[MOD] Twinge's Balance Mod (Current Version: 6.3.1) (Old)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Spock

Re: [MOD][Updated] Twinge's Balance Mod (v0.5.3 Beta)

Postby Spock » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Thank you for your detailed reply!

Twinge wrote:I think I'd rather keep the Burst Laser II powerful - it's fine (and even good) if the weapons aren't perfectly line with each other as long as everything can be useful. As you may have seen my current approach was to increase the BL2's cooldown slightly and increase the cost making it less of an auto-buy when found at stores.

Hmm... I'd rather prefer if weapons were in line. They already have different stats (heavy lasers being better when they get through shields etc.), if you keep some strictly better it takes some fun out of the game imho.

Twinge wrote:And BL3 is a little weak currently if anything - definitely wouldn't want to drop their power requirement without massively dropping the cooldown too.

Umm... I think they are on the stronger side of the weapons. In my runs it was often the only weapon that can damage my ship mid/late game.

Twinge wrote:BL3 is obviously MUCH worse than two BL2s for example, but still halfway decent.

I think this is due to BL2 being overpowered. This is also true for heavy laser btw (2x mk I is much better then 1x mk II). That's what I meant when talking about heavier weapons being worse in comparison.

Twinge wrote:As for weapon slots - this is reasonably true for the ships that have 4 weapon slots, but they are a solidly limiting factor for weapons with only 3 weapon slots. For example, Burst Laser III starts looking better on The Nesasio than it does on the Kestrel.

The Nessio is kind of an extreme example here.
Only 6 ship layouts start with 3 weapon slots. Two of them are Mantis Cruisers negating the disadvantage with their powerful boarding abilities. The Engi Cruisers come with 3 drone slots, if drones were really balanced this should outbalance the disadvantage. And the DA-SR 12 already comes with a Glaive Beam, so they already come with a powerful weapon (you quickly run out of power adding 2 weapons with 1 power).
I won the last playthrough with just BL2+Ion Bomb+HL1, and got all 4 slots occupied and active only during one playthrough. So I think 3 is totally sufficient.

Twinge wrote:I'm trying to avoid buffing weaponry too much across the board, because the intent is not to make the game easier overall. There is still some potential tweaking that can be done though; just a matter of figuring out the best way to go about it.

You could nerf light weapons instead of buffing heavy ones :)

If I get the time I will calculate DPS/Power for every weapon.

[edit]Added more points to my argument that weapon slots is not really a limiting factor. I think it would make sense if mark I < mark II < mark III.
Twinge

Re: [MOD] Twinge's Balance Mod (Update: v6.0)

Postby Twinge » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:36 am

Balance Mod updated to version 6.0. (Version system changed since a) I no longer consider this a beta, and b) going to 1.0 makes it sound like an initial release.)

Some changes include:
  • Zoltan crew cost 65->60
  • Additional visual tweaks
  • Hull Missile cooldown reduced
  • Repair Arm price 40->35
  • Recharge Booster effect 30%->35%
  • Nebula weapons trader price 60->45
  • Increased the reward for securing ammo/fuel supply in the ion storm from low to medium
  • Added an option to the Rock mine layer event where you can take heavy hull damage instead of risking your crew
  • Tweaked some scrap rewards up and others down
FTL Tips & Tricks Video Series

Catch my stream on Twitch

Improve game balance, fix bugs, and have more decisions: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod
Twinge

Re: [MOD] Twinge's Balance Mod (Update: v6.1)

Postby Twinge » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:33 pm

Whoops, accidentally had a small bug where Zoltan B started with a drone system in 6.0 leftover from some testing. Should be fixed for 6.1.

Improve game balance, fix bugs, and have more decisions: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod
Twinge

Re: [MOD] Twinge's Balance Mod (Update: v6.2)

Postby Twinge » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:18 pm

6.2 released:

• Fixed a bug with a fairly uncommon blue event.
  • Ion Blast fires slightly faster - this is relevant for enemy ships with both Ion Blast and Heavy Laser, because now the Ion Blast will hit first.
  • Increased the odds of improved door systems significantly on Zoltan ships.
  • Enemy ships are no longer equipped with Ion Bombs. (it's a very weak weapon for the AI to fire off randomly; removing it from their arsenal improves average strength slightly.)
  • Fire Bombs no longer appear on Auto Drones, but will now appear on Rock ships. (Seems really odd that Rock ships never have Fire Bombs.)
  • The 'Death to all' Rock freighter will no longer offer surrender. (They seem set on killing you or killing themselves; surrender makes no sense here.)

Final note: There appears to be an odd graphical bug potentially associated with the change to Nebula Exit Beacons. I've been unable to recreate it thus far. Please report any oddities found here and what text the associated event had if it happens. See http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/612 ... 9735FAE8E/ for an example of the trippy bug =)

UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:34 am

I'm not so sure removing the Ion Bomb is wise. It takes only 1 power to use and it can seriously mess things up when it hits a system you really don't want hit. Typically shields, weapons and cloaking. They get ioned out forever. :)

I see your point about it being weaker with random aiming, but still. How do you feel about creating an AI-only version of the Ion Bomb? With a shorter cooldown to compensate for random aim? It's a pretty rare weapon, but it can be terrifying.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Twinge

Postby Twinge » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:52 am

UltraMantis wrote:I'm not so sure removing the Ion Bomb is wise. It takes only 1 power to use and it can seriously mess things up when it hits a system you really don't want hit. Typically shields, weapons and cloaking. They get ioned out forever. :)

I see your point about it being weaker with random aiming, but still. How do you feel about creating an AI-only version of the Ion Bomb? With a shorter cooldown to compensate for random aim? It's a pretty rare weapon, but it can be terrifying.

Currently I consider it the single least threatening weapon is the AI's arsenal, so that's why I've removed it. I have considered making a lower CD AI version, but I don't think that'd be enough to move it up from worst weapon status. I would say on average even a Basic Laser is more threatening and likely to deal damage. It *can* hit something you care about at a bad time, but I've found this to be incredibly rare, especially when it's 3 bars for 15 seconds instead of 4 bars for 20 seconds.

5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:00 am

Twinge wrote:
UltraMantis wrote:I'm not so sure removing the Ion Bomb is wise.

Currently I consider it the single least threatening weapon is the AI's arsenal.

I thought it was the least threatening thing, until my Rockmen were beating up on the Auto Scout's shields and he ion bombed my teleporter.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:32 am

5thHorseman wrote:
Twinge wrote:
UltraMantis wrote:I'm not so sure removing the Ion Bomb is wise.

Currently I consider it the single least threatening weapon is the AI's arsenal.

I thought it was the least threatening thing, until my Rockmen were beating up on the Auto Scout's shields and he ion bombed my teleporter.

Yep, such occurences are rare. Bombs skip shields though, and cannot be countered with anything but evasion. It's pretty random in what it does, but it's not a weapon i like to ignore.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:14 pm

Twinge wrote:Currently I consider it the single least threatening weapon is the AI's arsenal, so that's why I've removed it. I have considered making a lower CD AI version, but I don't think that'd be enough to move it up from worst weapon status. I would say on average even a Basic Laser is more threatening and likely to deal damage. It *can* hit something you care about at a bad time, but I've found this to be incredibly rare, especially when it's 3 bars for 15 seconds instead of 4 bars for 20 seconds.

I would like to politely remind you, the game is in the "roguelike" genre - a category practically defined by an almighty Random Number God who is indifferent at best and the unholy Ultimate Evil at worst. Do not underestimate the power of the dark side...

In other words, the occurrence may be random and rare, but when it does happen it's certain to completely ruin your day. :lol:
Twinge

Postby Twinge » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:15 pm

Looks like version 6 is where we find a bunch of small bugs and quash them =)

Version 6.3 changes:
  • Fixed a bug where enemy ships accidentally had an increased chance for Beam Drones.
  • Zoltan Bombers (the ones with drones) no longer appear in Sector 1.
  • Enemy Beam Drones are now the same slightly buffed version that the player uses (they deal about 8% more damage on average).
  • Teleport Level 2 cost 30->35
  • The Nisos now starts with a Level 2 Medbay.
  • The occurrence of Defense II Drones on enemy ships has been reduced. (Because of the reduced power requirement from 4 to 3, this means that how often they show up should be similar to the base game now.)
  • Engi ships can now have Anti-Personnel Drones.
  • The hanger ship display has been fixed to be consistent, so all the systems always show in the same order for all ships. (Thanks to Slow for this suggestion.)