemy Classes (TB_ originally called "Type B Enemies") adds over thirty new enemies layouts to the game that use new tactics and sometimes distinct weaponry. You can check out the details in the original mod thread.
The new classes fill different roles and all have certain strengths and weaknesses. Some are more dangerous than others. Not all factions have access to all classes, they are distributed so that they fit the lore. Some of the new classes do behave quite different than vanilla enemies. You might have to rethink you strategy. Shields and weapons are no longer always the primary targets. Your ship and crew might have to face new dangers too and your might consider upgrading other defensive systems apart from shields and engines earlier.
Some of the new enemies use new ship models, most of which have been contributed to CE by countless ship modders. Big thanks to all of you!
CEs rare AI faction further fields various ships and stations of a completely separate, new design:
Balanced Arsenal (BA_) adds about 90 new weapons that are available for the player and for the most part to the enemies as well. The weapons are designed to fit within vanilla and it's balance. Numbers wise, most of these weapons are balanced after another already existing weapon, but differ in way that should make using them feel new and tactically interesting. Some of them have quite unique functions and uses and allow for new tactics in combat. Check out the details in the original mod thread.
The array of new weapons pointed at you can feel overwhelming at first. If you learn what weapon does what, then it will be easier to react appropriate in case it is pointed at you. Just the same like in vanilla FTL.
Heavy Burst Laser Artillery, installed on the Kestrel
Verdict Focus Beam Artillery
Waveform EMP while being fired
Similar to the original Open Artillery mod, CE enables artillery systems for all player ships. Various different artillery weapons have been added for all factions and they can be bought at shops like any other system. Most of the different artillery weapons match the Vindicator beam in terms of damage potential, but deal their damage in a different way that often require you to adjust your combat tactics accordingly. The Vindicator still somewhat rules them all, as the ultimate "power and forget" weapon. But the new artilleries all offer some pretty distinct advantages by themselves. Some of them do not deal direct damage, but allow you to gain a significant edge in combat through different means. Getting artillery for you ships is a high investment/high reward affair, not unlike buying cloaking.
Drone Extension (DE_) tries to diversify drones as much as Balanced Arsenal diversifies ship mounted weapons. (Drones Plus already did a a good job with that, but apparently is no longer supported.) Currently, about 40 new drones are added to the game. Some of the drones that where planned didn't work as intended, they didn't make it into the mod and are sad now.
Further some of the gear is considered too situational to be available in shops all the time. You might still come across this stuff on rare occasion.
A lot of CE custom weapons and drones feature custom projectiles and impact graphics as well.
CE also modifies some Impact graphics to show small, vanilla-like UI prompts (put there by your ship computer). This is mainly for flavor, but can also warn you about dangerous weapons fired at you. Weapons that leave no visual traces always feature indicators like that.
some of CE's UI stuff
some of the new crew skins that have been integrated into main CE since version 1.2
Augment Extension (AE_)
I guess you get the idea. Augment Extension (AE_) currently adds about twenty new augments to the game. Passive vanilla-like augments with new effects currently can't be made via xml.editing. That's why the AE augs are all dummies that enfold their potential through events. The implementation is designed to be well streamlined. This component introduced a hidden choice layer in every situation where an opponent gets hostile, allowing you to deploy your combat augs. So you finally can hack your enemies life support, disrupt their teleporters, scramble their weapon targeting and generally mess around with the opponents systems a whole lot lot.
AE's augments fall into three categories, although the lines between them are a little blurry:
Can be used every time when an enemy gets hostile. Your ship only provides enough power for one of these, but with certain equipment it's possible to put together a dedicated disrupter ship that can run more than on combat aug at the same time. (Note: disrupting a system that has already been disrupted by another augment will override the effect and is not advisable.)
Some enemies will use these augments against you, but if your know their effect you can learn to counter them by upgrading your systems accordingly.
Support Augments/Production Augments
Help to gain or conserve resources and generally can help you in various not directly combat related ways. Support augments often need empty beacons to be used. Empty beacons are the places that offer no options beside continuing on, areas where you are alone and undisturbed. Starting beacons of new sectors count as empty beacons as well. Some of these augments also require other resources and some require time to be operated, which will make the Rebels advance faster.
Provide blue options in certain situation. Generally pretty cheap.
Disrupting systems that already have been effected by another augment or the event itself is not working (overrides the first effect) and should be avoided. Using ion weapons on the system should still works as if the disrupted system bars are not there at all. Direct damage is first dealt to the disrupted bars.
The internal effector works well against certain systems and not so great against others. This is for balancing reasons. If your enemy has buffer bars, it might actually not disrupt certain systems at all. Level three sensors can help you see and predict how effective the Effector might be.
Trade Extension (TE_)
Trade Extension adds a very basic trade system to FTL. Currently there are about fifty different trade goods in the mod. Trade goods count as augments and use up cargo space (aka augment slots.) They can be bought and sold in trade events at each shop you visit.
Different sectors supply and demand different commodities. Shops usually don't buy the goods that are available in the respective sector, but transporting goods to other sectors nets profits. If you know where a certain cargo is in high demand and plan your route through the sectors accordingly, you can make good scrap without your ship into more danger. But be careful: Your Rebel pursues will not rest while you negotiate prices and load commodities. Trading takes time and makes the Rebel fleet catch up faster with you. The main advantage of trading is that it removes risk. Profits might turn out smaller than from scraping enemy ships, but trading does not put your ship into danger.
-Most important of all: Selling currently requires player corporation. When selling goods in the trade events, you need to sell the goods to the shop afterwards to get your full payment. There is no way to for modders to force you to do this (o remove augs in an automated way), so cheating and breaking the trade system is possible every time you sell goods in events. Just cooperate ok? To remind you of this situation, you will get a subtle hint every time you sell stuff:
[Reminder: Not selling off the goods at the shop breaks the trade system and means you are cheating.]
-Player has to be sure that he has space when buying, else he has to leave an argumentation behind or sell one to the shop and loose some money
-Right now, you can't buy and sell during the same event
-Profit can't be balanced according to difficulty, trading gives the same profit on all difficulties. It was originally balanced to fit into normal mode. It is actually more lucrative in hard mode, because you gain less scrap there from regular rewards.
-Trading cheap goods is usually only profitable early on, cause combat rewards scale up significantly. This is because prices and profits are can only be set to fixed values.
Sector Extension (SE_)
Sector Extension gives you six new sector types to explore. Currently included are Hazard Sectors, Federation Controlled Sectors, Civilian Coreworlds, Industrial Sectors, Quarantine Sectors and AI Controlled Sectors. The new sectors are designed to follow certain themes and should feel like a distinct area to travel to. Each offers new challenges and opportunities. The majority of these sector's events are custom made and with the CE Additional Music Addon you can even get a custom soundtrack for these sectors.
To make your journey more unique, Sector Extension also includes a few hundred custom names for each sector type, randomized on each play through. In time you will realize that these names follow certain patterns. These indicate to which kind of sector you are actually traveling.
Due to all the things CE changes,the range of difficulty when comparing sector types is somewhat greater than in vanilla FTL, also when, let's say, only comparing hostile sectors. I can give is a vague impression on the difficulty progression, mainly concerning damage potential to ship. Its all situational of course, there is no real fixed progression:
Engi Controlled Sectors
Zoltan Controlled Sectors
Pirate Controlled Sectors
Mantis Controlled Sectors
Slug Controlled Nebula
Rock Controlled Sectors
Rebel Controlled Sectors
Federation Controlled Sectors
AI Controlled Sectors
Hazard Extension (HE_)
Hazard Extension adds nine new hazard environments to the game. Initially the concept was derailed a little and lead to the implementation of planetary artillery events for some factions. The Rebel fleet might also target you with these weapons if they catch up with you.
Planetary Artillery PDS and the Rebel Fleet PDS are devastating long range weapon that can severely damage your ship. They fire multiple shots in one barrage, pierce all shields, deal heavy damage and can also cause fires and breaches, but they also charge extremely slow. A lone cruiser should avoid getting hit by these weapons at all cost. Events that feature this weapons strive to create tense deadline fights.
Minefields where also added in HEs first phase.
Since 1.08, HE also features various purely environmental hazards for your to deal with and explore. Most of them are connected to the new sorts of nebula that are featured in some of the new sector types. These are just a few examples of what you can encounter:
Icefields far away from active stars. The absence of background radiation makes cloaking useless here
Remember: Don't let the nano-bot cloud eat your ship!
The optional CE Infinite Addon lets you roam the galaxy freely. You don't have to worry much about the Rebel fleet and can trevel endlessly through the game, but you can always decide to take on you mission again and try to get closer to Federation base, whenever you like. This addon makes some pretty profound changes to how the game and CE feels, much like the original Infinite Space mod does. However it does things also a little differently.
Unlimited Contested Deep Space Sectors
CE Infinite gives you a choice at every exit beacon. Do you want to continue to roam the depth of space or do you want to pursue you mission and head towards the Federation base? If you like to, you can indefinitely travel deep space and become a powerful pirate captain, a wealthy trader, a diplomatic peace keeper or many other things. Deeps space regions are contested between the different factions of the game, almost all events from regular FTL and CE can happen there, giving them a great variety of encounters. But they are also far away from major trade centers, so stores will be more rare there. Enemies will also scale up significantly in later sector levels. Surviving deeps space will be easy at first, but can become desperate struggle for survival in the late game.
Player Controlled Difficulty Scaling
Whenever you decide to travel towards the Federation Base at an exit beacon, you will progress one sector like in regular FTL. Enemies will get stronger, also in the adjective deep space regions. This way it is always up to you how difficult the game will get. If you grind many deep space sectors, your ship upgrades will make you a dominant force after some time. But rapidly increasing upgrade cost will also make it more difficult to progress quickly. Fight might also become less challenging overall. Traveling towards the Federation base on the will not only increase enemy strength, but also increases scrap rewards, just like in vanilla FTL. A system no unlike that of regular open world RPGs or MMOs. It is completely up to you when you want to proceed to the next sector lvl and therefor increase risk and rewards.
Slow Upgrade Progression
Ship upgrades generally cost much more in CE Infinite and they get exponentially more expensive. You will be forced to travel towards the Federation Base if you want increased scrap rewards to keep up with the rising costs. But if you advance to fast, enemies might overwhelm you.
Limited Rebel pursuit
With CE Infinite, the galactic conflict you are involved in is not gone. The addon just implies that it happens on a much greater scale. The Federation base is extremely far away and the events that happen while you travel there could happen during months or even years. The Rebel fleet still pursues you, but will generally catch up with you much slower. And space is limitless - There is always another fringe region you can run to, the Rebels can't look for you everywhere immediately at once.
Full CE support
All the above features of FTL Captain's Edition are also included in CE Infinite. All the gear is available to you and enemies alike. Advancing towards the Federation Base will lead you to a regular sector, it might even be one of CEs newly introduced sector types. The contested deep space sectors you can travel to will feature an extreme wide array of events, basically almost all events that are included in CE. Only very location specific events, like the ones from Quarantine or AI sectors are not included. Even trading is still possible, deep space stores will be random and only available once per sector, but there is a high chance that you can sell the goods in the next sector. The static rewards and slow fleet progression makes trading even more profitable in CE Infinite. Engineering is also more powerful, because it is much cheaper than regular ship upgrade.
Even if you grinded your ship into a powerhouse, some enemies in the later sectors will still be able to take you on. All enemies that can only appear after certain sectors have been beefed up for CE Infinite, so don't get too careless. Further, jumping towards the Federation base requires a lot of fuel, providing a constant side mission for you. If you get stranded and the fleet should catch up with you after all, then the Rebels you face will be even more vicious than in standard CE. If you advance to sector 7 deep space, you will continuously face well equipped enemies. But the high scrap rewards will eventually let you max out you ship. Its still up to you if you want to complete you mission. Should you decide to travel to sector eight you will face a slightly stronger Rebel Flagship than usual.
The CE Endless Loot Addon introduces procedural content generation in FTL. This component of CE has been made possible entirely by the efforts of rannl, who programmed the tool that generates the content. This is how the tool looks at work:
Awesome! Just add some blueprints and prefixes, and viola: Thousands of variations!
The tool uses a technique similar to what is done in classic and current loot based games, like Diablo or Boarderlands. Each base weapon and drone can have various prefixes applied to it. Prefixes alter certain stats of the item for the good or worse, resulting in a broad variate of gear. A very broad variaty actually, we are talking thousands and maybe even ten thousands of items once we get multy-prefix support to not overwhelm SMM with the sheer amount of blueprints.
Each item, even if it based on the same base weapon, behaves and plays slightly or vastly different than another. Weapons and drones might be outdated or upgraded, modified for special roles or striped of certain functions. All these changes are also reflected in the price and rarity of the item and weapons and drones will appear visually different with certain prefixes.
But the Addon does not just broadly diversify gear (weapons and drones that is), it also does the same for enemies. You might encounter hostiles that are already damaged, or have additional armor plating. Ships might be out of ammo when engaging your, or they might be on resupply duty, carrying additional missiles and drone parts. Enemy crew might be decimated by previous engagements with other forces. Enemy ships might even be refit to perform better in a certain area, or they might be equipped with specialized augments for certain purposes.
The procedural generated content addon produces in a wider range of good and bad gear than regular CE. It also makes enemies way more unpredictable, unless you play with the sub-addon that inhibits enemies from using the the gear (which is what I generally recommend.) This addon makes the game more rich, but also more random. It is mainly designed to be used with CE Infinite. The sandbox environment of endless play is, in my opinion, where it works best and feels most natural.
-Drones can't target incoming swarm missiles efficiently
-Start and exit beacon that happen to be placed within new nebula types will still show regular nebula, can't be changed
-New Nebula types might still randomly contain regular nebula beacons, cause of this is unknown
-Also see limitations of Trade Extension and Augment Extension above
Integrated Mods and Assets
FTL Captain's Edition currently includes the following stand alone mods, assets and projects:
-diversityMod (visuals only) by likad, modified by Istarune
-Rebel Destroyer ship model, originally from Turning The Tide by Kieve
-New Enemy Classes, by Sleeper_Service (thats me)
-Balanced Arsenal by Sleeper_Service
-Engi pirate ship models by kartoFlane
-Asteroid Station ship model, based on The Asteroid by 5thHorsemen
-Federation Light Artillery ship model by R4V3-ON
-Rock Brawler ship model (recoloured), originally by Ericrumor
-Red Crystal enemies and weapons by Killox3
-Federation Ambusher ship model by Cyk0
-Mantis Minelayer ship model by R4V3-ON
-Part of the sM Polish Kit by: slowriderxcorps
-Almost all of Tweevlies Typ B enemy ship hulls
-Various Engi Typ B and C ship model by R4V3-ON
- Typ C enemy hulls by iiiyyylll
-Event Ideas/events/flavour texts by: Snowhusky5, Estel, rannl, KJ4VO, r2d2go and many others
-ELs procedurally generated content by Rannl
-ELs visual variants by Rannl
-Detailed Crew Portraits Graphics mod by LordTrilobite
There is still the idea of the new pirate home world sector floating around, also new quests and conversations might still be added.
Mod Integration of other peoples mods for player convenience would be possible, although not really necessary, as FTL has not to much compatibility issues.
Special Thanks to:
The creators of the game, its still awesome!
liakad, for the Diversity Mod
karmos, for Drones Plus
Kieve, for supplying his Rebel Destroyer ship model
Snowhusky and Estel, for their event ideas
kartoFlane, for the Subliminal Ship Editor, the Error Checker and his help with early and late testing; without his tools CE could never have grown that big and run that stable
solarion for his support with spell-checking
slowriderxcorps for his support with spell-checking and for the effort with his sM Polish Kit mod and the CE integration
5thHorsemen, R4V3-ON, Ericrumor and Killox3 for contributing their ship hulls
Sanmonkus, for allowing to use his great backgrounds and planets
Jep, Joshklement, Masterplayer 1337, CaptainLordAvalon, kartoFlane, mict5pn for their help with spell checking on github
rannl, for writing great flavour texts and in general investing so much time as a co-writer
Tweevle, for supplying a lot of great type B enemy ship images
Russian Rockman for his great graphic tweaks of various visual assets
KJ4VOV for all the time he invested in professionally spell checking the mod
KeronCyst for more help with spell checking
rannl for the countless hours he has invested into the tool that made EL possible and his great support for the mod in general
iiiyyylll for his typ C hull images for enemies
LordTrilobite for his supplying Detailed Crew Portrait Graphics mod
All the modders out there that keep experimenting with FTL, a lot of CEs features are inspired by other mods
Everyone who has posted bug reports here to help making this run stable
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/. All assets of this mod, besides third party ones which are not created by the author, are free to use for other modders, as long as they use them for non-commercial purposes and are willing to share their work alike.
Sleeper Service wrote:Mandrake wrote:I just signed up to say 'Thanks!' for this incredible mod. It's awesome. Do you take donations via Paypal perhaps? I'd love to send you a few dollars.
Oh wow money... yeah I'm not really interested in that stuff. Also CE is just a mod, It couldn't exist without vanilla FTL, that is where the credit should go. I'm just mashing up some xmls and sprites here and I already gained a lot (in the form of fun) by making it. But if the mod gave you a good time, if you have money to spare and if you want to make me happy, consider donating to a local NGO in your area in exchange for the joy you had with CE. Maybe one that deals with drug prevention, social-equality or woman’s rights.