[MOD] Beginning Scrap UPDATED!

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Tails

[MOD] Beginning Scrap UPDATED!

Postby Tails » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:33 am

Beginning Scrap Mod
This is a slight upgrade to the Scrap Advantage mod that comes with Grognak's Mod Manager. As you begin your journey to save the federation, take a moment to make the most of a nearby system.
http://i.imgur.com/Sxjr7m9.png

Peacefully mine some scrap to give yourself a little boost, or take some by force from a nearby settlement...
Be careful though, they will not be happy about you wrecking their homes and taking what is theirs...
http://i.imgur.com/DOwLkqv.jpg

UPDATE: V2.0 You can now also visit a nearby space station full of refugees from the advancing rebel fleet. Perhaps there will be opportunities to get some good stuff or crew!
http://i.imgur.com/8Lb2vVY.png

UPDATE: V2.1 Minor typos fixed. Thanks thashepherd for the read-through.

Direct Download Link
https://www.box.com/s/8c4m2k11ub0fj8qvk7u6

Instructions:
1. Install Grognak's Mod Manager if you haven't already.
2. Download the file Beginning Scrap.ftl and paste it into "/FTL - Faster Than Light/mods". Or if you have it on Steam, into "Steam/SteamApps/common/FTL - Faster Than Light/mods")
3. I recommend you delete "Beginning Scrap Advantage.ftl" as this mod replaces it.
4. Run Grognak's Mod Manager (modman.exe). Select "Beginning Scrap" and click "Patch"
5. Wait until the manager finished integrating the mod and allow it to run FTL if you'd like.
6. Ready to play!
Last edited by Tails on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
nataryeahbuddy

Re: [MOD] Beginning Scrap

Postby nataryeahbuddy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:42 am

Nice, but you should have less people board. They probably will kill your crew and you'll have to start over. Creative, though. Keep up the good work!
My most popular mod! Over 290 Downloads!
Advanced Weapons and Shields!
My second most popular mod! Over 240 Downloads!
Advanced Battle Systems!
An awesome ship with custom graphics and two new weapons!
F-22A Raptor for FTL
Tails

Postby Tails » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:16 pm

nataryeahbuddy wrote:Nice, but you should have less people board. They probably will kill your crew and you'll have to start over. Creative, though. Keep up the good work!

It is the first thing that happens in game when you start one, the idea is to make the ~200 scrap at least a little difficult to get. If your crew dies, no big deal, you start over, dying is a large part of FTL.

However, I was hearing suggestions to teleport fewer boarders, and disable the medbay, that way you have to actually fight them instead of just camping the medbay. We'll see, I kind of like the silly overkill of this version.
silversjunk

Postby silversjunk » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:18 am

What is the point of this? You can't defend against that many boarders as your first action in the game, especially if you disable the medbay.
Tails

Postby Tails » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:25 am

silversjunk wrote:What is the point of this? You can't defend against that many boarders as your first action in the game, especially if you disable the medbay.

I've updated it a bit, there are more options now if you don't feel brave enough to risk the consequences of attacking a helpless colony, although there are now far more different consequences if you do.
thashepherd

Re: [MOD] Beginning Scrap UPDATED!

Postby thashepherd » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:32 am

Typos: "peice" on line 20, "whos" and "thier" on line 28, "desparate", "responisble", and "peice" on line 36, "dilligance" on line 44, "thier" on line 62, couple of uses of "near-by" and a decapitalized Federation.

No biggy, though, we need more Events guys. This is the one area in which FTL's modding potential has not come CLOSE to being tapped.

I suspect, if one were clever enough, that one could cause the Rockman's weapon to "level up" via plot-driven events. Or that a monk could be caused to speak, avoiding a battle yet losing him (or her) as a crewmember. Or that, perhaps, the Engi (being canonical to a fault) might reconfigure their NANO_MEDBAY into something else should the need present itself.
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
Tails

Postby Tails » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:54 am

thashepherd wrote:Typos: "peice" on line 20, "whos" and "thier" on line 28, "desparate", "responisble", and "peice" on line 36, "dilligance" on line 44, "thier" on line 62, couple of uses of "near-by" and a decapitalized Federation.

Fixed, thanks, I usually am mortified by typos in my work, I appreciate the read-through.

thashepherd wrote:I suspect, if one were clever enough, that one could cause the Rockman's weapon to "level up" via plot-driven events. Or that a monk could be caused to speak, avoiding a battle yet losing him (or her) as a crewmember. Or that, perhaps, the Engi (being canonical to a fault) might reconfigure their NANO_MEDBAY into something else should the need present itself.

I don't know about custom weapons, I know it's possible, but I would have to dig around a bit to figure it out. The monk could definitely be a unique crew member involved in some sort of event later on, I'll look into that, great idea. As for the Engis' nanites, I have no idea where to even begin with that, custom augs are beyond my small area of experience, I'd really have to start digging for that.
nataryeahbuddy

Postby nataryeahbuddy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:40 pm

Can I add more choices to this or something? The updated version is pretty cool! :D
My most popular mod! Over 290 Downloads!
Advanced Weapons and Shields!
My second most popular mod! Over 240 Downloads!
Advanced Battle Systems!
An awesome ship with custom graphics and two new weapons!
F-22A Raptor for FTL
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:10 pm

Tails wrote:
thashepherd wrote:I suspect, if one were clever enough, that one could cause the Rockman's weapon to "level up" via plot-driven events. Or that a monk could be caused to speak, avoiding a battle yet losing him (or her) as a crewmember. Or that, perhaps, the Engi (being canonical to a fault) might reconfigure their NANO_MEDBAY into something else should the need present itself.

I don't know about custom weapons, I know it's possible, but I would have to dig around a bit to figure it out. The monk could definitely be a unique crew member involved in some sort of event later on, I'll look into that, great idea. As for the Engis' nanites, I have no idea where to even begin with that, custom augs are beyond my small area of experience, I'd really have to start digging for that.

You can't do unique crew members, and the custom aug you'd need wouldn't be quite as custom as you think...FTL events are funny, in that in order to do something you often have to do the complete opposite thing. I don't want to spoil it because I think you'll figure it out :)
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
The Emperors Angel

Postby The Emperors Angel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:51 am

Hey there, your mod makes it much easier to win, while being not that unbalanced. So, thank you for your time and effort.

I, however, found a bug:
When you run into the event at the start of a sector, but you have a full crew compliment, (or seven I guess, I had 8), and you pick an option that adds crew (going over the maximum of 8, I guess), the game crashes. I thought I could use the weapons pre-loader, and the mantis for boarding, but it crashed to desktop, and I lost the save.

Details: Steam, only other mod was better planets version 1.0, vista, using GMM.

I hope you can take a look at it, or at least place a warning on the page. It's quite annoying.

The Emperors Angel