2012 was an exciting year for us at Subset Games. The release of our first game was extremely successful. FTL was better received than we ever imagined. I wanted to take some time to share some of the accolades FTL has been receiving.
First, the most recent news. FTL was Nominated for Excellence in Design and the Seumas McNally Grand Prize in this years Independent Games Festival! This means we’ll be showing off our game on the floor of GDC this March.
Other accolades include:
- IGN called FTL one of the Top 10 Games and their Best PC Strategy Game of 2012 (with a live interview with me & ben – minute 52ish).
- PC Gamer called FTL the Best Shortform Game of 2012.
- At IndieGames.com FTL was named their #1 Strategy Game of the year and #5 Overall GOTY.
- At Indie DB FTL was awarded their Interaction Award and Best Overall Indie Game of 2012.
- Softpedia called FTL the 2012 Best Concept.
- TheKoalition.com labeled FTL as #2 PC game of 2012.
- FTL was listed as one of RockPaperShotgun’s Magnificent and Important games of 2012.
- Venture Beat listed FTL as one of the Best Indie Games of 2012.
- InsideGamingDaily.com nominated FTL for Indie GOTY.
- TheFinancialPost.com called FTL the #4 GOTY.
- NPR called FTL one of their Best Games of 2012.
- Forbes.com chose FTL as their Most Challenging Game of 2012
- Siliconsasquach.com called FTL their #3 GOTY.
- ARoleModel.com called FTL their Indie GOTY.
- GamingPortugal.com has FTL as their #5 GOTY.
- FTL was voted Indie GOTY by the fans of dome.fi.
- Hardcoregamer.com nominated FTL for Best Strategy Game of 2012.
- GamingUnion.net called FTL their Indie GOTY.
- Polygon named FTL their #6 GOTY.
- GameFront and their readers both called FTL their Indie GOTY.
- Jayisgames.com chose FTL as their Strategy Game of the Year.
Please let me know if I’ve missed anything big. (EDIT – Added a few)
With the start of 2013 you may be wondering what our plans are. In the upcoming weeks we will be researching potentially bringing FTL to the tablets. I can’t promise we will fully pursue the port; this is just a ‘test the water’ kind of period.
We have also finished packing and sending the majority of the limited edition Kickstarter posters and are moving onto the other rewards. The art book is nearly done and I’ll start to work on the instruction manual soon. I realize that non-backers are interested in these items as well, so we will be looking for ways to enable you to purchase the PDF’s and potentially posters and other merchandise.
We also intend to be giving a postmortem at this year’s GDC in the Independent Summit.
All this will keep us pretty busy in the coming days.
Thanks for reading and Happy New Year!