FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Russian Rockman

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.262/Inf 1.26/EL 1.26b

Postby Russian Rockman » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:47 pm

I agree with Va1id's proposed nerf. I personally have never been able to actually obtain a Beacon Access Kit, :( I have never even seen one in a shop, :cry: so I never noticed any balance problems. :roll: Though I can see how it would get spammed and how you could collect tons of scrap using it. It could potentially turn a regular game into Infinite Space if you hit enough empty beacons. Plus all of the other fleet delaying choices have penalties, minus drone parts/fuel/mines/etc...

Tying the chance of success to sector type sounds like a great idea. However, although it would make sense for the Access Kit to work better in civilian sectors and less in hostile sectors, the problem with spamming the augment mostly happens in civilian sectors due to the more frequent empty beacons. So perhaps it should just have a standard %25 chance of failure? With maybe a %50 of failure in nebula sectors since there are way more empty beacons there. It could have something to do with the fact that the beacons are maintained by a separate network, or that the Rebels have set up a firewall for all the beacons in this matrix already, or that the beacons are using a new frequency since they have only been built recently. ;)

EDIT: Here's a couple more augment related things I noticed when I looked at the files again. It seems like there are no possibilities for enemies to use the new AE combat augs in the CE_ENEMY_COMBATAUG_RANDOM event. There are no Firewall Plating, or Mind Shield, or even Subspace Scanner possibilities. ;) A rare possibility of an enemy using two combat augments at once, with an Internal Generator, would not be bad either. :twisted:

Also, for the "Your enemy is using dirty weapons!" event where the enemy uses a radiation projector against you, there is not choice for Adaptive Gel Suits. I thought you changed the name from Artificial Respirators to Adaptive Gel Suits so that they could be used to protect your crew in a wider variety of environmental hazards. This seems like one of those hazards.

Lastly, you could add some flavor text for the weapons and drone jammer failure events that say the enemy appear to be equipped with an "Advanced Targeting Computer" or "Improved Drone AI" respectively. ;)

EDIT 2: One more thing, I don't really understand the need for the ASB Augment to use up 1 power. The missile cost is already a good enough penalty I think.

And is there any way to prevent the background from changing when using the ASB augment? If not that's fine... :roll: I've learned to deal with broken stuff. :lol: :|
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:50 am

Also, for the "Your enemy is using dirty weapons!" event where the enemy uses a radiation projector against you, there is not choice for Adaptive Gel Suits. I thought you changed the name from Artificial Respirators to Adaptive Gel Suits so that they could be used to protect your crew in a wider variety of environmental hazards. This seems like one of those hazards.

And it does. When your ship is irradiated, the crew dies slower.

What I find annoying about this event is that everyone seems to have this augment. Even Zoltan law enforcement ships. Maybe the dirty weapons should be limited to people who'd be more likely to use it. Like Slugs, Pirates, AIs and possibly the Rockmen.

The description on using the radiation projector already indicates that the crew is uneasy about using it. So why are the space cops so trigger-happy with it?

Maybe the chances of someone using a radiation projector should be higher in quarantine zones. Because if you're travelling through and robbing other ships for scrap, you've gotta take precautions and irradiate everything!

EDIT 2: One more thing, I don't really understand the need for the ASB Augment to use up 1 power. The missile cost is already a good enough penalty I think.

Why do Missile Launchers use up power? The missile cost is already a good enough penalty I think :lol:
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:59 am

stylesrj wrote:

And it does. When your ship is irradiated, the crew dies slower.

Herp Derp, my bad. :lol:

What I find annoying about this event is that everyone seems to have this augment. Even Zoltan law enforcement.

Eh, I don't really mind everyone having this augment, maybe it could be a bit more rare. But I believe there are some events where Slugs and such specifically use radiation.

stylesrj wrote:

Why do Missile Launchers use up power? The missile cost is already a good enough penalty I think :lol:

But the ASB isn't a weapon... ;) And it costs more than 1 missile. It's described as an "autonomous" ASB. But maybe it counts a a a drone and it needs power to be guided remotely or something.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:42 am

Russian Rockman wrote:EDIT: Here's a couple more augment related things I noticed when I looked at the files again. It seems like there are no possibilities for enemies to use the new AE combat augs in the CE_ENEMY_COMBATAUG_RANDOM event. There are no Firewall Plating, or Mind Shield, or even Subspace Scanner possibilities. ;) A rare possibility of an enemy using two combat augments at once, with an Internal Generator, would not be bad either. :twisted:

Yeah, I think I left that out cause this often won't have any effect at all if the player does not have those systems. I feel like even enemy drone jamming is often used without effect. But it is something to consider, maybe especially for Lanius ships, which don't use combat augs yet I think.

Russian Rockman wrote:EDIT 2: One more thing, I don't really understand the need for the ASB Augment to use up 1 power. The missile cost is already a good enough penalty I think.

I mostly wanted this to be coherent with other combat augs. It also lost some of its fail chance in the process.

Russian Rockman wrote:And is there any way to prevent the background from changing when using the ASB augment? If not that's fine... :roll: I've learned to deal with broken stuff. :lol: :|

I whsh. That auto background change is what made "animated" hyperspace possible, so other parts of the mod actually depend on it. :D

stylesrj wrote:What I find annoying about this event is that everyone seems to have this augment. Even Zoltan law enforcement ships. Maybe the dirty weapons should be limited to people who'd be more likely to use it. Like Slugs, Pirates, AIs and possibly the Rockmen.

The description on using the radiation projector already indicates that the crew is uneasy about using it. So why are the space cops so trigger-happy with it?

You mean in Zoltan sectors? Cause I'm pretty sure that normal Zoltan ships can't have it. But it will be used by the Quarantine Patrol ships in Quarantine Sectors, to purge infected ships and stuff. There are some event texts that illustrate this.
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.263/Inf 1.26/EL 1.26b

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:51 pm

Quick update with the requested changes.

CE Update 1.263
- Beacon access kit can fail now; fail chance depends on amount of empty beacons in the current sector
- Advanced FTL navigation now also enables faster hyperspace travel
- Certain factions can now use AE related combat augs against you
- Enemies using combat augs are overall slightly more rare now
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:58 pm

Yeah, I think I left that out cause this often won't have any effect at all if the player does not have those systems. I feel like even enemy drone jamming is often used without effect. But it is something to consider, maybe especially for Lanius ships, which don't use combat augs yet I think.

Like being told I can't use a teleporter without the teleport? Or drones being jammed without the drones to be jammed? Or being told my sensors are down despite flying Lanius B?

Maybe there should be an Artillery Disruptor augment as well, for those two or three ships with artillery (and not the Flagship... I don't think their Artillery is affected by a loss of one bar). Or does the Weapons Jammer do that as well?
I haven't played CE in a while.
Krazyguy75

Postby Krazyguy75 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:02 pm

stylesrj wrote:Maybe there should be an Artillery Disruptor augment as well, for those two or three ships with artillery (and not the Flagship... I don't think their Artillery is affected by a loss of one bar). Or does the Weapons Jammer do that as well?

Actually, Flagships would lose fire rate from their artillery being disrupted. I know cause I once changed it into a player ship.
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:56 pm

Theoretically, this would be the case. However, my observations of Phase 1 and 2 seem to reveal that the reactor actively lacks the power needed to run the artillery weapons at full tilt, since the health of those artillery weapons doesn't change between phases, and it feels like the artillery on Phase 3 does fire faster. More testing would be needed to (dis)prove this.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:22 pm

slowriderxcorps wrote:However, my observations of Phase 1 and 2 seem to reveal that the reactor actively lacks the power needed to run the artillery weapons at full tilt, since the health of those artillery weapons doesn't change between phases, and it feels like the artillery on Phase 3 does fire faster. More testing would be needed to (dis)prove this.

https://getsatisfaction.com/ftlgame/top ... lery_level

It sounds like you are talking about this, and if that is the case, then reactor power has nothing to do with it. Phase 3 artillery does fire faster because the level is overwritten in the first two phases by the lower level artillery.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:31 pm

slowriderxcorps wrote:Theoretically, this would be the case. However, my observations of Phase 1 and 2 seem to reveal that the reactor actively lacks the power needed to run the artillery weapons at full tilt, since the health of those artillery weapons doesn't change between phases, and it feels like the artillery on Phase 3 does fire faster. More testing would be needed to (dis)prove this.

I already found out a loooooong time ago that the weapons fire slower on phase 1-2 because the flagship uses the power of the last artillery tag. So after losing the first 2 weapons, which have lower power, the weapons fire faster.

EDIT: Well RAD beat me to it. :lol:

stylesrj wrote:Maybe there should be an Artillery Disruptor augment as well, for those two or three ships with artillery (and not the Flagship... I don't think their Artillery is affected by a loss of one bar). Or does the Weapons Jammer do that as well?

I THINK that the weapon jammer slightly disrupts the artillery by one bar or something on every ship. But because of some weirdness with the artillery power that we talked about above, my testing has shown the weapon jammer to be completely useless against the flagship. You may want to do some additional testing with that Sleeper and maybe change the flagship jamming event.
Last edited by Russian Rockman on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.